The Best Of Times, The Worst Of Times.....

As an Owls of 40yrs watching I've seen some good times but many more bad ones but is the current situation the worst we've had in my time as a fan? Yes we were nearly put out of business by the HMRC but that like most issues in the past this could be solved by an injection of cash (provided by MM in this case) with the current scenario there are many, many more things wrong with the club and no chance of an input of wonga due to the EFL stopping a man spending his own money, theres no quick fix to this one and relegation would be disaster

It's the delusion and subsequent silence which makes this worse.

At least before the club knew it was fecked and looked for solutions but at the minute it feels like the club is shrouded in this idea that everything is fine and we will just keep bobbing along until something happened but the fact is that things don't change unless you change something yourself. 

The question now lies in whether the club can ultimately identify this and solve it with the necessary changes going forward as a result. This, in turn, would also go some way to breaking the disconnect many of us are currently feeling and hopefully get us back on track to a more successful and sustainable future as a result.

So in short...probably. lol

34 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Genuinely not sure that even if FFP wasn't an issue, we'd be spending any more money.

Something isn't right off the field, and we don't know half the story.

Based on what we've seen so far, those in charge probably only know half the story...... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, glynnb said:

What the Dickens!... were you around in the 70's?

Thankfully no , I’d be closer to death if I was :biggrin: I’m not saying this is the worst team (although it’s pretty bad , especially for what it cost) it’s where the club is going under his ownership. He has got literally everything wrong, he’s an utter train wreck . A skint , clueless owner with an over inflated ego is a deadly combo. 

58 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Thankfully no , I’d be closer to death if I was :biggrin: I’m not saying this is the worst team (although it’s pretty bad , especially for what it cost) it’s where the club is going under his ownership. He has got literally everything wrong, he’s an utter train wreck . A skint , clueless owner with an over inflated ego is a deadly combo. 

I wish I was ten Bob behind him

We are led to believe the FFP situation is bad but it isn't an existential crisis some are making out. We have assets we can sell. OK it's not what we want to do but we could sell players to meet our bills for a year or two. By then we will have run down the contracts of higher paid players and can start building again.

We have been in worse situations.

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

We are led to believe the FFP situation is bad but it isn't an existential crisis some are making out. We have assets we can sell. OK it's not what we want to do but we could sell players to meet our bills for a year or two. By then we will have run down the contracts of higher paid players and can start building again.

We have been in worse situations.

This is probably true.

But the problem with this is that I dont think many people will just accept a couple of year of rebuilding with nothing more then a shrug of they shoulders.

People brought season tickets and largely turned a blind eye to the high prices for everything on the understanding we would have a promotion challenging team at the very least. Now being told sorry we wasted all the money and had no back up plan so have to start again is hard to swallow for many fans including me. 

26 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Nothing to do with Wednesday or football but the headline reminded me of this one liner:

Dicken’s ‘A Tale Of Two Cities’ was first serialised in two local newspapers. “It was the Bicester Times, it was The Worcester Times”

That is quite highbrow for here. There will be some that don’t know the pronunciation and will be confused. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glynnb said:

What the Dickens!... were you around in the 70's?

Difference in the 70's was the club more or less ran on the attendance,,,We had decent ones compared to most clubs.

it attracted better managers and players eventually, and you knew someone would get it right eventually.

Now...Smaller clubs than Wednesday rake in millions more in the Prem and the attendance is a drop in the ocean compared to the TV money.

We need the football bubble to burst before we do...because the Premiership looks miles away

6 hours ago, james o connor said:

We are being run by an utter clown, this is by and far the worst period the club has been in. 

I can see where you are coming from but I wouldn't say its that bad .. maybe in your lifetime? (not sure how old you are JoC)

We've had it worse as a club, no money, no signings, and very bad performances on the pitch. We were sbsolutely awful in the seasons after being relegated from the prem and heading down in to league one.

I think for me, the difference at the minute was the potential of where the club could have gone when DC first bought us, his money etc to how it has all been squandered recklessley with no plan b, no contingency plans, no forethought and future proofing .. its all just a right shambles and no f*cker knows whats going on

I'm not sayinbg it was great, but at least under previous chairpeople, we knew where we stood (whther that was in court! HAHA or wherever)

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

This is probably true.

But the problem with this is that I dont think many people will just accept a couple of year of rebuilding with nothing more then a shrug of they shoulders.

People brought season tickets and largely turned a blind eye to the high prices for everything on the understanding we would have a promotion challenging team at the very least. Now being told sorry we wasted all the money and had no back up plan so have to start again is hard to swallow for many fans including me. 

People will ***** and moan and have every right to do so. Some will stop buying season tickets, probably a lot might but we will still get a decent crowd.

We might sell all the decent players and drop down to the pub league but all that really matters is that the club continues to exist.  We can come back from adversity, we've had years of practice. 

I had the (dis)pleasure of watching us in the seventies - the football was generally dire until Big Jack and that Boxing Day and attendances were often down around 10,000 (inc both home games either side of Boxing Day!).  

The big difference today is the inflated sense of entitlement that so many fans seem to have.  Did anyone at all complain when DC took over?  It’s his money and therefore his club but unfortunately he has created a monster by giving us a glimpse of what might be and to have those hopes dashed and a return to (what are typically normal circumstances - mid table) is just too much for some individuals to bear.  

It was much worse watching in the seventies but the atmosphere was nowhere near as toxic as now.  I’m personally very fed up with watching our hopeless manager and his disorganised team but history shows things do change and no need to burst a blood vessel over it.