Dawson

Anyone blaming Dawson for either of today’s goal is very very stupid

Goal 1 - The scorer is in acres to pick his spot and Dawson is unsighted by 2 or 3 players bang directly in front of him

Goal 2 - Badly let down again to be 1 on 1. Sometimes the feet keep them out and sometimes they squirm through 

I feel for him but disagree this is ruining him, he’s mentally strong and think this run will aid his development long term 

Not good enough but the same could be said about a number of players Jos plays regularly. Westwood is a better keeper full stop and questions on the judgement of the manager are still open. 

We need rid and an open and honest admission needs to be made as to why players are stopped from playing at the detriment of the team. Fed up of this regime dry bumming the fans.

I can’t understand why Wildsmith has been sidelined in the way he has been this season. Was very much thrown in the deep end last season in not too dissimilar circumstances to Dawson this but apart from the odd mistake he came through a testing time fairly well. 

You’d think he’d be a better keeper this season for his experiences last but good old Tos has gone to blood another rookie who in all honesty is as out of his depth on the pitch as the manager is on the sidelines. 40 goals conceded in 22 games. There’s a danger Dawson’s career is over before it’s begun?

39 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Goal 1 - The scorer is in acres to pick his spot and Dawson is unsighted by 2 or 3 players bang directly in front of him

Goal 2 - Badly let down again to be 1 on 1. Sometimes the feet keep them out and sometimes they squirm through 

I feel for him but disagree this is ruining him, he’s mentally strong and think this run will aid his development long term 

yep …..

This pathetic experiment needs binning off now.  Dawson needs taking out of the firing line before we totally ruin him.  Should be nowhere near the squad for the foreseeable future.

Send him out on loan in January to League One/Two.  Let him make his mistakes elsewhere, he’s been found out at Championship level.  Build his confidence at a lower level, away from the pressure of playing for a club our size, then reconsider Dawson’s squad role in the summer.

Westwood should be the first name on the team sheet next Saturday.  An apology to Westwood from the ‘powers that be’ wouldn’t be too much to ask either, considering the treatment he’s had from whoever it is that picks the team.

None of the above will happen of course.  That would mean that DC/Luhukay/Doyern would have to stop being so petulant and admit that mistakes have been made.

12 minutes ago, Gresh said:

Awful defending by Joao on the first goal where he was ball watching and let his man go who placed a perfect cross into the box.  On the second goal someone played the right winger onside, not sure who.

Not just Joao, Fox too, puts an initial challenge in then just stands. Also Fox playing him onside for the 2nd  

This isn’t Fox bashing either, I’m normally of the opinion he gets more stuck than warranted but today he was more culpable than anyone for our defeat 

Edited by Ash76

3 hours ago, Ash76 said:

At the end of the day he's played 20 times and has conceded 40 goals. 

Regardless of defence that is appalling. 

The Sheffield United save from that God awful pen bought him some fans but he just isn't up to it. 

Only 3 keepers in the entire football league Have conceded more goals. 

He's not the whole problem granted the defence is very poor but he's a significant part of it. 

Not up to it. Simple as.

Stats do not lie. 

Whilst I won’t say he’s at fault for the first one. Watch it back. Think he will believe he can do better. He takes half s step as it’s hit n then he can’t go and quickly the ball is in the net. What I’m saying is his footwork here is poor, those split seconds make a huge difference. It’s almost like a hesitation to go. If his footwork is better he gives himself much better opportunity to save it. Saying he should save it or it’s his fault is very harsh though.

I’m sad and rewinding it on repeat about a dozen times.

The second one however is just awful awful keeping. It’s not the the balls gone through his legs like lots are suggesting. That’s always to happen, especially if you’re set properly. The second is just shocking positioning. Stuff your learn as a teenager. Problem is when you just conceded or are low on confided you can tend to stick closer to your line.

Ignore my awful screenshots, just took a quick pick on my phone from the tv to highlight what is wrong. Major point is he’s only 1-2 yards off his line at his furthest point out.

Firstly he should be on the edge of his 6 yard box to narrow the angle. Much less chance to score if he hits it early and has a better starting position to make a block if he takes an extra touch (which he does).

Second pic. Please ignore my awful attempt to highlight, just quick and easy using snap chat.You can never cover all your goal but Dawson is giving the attacker at least 80% of the goal to hit. That’s it he doesn’t play it through him too. Also note if he started on the edge of the 6 yard box like he’s supposed to the attacker doesn’t get in this position. He’s 3-4 yards too far back and half a yard to a yard too far right. 

The third pic shows he’s literally been able to carry the ball to 6 yards out to smash it in. Ones he’s her it’d be a damn good save if he makes it and no blame on him not saving it. Point is the Swansea player shouldn’t be even close to getting in this position. 

Yes the defence are awful and are to blame as well. But this is a Dawson there’s before people moan I’m singling him out.

43C0C295-81AD-4275-B1D8-F2CA417475C2.jpeg

19BC3023-8A47-4670-984C-5B798E4AA812.jpeg

EF7B4819-F5E0-4FD9-8EBE-1110248CF427.jpeg

Apologies the pics posted in the wrong order for some reason. The bottom one is the my first point. First photo is my second point. Middle photo is last point.

Edited by jonesy87shef
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Whilst I won’t say he’s at fault for the first one. Watch it back. Think he will believe he can do better. He takes half s step as it’s hit n then he can’t go and quickly the ball is in the net. What I’m saying is his footwork here is poor, those split seconds make a huge difference. It’s almost like a hesitation to go. If his footwork is better he gives himself much better opportunity to save it. Saying he should save it or it’s his fault is very harsh though.

I’m sad and rewinding it on repeat about a dozen times.

The second one however is just awful awful keeping. It’s not the the balls gone through his legs like lots are suggesting. That’s always to happen, especially if you’re set properly. The second is just shocking positioning. Stuff your learn as a teenager. Problem is when you just conceded or are low on confided you can tend to stick closer to your line.

Ignore my awful screenshots, just took a quick pick on my phone from the tv to highlight what is wrong. Major point is he’s only 1-2 yards off his line at his furthest point out.

Firstly he should be on the edge of his 6 yard box to narrow the angle. Much less chance to score if he hits it early and has a better starting position to make a block if he takes an extra touch (which he does).

Second pic. Please ignore my awful attempt to highlight, just quick and easy using snap chat.You can never cover all your goal but Dawson is giving the attacker at least 80% of the goal to hit. That’s it he doesn’t play it through him too. Also note if he started on the edge of the 6 yard box like he’s supposed to the attacker doesn’t get in this position. He’s 3-4 yards too far back and half a yard to a yard too far right. 

The third pic shows he’s literally been able to carry the ball to 6 yards out to smash it in. Ones he’s her it’d be a damn good save if he makes it and no blame on him not saving it. Point is the Swansea player shouldn’t be even close to getting in this position. 

Yes the defence are awful and are to blame as well. But this is a Dawson there’s before people moan I’m singling him out.

43C0C295-81AD-4275-B1D8-F2CA417475C2.jpeg

19BC3023-8A47-4670-984C-5B798E4AA812.jpeg

EF7B4819-F5E0-4FD9-8EBE-1110248CF427.jpeg

Apologies the pics posted in the wrong order for some reason. The bottom one is the my first point. First photo is my second point. Middle photo is last point.

You’ve over analysed that much you’ve got it all wrong

On closing the angle that should only happen if a player is clean through but as your images confirm Fox is tracking 

Anyway as I said you’ve over analysed, you even alluded to it yourself. About 12 times was it? 

Just now, Ash76 said:

You’ve over analysed that much you’ve got it all wrong

On closing the angle that should only happen if a player is clean through but as your images confirm Fox is tracking 

Anyway as I said you’ve over analysed, you even alluded to it yourself. About 12 times was it? 

Lol

I find this funny because I literally just typed this and you replied before I could.

@Ash76

I don’t think Dawson has been at fault for many goals this season.  

Earlier in this thread though yiu state anyone blaming Dawson for either goal is an idiot. 

Well I’m blaming him for the second goal and have detailed post above as to why. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of other players at fault, but can you please tell me why he’s not to blame. 

To answer your point. I’m not over analysing. He’s got it wrong on this occasion. He’s usually good at narrowing angles. This is just this isolated occasion.

May I ask why you think keepers should only be closing an angle if a defender isn’t there? That’s simply really wrong. I played at a decent level as a youth (before stopping due to injury) and have coached goalkeepers. You would never tell them to stay there in case the defender wins it. If they don’t you’re completely out of position.

I would wager you could show these pics to Weaver and Dawson and they would both say yes his positioning is well off.

Why is it really over analysing to get my point correct. Probably took about 2-3 minutes of rewinding back and forth on sky for both goals. Hardly any effort to get my point across correctly.

Your point is not correct irrespective of what football you’ve played or what coaching you’ve done.

I could list my credentials but I won’t because I’m posting my opinion as a fan and believe in it. I don’t need to try and give any additional credibility to it other than that

If you really want to over criticise he’s a touch too far over to his left but that’s normal in this situation to protect your near post.

You highlight all that space on the other side yet it was used with the shot, that tells me there’s little wrong with his positioning.

Also consider where the shot ends up being taken from, the angle is narrowed 

Like I say you’ve over analysed and now no matter what anyone says you’ll not change your mind so I’ll leave it at that 

5 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Your point is not correct irrespective of what football you’ve played or what coaching you’ve done.

I could list my credentials but I won’t because I’m posting my opinion as a fan and believe in it. I don’t need to try and give any additional credibility to it other than that

If you really want to over criticise he’s a touch too far over to his left but that’s normal in this situation to protect your near post.

You highlight all that space on the other side yet it was used with the shot, that tells me there’s little wrong with his positioning.

Also consider where the shot ends up being taken from, the angle is narrowed 

Like I say you’ve over analysed and now no matter what anyone says you’ll not change your mind so I’ll leave it at that 

You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but it doesn’t stop it from being wrong. What if my opinion is that the earth is flat. 

It’s actually laughable that you state my point is not correct. You won’t post your credentials in regards to goalkeepers because I would assume like 99.9% of football fans you don’t have any, and that’s fine. I don’t know anything about medicine, so therefore I wouldn’t tell somebody who’s trained thousands of hours to be a doctor that they are wrong when it comes to health.

I was actually about to also say I won’t continue with this because I have never see you change your mind on this forum even when presented with information.

You’ve literally said there is nothing wrong with his positioning because a player didn’t shoot early or shoot into that space. Seriously just because someone doesn’t take advantage of a situation doesn’t mean it isn’t a mistake on by another player.

C3E7FD5D-5042-46F7-B777-DA10D931CC46.jpeg