João, our form player.

At his age he should be hitting top form starting week in week out..  not has got potential.. that's what he had when signed 3 yrs ago..

Not good enough.. if we can get some decent cash for him.. let him go.

Rather play Winnall and Fletcher.. than any one of FF / Matias / Joao / Nuhiu at the moment.  All surplus

The question for me is whether he has stamina/fitness issues or not or whether he is just not played regularly enough to get up to 100% match fitness.

If there is no fitness issue I would have him as our first choice central striker in a 3 man attack.

We did it against Derby and for lots of that game we actually looked like a proper football team.

Sometimes , against the more physical teams, it might be better if Nuhiu or Fletcher led the attack because we play so negatively the forwards live on scraps. But if we want to play proper attacking football it’s Joao up top.

14 goals since boxing day and I wager he's only started around 30 games ,he needs regular starts and sticking with if he hits a lean period …...anyone who can get around 20 goals a season usually gets sold for big money which when we do start selling our assets could come in very handy .

• Like 1

There’s definitely a player there. Under better management and with a continued run in the side, he would have developed more. However, his temperament is poor - sometimes he looks up for it and other times, he looks disinterested and his head drops. If he wants to become a top player he needs to sort this out quick. No excuses - he’s 25 now.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

The question for me is whether he has stamina/fitness issues or not or whether he is just not played regularly enough to get up to 100% match fitness.

If there is no fitness issue I would have him as our first choice central striker in a 3 man attack.

We did it against Derby and for lots of that game we actually looked like a proper football team.

Sometimes , against the more physical teams, it might be better if Nuhiu or Fletcher led the attack because we play so negatively the forwards live on scraps. But if we want to play proper attacking football it’s Joao up top.

Nuihu should not lead any attack! Apart from the West Brom game he's been garbage, he's looked so disinterested; completely different from the player towards the back end of last season

1 hour ago, LittleG said:

Nuihu should not lead any attack! Apart from the West Brom game he's been garbage, he's looked so disinterested; completely different from the player towards the back end of last season

I thought Nuhiu improved us when he came on against Bolton.

Everybody knows his limitations, except perhaps Jos.

Isolate him and it might as well be me up there, play him as part of a front 3 with players close to him and he can be effective.

I honestly think he signed a new contract on the back of a good spell thinking he would be a regular starter in an attacking team like we played at the end of last season.

Jos has done the opposite 

Guest LittleG
16 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I thought Nuhiu improved us when he came on against Bolton.

Everybody knows his limitations, except perhaps Jos.

Isolate him and it might as well be me up there, play him as part of a front 3 with players close to him and he can be effective.

I honestly think he signed a new contract on the back of a good spell thinking he would be a regular starter in an attacking team like we played at the end of last season.

Jos has done the opposite 

It could be the constant team changes and formations that are effecting him, like a few others. He's always been regarded as someone who, even though he might not be the most gifted, always put 100% commitment in; that seems to be missing this season and  that's the disappointment

some of you must be watching a different Joao to me. I think he's lazy, incosistent and gives the ball away too much. it's like playing with 10 men when he plays at times. Apart from the goal the other day he was absolutely dreadful (so was everyone else).

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

17/18 - 17 starts, 9 goals

18/19 - 8 starts, 6 goals

Our most potent weapon by some stretch and yet he can't get a regular game under Jos.

For a team that concedes so many goals to have your primary attacking outlet warming the bench is absolutely shocking management.

Rarely looks the part but there’s no arguing that his goals per game or goals per minute have been superb this last 12 months.

Had it been say Rhodes who “only scored goals” but did sod-all else we would have been delighted, but because it’s Joao perhaps we are too tough on him.

I would NEVER play him lone-striker. I would never play him with two up top with FF, but I think he now doubtless deserves to start every game, to be yanked off in the games it’s clear he’s not on it. Though even then he was tripe at Bristol then scored two in 5 minutes. 

Odd fish. But yes he really deserves it now. And as @torryowl sats, he is on 15/20 per season form. 

His attitude and application really bother me, its borderline disgraceful 

A few worldies in 3 years isn’t enough. He offers very little. For someone who is 6ft 3 and must weigh a decent amount, he’s ridiculosuly weak 

“There’s a player in there somewhere” - yep I’ve read that hundreds of times over the years 

The fact is he hasn’t changed and never will. 3 years ago was the time

25 now, his whole attitude isn’t going to miraculously change 

32 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

His attitude and application really bother me, its borderline disgraceful 

A few worldies in 3 years isn’t enough. He offers very little. For someone who is 6ft 3 and must weigh a decent amount, he’s ridiculosuly weak 

“There’s a player in there somewhere” - yep I’ve read that hundreds of times over the years 

The fact is he hasn’t changed and never will. 3 years ago was the time

25 now, his whole attitude isn’t going to miraculously change 

Dont disagree, but you’ve got to admit those goal tallies are pretty mouth-watering.

He is also excellent at defensive set-pieces.

All the haters need to recognize he’s barely had a run of starts and he’s usually asked to fill in as an auxiliary fullback due to our own manager’s incompetence.

As for the few worldies comments...his scoring record is not ‘a few’ plus go and google his goals all kinds of wonderful finishes

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

All the haters need to recognize he’s barely had a run of starts and he’s usually asked to fill in as an auxiliary fullback due to our own manager’s incompetence.

As for the few worldies comments...his scoring record is not ‘a few’ plus go and google his goals all kinds of wonderful finishes

That goal at Forest last Boxing Day, Loved it.