Alan wheen

3 hours ago, sage owl said:

Is the fella nearest the fence with the jumper over his shoulder Stevie Lee  ?.

Dave Dodd. Hes one of three brothers - all really good lads but not the type you fvvck around with. Jimmy is the nicest fella, Dave is a good laugh and as sharp as a razor and Andy is good natured quieter type. I saw Jimmy recently and he’d lost a bit of timber. I haven’t seen Dave and Andy for ages - they’re both solidly built particularly Andy.  If you ever went in The Gate you will have seen them

9 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Anybody know when the funeral is? He deserves a good and proper wednesday send off.

Not half. Hope it’s a great turn out to see him off. If anyone finds out please let us know. 

Seems like the end of era .... been brought up on away matches with bathtub .. fat sid ... sammy and weeny......sadly only sammy is alive now .... but potg prices and season ticket prices have alienated a huge section of Wednesdays fan base....chansiris stubbornness and dour managers like jos .... makes me wish for the matchdays of the 70s /80s back...as bad as we where.... ingrained lifelong loyalty for Wednesday started then.....great memories....UP THE OWLS !!!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Seems like the end of era .... been brought up on away matches with bathtub .. fat sid ... sammy and weeny......sadly only sammy is alive now .... but potg prices and season ticket prices have alienated a huge section of Wednesdays fan base....chansiris stubbornness and dour managers like jos .... makes me wish for the matchdays of the 70s /80s back...as bad as we where.... ingrained lifelong loyalty for Wednesday started then.....great memories....UP THE OWLS !!!!

Aye...it was a potent mix on the 59th on Saturday...all that's right and all that's wrong. Glad I was there. UTO.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, S A Andy said:

Going back to the non segregation days of the Eastbank in the late 60s/early 70s, talking of the front line boys( home and away matches), are Butlab (Manor lad) & Mad Jack Whitham still around?

Never heard of the 2nd guy but I think everyone who went in that era knew Bucklab. The guy did not know the meaning of fear, longish curly hair and always wore a leather jacket. I used to see him and say I'm glad he's on our side.

2 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Maybe just getting old now, but I really think that it was so much better back in those days. Yes it was mad and scary at times, but there was a genuine brotherhood of fans. If you were Wednesday, you were accepted. No questions asked. You were looked after by people like Al.

Sadly it's nothing like that now. Sterile.

Glad that wheenys got so many comments on here. He deserves that recognition, that respect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

Thanks for the pic Hugh, living away for so long I wasn't sure if I knew Weenie or not, but I should imagine everyone who travelled away in the 70/80's 'hid' behind him at some point.

I remember him as a gentle giant, more of a protector than an aggressor, in the thick of it so others didn't get hurt.

Very sad that his dad died as well, like sob said, difficult to imagine what their family is going through.

RIP Weenie.......respect.

p.s.......anyone know the name of the lad at the front holding the girl?..........is it Paul Wilkinson?

Exactly pal.

I have a cracker of a story at an away match, not for now though.

If the youth of today could grow up anything like him, the world would be a far better place.

25 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Joint funeral for Allan and his dad Ray, date TBA.

Reception afterwards in Southey Social Club.

Be standing room only at both the funeral and the wake I would say.

Just shows how well thought of he was. Top bloke. 

RIP Alan and his Father and condolences to the Wheen family at this tragic time.

I'm sure I remember Alan from infant/middle school either St Catherines or Firshill, I went to both so not 100% sure.

Remember him as a great Kid among many others who lived around Pitsmoor and Burngreave back in the 60's and early 70's, I've lived in many places since but its still the best community I've ever lived in. 

26 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Remember him from when me and my mates started going away on our own early 80,s. Scary at first but and got the pi@@ taken out of us but good humoured and were looked after, as already said in those days Were all Wednesday actually meant something.  RIP.

Spot on mate ....... never had Wednesday fans fighting each other in them days 

• Like 3