Winnall

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

They're not though are they? Nowhere near enough, because we don't create enough chances. We're 27 league games into the season and our top scorer has 8 goals. There are 18 players in the division who have scored more goals than our top scorer, some of them are midfielders and some clubs have two players above him. 

Joao actually has a pretty decent goals per game record but after his 8 goals (half of which he's basically created for himself) our next highest scorer is a midfielder and our other two regular strikers have managed 4 and 2 goals respectively.  

Again you've just repeated my point.

The strikers are still scoring on the limited chances they are getting. It's not their fault for our lack of goals.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

Just now, handworth52 said:

take it you didn't go yesterday? he couldn't jump an inch to try to win a ball and quite rightly got stick from us for it. he has his 2 year deal and now might as well sit on his fat arse as he is offering absolutely nothing on the pitch.  

How high did Hooper jump?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Animis said:

Winnall was the leading scorer in the Championship when we bought him - he was given barely a chance due to the Rhodes signing, but chipped in when played. Shipped out to Derby with little thought IMO.

Little thought? Carlos was chomping at the bit to get Butterfield in....

11 minutes ago, alanharper said:

They're not though are they? Nowhere near enough, because we don't create enough chances. We're 27 league games into the season and our top scorer has 8 goals. There are 18 players in the division who have scored more goals than our top scorer, some of them are midfielders and some clubs have two players above him. 

Joao actually has a pretty decent goals per game record but after his 8 goals (half of which he's basically created for himself) our next highest scorer is a midfielder and our other two regular strikers have managed 4 and 2 goals respectively.  

Only four teams have scored less than us. 

4 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Is Penney Injured ?

I'd like to see him developed if not, seems to have fallen out of favour.

He's young so bound to make the odd gaff, but the Lad is quick, has skill and not afraid to get forward.

Final ball needs work but his attacking intent what we sorely need.

He's got to learn to concentrate for an hour and a half before he can be considered for selection.

4 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Take your point but we're leaking goals anyway, at least he offers a threat even if it comes at a price.

He could be one for the future.. I hope he comes good.

The real problem we've got is that we've just been trounced by Hull... with a team that shouldn't be hammered by any one in this division...there will be an exodus and we need the right ones in and the wrong ones out... we're not good at this sort of thing.

3 hours ago, Animis said:

Winnall was the leading scorer in the Championship when we bought him - he was given barely a chance due to the Rhodes signing, but chipped in when played. Shipped out to Derby with little thought IMO.

Feel sorry for Winnall. His goal spree/confidence at Barnsley has gone to waste, only we could do such a thing.

And then the loan swap with Butterfield was a tragic decision.

1 hour ago, np pontefract said:

Our top scorer has 9 goals and is currently playing for Norwich City. 

And that's just one of our problems.

Hes scored 6.

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

He could be one for the future.. I hope he comes good.

The real problem we've got is that we've just been trounced by Hull... with a team that shouldn't be hammered by any one in this division...there will be an exodus and we need the right ones in and the wrong ones out... we're not good at this sort of thing

For me, dependant on contracts, we should sell/release Boyd, Fox, Niuhu, Fletcher, Lees, Abdi, Van Aken and Pelupessy.

I'd preferably like to keep FF, Bannan & Reach, that said I don't see how Bruce will have a funds to rebuild without selling any of them.

It's tricky.

The tactic of a single central striker is to allow players from a 5 man midfield to make forward runs in behind the opposition defence. Neither Fletcher or Nuhiu seemed capable of holding off the Hull defenders long enough. The midfielders simply stopped or never even started making those runs. 

The result was a constant stream of Hull attacking as we did not retain possession.

More work on the training ground or a change of formation needed. Luton will be analysing yesterday’s game in detail tomorrow I fear.

Edited by Blatter
Corrected autospel

I have had enough of looking at a front line that does not give expectation of goals. I don't mean a worldy or a pen or a deflection. I mean somebody that is able to shoot and score in the 6 or 18 yard box. Someone who knows where the ball will be played from and where. Someone who does not head It over, wide or fall over. Someone who gives a poo , someone who cares without needing to "choose" to care. Someone that is good enough, young enough and fit enough. Maybe I expect too much, but maybe we have all got used to an abject forward line. Winnall is probably all that exists that "could" deliver on all fronts. That is not enough.