Dawson

I’m not posting my credentials because there’s no way of anyone veryfying them, just like there’s no way of anyone veryfying yours but you crack on   

winning 1 in 10 and dawson gets to be the scapegoat after 2 mins of bad defending. If his confidence is shot who is to blame for continually wanting westwood back when dawson done well in most games. Jos has backed dawson all the way ! pity some of the fans haven't. I hate to say it but if Dawson does actually have a bad game that costs us points the westwood happy clappers are as much to blame as Jos for dragging his confidence down.The toxic atmosphere at hillsborough is down to constant negativity and some fans have to shoulder some responsibility on how the dawson situation is unfolding. I hate to put the blame on any single player in a team game, many of the outfield players are much more culpable for the losses we had so far this season than dawson is.

• Haha 1

We've got experienced pros who are probably not in next season's but who are contracted to us now. I get that playing youngsters and giving them a chance is good in one sense but not using all the tools available when clearly things are going very badly is not clever. Dawson has done okay, but he is not our best keeper. Neither do I think Jones, Boyd and Hutchinson would do worse than several other younger players that are constantly selected at LB or in midfield. It seems to me freezing players out is both divisive and stupid.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

7 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

.The toxic atmosphere at Hillsborough is down to constant negativity 

The team has performed badly, for the most part, both at home and away from Hillsborough. I believe that the vast majority are wanting the team to do well and give them something to cheer so that they can give them their full backing. TBH it's been dire, at times. Negative crowd reaction has stemmed from negative tactics and lack of any coherent team play, coupled with the inevitable defensive blunders we present to opposing teams. 

17 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

The narrow angle that the shot was taken from means it should have been saved, most keepers at this level would have kept it out IMO.

Like Westwood did when he was beaten at his near post when the pigs hammered us last season? 

There was no pressure on the Swansea midfielder when he played the ball. Basic defending that you don’t play offside when there is no pressure on the ball, it’s schoolboy stuff that we can’t even do correctly.

Our midfield is not strong enough so we could play 6 at the back and it won’t make a difference, we need 3 central midfielders so we can actually win the ball back in midfield rather than sitting back and inviting pressure. Hutch and Pelupessy as holding midfielders for me so bannan can get on the ball further up the pitch rather than mincing about with it around the halfway line.

We also need a new CB. Loovens is way way past his best, his legs had gone 2 years ago but I would have him back in a heartbeat because our captain who despite playing hundreds of championship games has no clue how to organise a defence and is far too nice. We need someone in there who knows when to foul and when to be aggressive. We are far too nice and treat other teams like we are playing our best friends.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Shot went through Dawson's legs today and through his hands last week. That's three points dropped in two matches. Time to give him a rest IMO. Another  howler might just set his progress back.

De Gea's just let one through his legs.....do you think Man United will leave him out for their next prem game?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

We've got experienced pros who are probably not in next season's but who are contracted to us now. I get that playing youngsters and giving them a chance is good in one sense but not using all the tools available when clearly things are going very badly is not clever. Dawson has done okay, but he is not our best keeper. Neither do I think Jones, Boyd and Hutchinson would do worse than several other younger players that are constantly selected at LB or in midfield. It seems to me freezing players out is both divisive and stupid.

I'd love to know which of Jones, Boyd and Hutchinson you think would be ok at left back.....baring in mind Hutchinsons reluctance to play in a slightly different midfield role to the one he wants, you can just imagine his reaction at being asked to play at left back

Just now, Ian said:

I'd love to know which of Jones, Boyd and Hutchinson you think would be ok at left back.....baring in mind Hutchinsons reluctance to play in a slightly different midfield role to the one he wants, you can just imagine his reaction at being asked to play at left back

Hutch could play CB and Thorniley LB. Boyd has played LB and though not ideal he has contributed more in assists and actual goals than Fox or any of the other FBs to be honest over the last 18 months.

6 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

The team has performed badly, for the most part, both at home and away from Hillsborough. I believe that the vast majority are wanting the team to do well and give them something to cheer so that they can give them their full backing. TBH it's been dire, at times. Negative crowd reaction has stemmed from negative tactics and lack of any coherent team play, coupled with the inevitable defensive blunders we present to opposing teams. 

could not agree more

Personally, I would take Dawson out of the firing line.  For his own good.  Last thing we want to do is ruin him.

We have three keepers on the books, and yet only one is taking all the flak.  

If Westwood won't get picked for a variety of reasons, then the obvious choice would be to give Wildsmith a chance.  

I don't get the whole "rest him" or loan him out ...

He's getting experience, albeit not a good one with us at the moment .. no point dropping him or resting him for other players errors

Dawson is the very least of our problems and if its anyone thats wrecking his confidence, it will be the fans getting on his case and calling him dogsh*t when he concedes goals. Goals which other top class keepers have conceded, if not worse ones!

Watch the game and you will see that our midfielders offer ZERO protection to the defence and the defence is so pouros it is unbelievable .. its sunday league stuff ..

We've been dealt an utter cack hand this season thanks to DC and CC's incompetence in the transfer market and a complete and utter lack of future proofing and forethought.

F*cking shambles

On 15/12/2018 at 18:24, lanzaroteowl said:

Second goal went straight through him. Inexcusable. 

Hang on he's only 23,how can you expect a player at 23 to be good. Stick with him until we go down to please those with their eyes closed and fingers in their ears. 

4 minutes ago, LoadABallacks said:

We are so bad defensively, both individually and collectively as a team, at the moment that even if we had Buffon in his prime in our net it would make little difference.  

I think some of the stick at the moment towards Dawson is a little over the top. Fans are just frustrated.  

Please stop with the apologetics. He is nowhere near ready for the Championship. By that same token I think if we had a back four Alba, Nesta, Maldini and Roberto Carlos we would still be shipping goals. 

Perfectly good goalie, as the stats prove - but the vultures are always ready to leap on his carcass after he dares to make the odd dodgy decision.  Funny, I remember both Springetts, Grummitt, Hodge, Pressman and the rest (inc Westwood) all making mistakes, and not having their legs taken from them, by 'experts' who can't wait to moan on.  So much for the old ethic of encouragement... 

Edited by hangonrose

On 15/12/2018 at 17:08, upperwinngardensowl said:

By no means is he the main culprit, but, if only we had an experienced keeper on the books who could organise the defence and position himself for shots better......

Have thought Westwoods abilities in sorting out his back line and more over giving the defenders in front of him confidence he will be in the right position was important in our last two seasons (relative) successes. 

Can't think of any other club that would persist with a goal keeper who has kept just 2 clean sheets all season over a tried and tested keeper who saved us so many points over the last two seasons.