Slightly disturbing

1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

All those banging on about Megson and his Championship promotion CV, so much has changed in the Championship since he last did anything of note (which was an awful long time ago). This is not the way forward if you ask me. Jos has more recent success on his CV than Megson. Not that I’m saying Jos should remain but the clamour for a yesterday man I find strange. Take away his link to Wednesday and his name wouldn’t even be mentioned.

Megson is younger than McCarthy. The idea of who is a dinosaur and who isn't is interesting. All those people who said they didn't want Pulis must be really pleased now. Jos has never done anything in English football and as far as I can tell hasn't done much in Germany in a number of years.

15 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I find it slightly disturbing that quite a few fellow Owls seemingly want to turn the clock back, ie Megson an option as manager, replacing Forestieri with a 28 year old League Two striker. Have we accepted we are going to be relegated?

We’ve come a long way in these last three years, and despite so many recruitment mistakes, surely we are better than that. The squad is sprinkled with quality players, Westwood, Lees, Hector, Bannan, Reach, Matias, Fletcher and Joao. Plenty of others are more than adequate at this level, plus some promising youngsters coming through. Of course we aren’t too good to go down, but we should be. Under a decent coach, used to working with quality footballers, there’s no need for such talk. Even with an embargo, we have enough here to form the nucleus of a good side

Whilst I agree with some of this; not all of it. I really do think we need a year or two of cutting our cloth accordingly and imagine we are likely to lose a few players we’d rather not. But saying that I hope we’ve learnt from the mistakes of not selling historically when stock was high in our so called ‘stars’. If rumours are to be believed we’ve turned down disable bids for Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Lee and Fessi in past 2-3 years and many of those have since plummeted in ability, form or value.

i don’t think the lad at Tranmere is a replacement for Fessi, although Piazon at Chelsea who we supposedly were in for may well be. We need to get out of habit of renewing top players to big contracts and go find the next Fessi, Lee, Lees etc. It may mean a gamble or two, but one paying off normally funds ten more. 

The Tranmere striker I think may be a replacement for Winnal/Jaoa who I’d guess will be gone in January. I had thought it be Winnal but it looks unlikely with him not returning from injury. 

The only things that have improved in the last 3 years are the pitch, the scoreboard and the advertising hoardings which have been swapped for fancy electric ones...

Stuart Grays team would beat us and in fact were more organised, and were comfortably higher up the table

19 hours ago, York_Owl said:

I'd prefer going down the route of selecting a proven championship manager over unknown, overseas gambles with no experience of managing in England never mind the championship.

I know Megson divides opinion but he has championship promotions on his CV, turned us around in a relatively short period of time and, let's not forget he was able to attract at least two top quality players (Marshall and Antonio) to a club in League One. 

I don't really mind where the manager comes from as long as he knows what he is doing. CC was our most successful manager in recent times and an unknown.

If they can speak English to get their instructions across clearly will do for me. 

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

I don't really mind where the manager comes from as long as he knows what he is doing. CC was our most successful manager in recent times and an unknown.

If they can speak English to get their instructions across clearly will do for me. 

Me neither as long as he is a top class manager with a proven track record, Jokanovic, for example.

On 14/12/2018 at 14:18, gurujuan said:

I find it slightly disturbing that quite a few fellow Owls seemingly want to turn the clock back, ie Megson an option as manager, replacing Forestieri with a 28 year old League Two striker. Have we accepted we are going to be relegated?

We’ve come a long way in these last three years, and despite so many recruitment mistakes, surely we are better than that. The squad is sprinkled with quality players, Westwood, Lees, Hector, Bannan, Reach, Matias, Fletcher and Joao. Plenty of others are more than adequate at this level, plus some promising youngsters coming through. Of course we aren’t too good to go down, but we should be. Under a decent coach, used to working with quality footballers, there’s no need for such talk. Even with an embargo, we have enough here to form the nucleus of a good side

Only slightly?

10 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Hope we can keep Penney  - heard a few clubs interested; Villa.  Brighton. Bournemouth. Wolves

Yes, and Man Utd apparently, he is the best left back we’ve had for a while - and yet he is often left out We have other players who big clubs may covet, enough to form the nucleus of a side capable of challenging for the play offs. 

Westwood, Penney, Bannan, Reach and Forestieri, would all go to better placed clubs. Add to them, top flight loanees, Hector and Onamah, plus useful players at this level like, Lees, Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Matias, Joao and Fletcher. Really it is disgraceful that our coach can’t blend them into a successful unit. It’s not good enough, it really isn’t 

Don't care what you say. 

With this squad Megson would be doing a far far better job than the complete clown we have in charge now. 

Maybe megson wouldn't be the long term answer, but hed sure as hell give us the answers we need in the short term 

• Like 1

Let’s see how this post looks on February 1st....

3 minutes ago, poite said:

Don't care what you say. 

With this squad Megson would be doing a far far better job than the complete clown we have in charge now. 

Maybe megson wouldn't be the long term answer, but hed sure as hell give us the answers we need in the short term 

Well he couldn’t do any worse Personally I’m not keen on Megson, either as a person, or how his teams plays it’s football. That’s not to say I don’t recognise some of the qualities he brings, but it’s too much of a backward step for me He would never get the likes of Reach or Forestieri buying into his ways. Because of the financial limitations, it needs someone who can forge a winning side from the players we have

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Well he couldn’t do any worse Personally I’m not keen on Megson, either as a person, or how his teams plays it’s football. That’s not to say I don’t recognise some of the qualities he brings, but it’s too much of a backward step for me He would never get the likes of Reach or Forestieri buying into his ways. Because of the financial limitations, it needs someone who can forge a winning side from the players we have

Why would a hard working professional like Reach not buy into a manager that expects high standards.

Id have thought Reach and Megson would be a good fit.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Megson would get them winning.

On 14 December 2018 at 14:18, gurujuan said:

...and this is exactly why Jos must go.

We, the fans, are not living in the past nor do we have unrealistic expectations.

I'd have settled for mid table mediocrity with an outside chance of the playoffs before this season began.

Not overly optimistic by any stretch. Patronising tw@t.

I do hope he's gone come the fans forum or this shizzle could get ugly.

I don’t think anyone WANTS to turn the clock back. I just see it as lots are desperate and want some positivity out of this mess. Personally I don’t want Megson (wouldn’t go too fussed either way though to be honest).

Then people don’t WANT to replace Fernando with a league 2 striker. They just see him as a saleable asset of which we have very few because the chairman put us in a financial mess. I see the lad at Tranmere as the type of gamble we may have to make if he’s available on a free.

None of this is WANT, it’s about understanding the situation and realising short term we may have to take several steps backward to eventually push further forwards. 

Myself and I’m sure the majority of fans don’t like it just as much as yourself.