Alan wheen

Guest The Claw
23 hours ago, Old Woodbourn Owl said:

Very sad news condolences to family and friends. Used to go to away matches with Weeny back in the day. One time he had organised a couple of coaches to a preseason friendly at Celtic and I was on the first coach with the wife and two kids. Weeny had organised us a working mens club for a pre-match tipple and we arrived a bit earlier in the first coach which did not seem a problem. The locals then started playing anti-English music and banging on the tables and the mood was dire you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. Just as it looked as if some thing was going to kick off Weeny and the boys arrived on the second coach and the transformation was unreal, the music changed the atmosphere changed and pretty soon we were even getting free sandwiches. The big guy was always a larger than life character and will be greatly missed by all who knew him or even knew of him. RIP mate.

and he was wearing a rangers pin badge!

Firstly, thought yesterday's tributes and singing for Weeny were brilliant. I think it actually got the team going.

Does seem like it's the end of an era. Big lads with a lot of presence and character like Alan were an essential part of me surviving some away days in the late 70s and early eighties. Not like that now.

RIP 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Firstly, thought yesterday's tributes and singing for Weeny were brilliant. I think it actually got the team going.

Does seem like it's the end of an era. Big lads with a lot of presence and character like Alan were an essential part of me surviving some away days in the late 70s and early eighties. Not like that now.

RIP 

It’s interesting that you used the word “character”.  Weeny was as steady as a rock whatever the situation. Same face and demeanour whether he was sinking a pint or outnumbered three to one. Obviously, he changed when he was “in action” but other than that, he was pretty much “straight down the line” every other time. As calm as you like. 

On 01/12/2018 at 14:58, Hughdowd said:

43219D96-4716-4FCA-B6F4-2EBBE4027AF9.jpeg

Thanks for the pic Hugh, living away for so long I wasn't sure if I knew Weenie or not, but I should imagine everyone who travelled away in the 70/80's 'hid' behind him at some point.

I remember him as a gentle giant, more of a protector than an aggressor, in the thick of it so others didn't get hurt.

Very sad that his dad died as well, like sob said, difficult to imagine what their family is going through.

RIP Weenie.......respect.

p.s.......anyone know the name of the lad at the front holding the girl?..........is it Paul Wilkinson?

Edited by Weshallovercome

1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

Thanks for the pic Hugh, living away for so long I wasn't sure if I knew Weenie or not, but I should imagine everyone who travelled away in the 70/80's 'hid' behind him at some point.

I remember him as a gentle giant, more of a protector than an aggressor, in the thick of it so others didn't get hurt.

Very sad that his dad died as well, like sob said, difficult to imagine what their family is going through.

RIP Weenie.......respect.

p.s.......anyone know the name of the lad at the front holding the girl?..........is it Paul Wilkinson?

Clangers ....... Richard Clark.

Mid 80s Gate trip to London, May have been Chelsea!

That’s me (at Luton away first game after the away ban) in the Bear  suit, I think Chris Gott stood next to me, Weenie was holding me up on the barrier , you can see his head at the side of my right leg, he was dressed as friar tuck 

We lost and the team bus got bricked

We used to run the coach trips from the Burgoyne on Langsett Road

we also managed to get to all the games that we where banned from, Swansea and Derby where the best

anyone recognise themselves in the photo?

RIP Alan

1A3590C9-5DE5-4F2B-BAD3-2ADC66A43783.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MARTY BOY said:

Yes, He was a top bloke RIP

Sure was.. our lot was the same age, remember all the way back to the 70s ...remember the empty seats on the coaches he'd organised on  the way back from away matches...owls either lost in combat or more likely nicked by the boys in blue ! 

Me and him being let's say a bit on the bigger size used to chuckle as we were able to stretch out our legs for once on the empty seats....great times , brill bloke....true owl...

2 hours ago, Southernblues said:

That’s me (at Luton away first game after the away ban) in the Bear  suit, I think Chris Gott stood next to me, Weenie was holding me up on the barrier , you can see his head at the side of my right leg, he was dressed as friar tuck 

We lost and the team bus got bricked

We used to run the coach trips from the Burgoyne on Langsett Road

we also managed to get to all the games that we where banned from, Swansea and Derby where the best

anyone recognise themselves in the photo?

RIP Alan

1A3590C9-5DE5-4F2B-BAD3-2ADC66A43783.jpeg

Is it Gottie with the mask on on, he used to knock about with my uncles and owned the Belle Vue up Walkleyblue with my uncle. If so I'm sure that mask ended up at my nans house and her and my uncle Paul used to scare the poo out of us with it as kids.

Had some good away days with big Al when he was at the Burgoyne. 

Yep it is

Back in the day his girlfriend was Ursula

I also had the pleasure of going out with one of his sisters, think her name was Elaine?

I organised all the coach trips from  the Burgoyne with the okay from the then landlord Trevor back in the 1970’s then moved to South Africa in 1980 

Guessing I would probably know most of the people you know

16 minutes ago, Southernblues said:

Yep it is

Back in the day his girlfriend was Ursula

I also had the pleasure of going out with one of his sisters, think her name was Elaine?

I organised all the coach trips from  the Burgoyne with the okay from the then landlord Trevor back in the 1970’s then moved to South Africa in 1980 

Guessing I would probably know most of the people you know

Yes mate it was Elaine, my family are the Kirk's and Robinson's. They spent most of their time in the Belle Vue up the road but I know they went to the matches with Gottie and dollshead to name a few.

10 minutes ago, S A Andy said:

Hi Southern Blue, I probably met you when Wednesday played in Cape Town and Pretoria in October 92.  I emigrated to S Africa in October 81 & came back to Sheffield in 93. WAWAW.

Yep we where at both games 

Mamelodi Sundowns at Loftus Versveld was pretty good to be fair 

We came back In 2000 but decided to live in Hertfordshire as there is more work for air conditioning engineers down here 

UTO 

17 minutes ago, walkleyblue said:

Yes mate it was Elaine, my family are the Kirk's and Robinson's. They spent most of their time in the Belle Vue up the road but I know they went to the matches with Gottie and dollshead to name a few.

Also dated a girl called Sue Kirk from Pitsmoor, is she related to you?

if so small world