slack passing across the back

Just now, full fathom five said:

But under CC we had players who were better on the ball and knew when to go short and when to go long. Westwood although his kicking wasn't the best is head and shoulders above Dawson, Hunt above Palmer, Loovens against Hector, Hutchinson against Pelupessy ect add to that players of the ilk of Kieran Lee, Wallace  and Hooper it's not hard to see why we struggle to play this way now compared to then.

good points well made :biggrin:

fact is it has to stop If Jos cannot see this he will lose my support because it's playing with fire every game 

1 minute ago, steelowl said:

fact is it has to stop If Jos cannot see this he will lose my support because it's playing with fire every game 

Couldn't agree more, we are so easy to play against and if we play like that against the pigs we will be on the end of a real massacre not a made up one.

2 minutes ago, steelowl said:

It is..EVERY game....Its persisting with something that doesn't work, this allied to the fact that even the crowd get nervous, which is passed onto players who aren't capable of doing it, making them even more nervous  and even less capable , resulting in that mess that was the winner.

Those 2 crossfield passes to palmer...30 yds behind him!!..what the f.ook was that about..

It was as though they had been told..

"If you get it there... you MUST knock it over to the right back...whatever else is happening!"..Its robotic stupidity

46 minutes ago, graz gp said:

Slack passing all over the field, the defence must be sorted because we are going nowhere. I thought boro were average and we could have won that game. We put ourselves under pressure by giving the ball away too often. Jos must look at himself and sort the tactics out. Because when we play the blunts they will put us under massive pressure.

Boro were as poor as us in the first half. They made loads of unforced errors. If we'd pressed their back line we could have seen a different result. Instead we have João who can't be rsed to attack a ball there to win 3 yards from him. I'd be dropping him on that performance. He has no application or desire and that is what we need at the moment.

I hope last night was the final straw and we have a rethink  about our ability to control and pass out of trouble against a team that chases them down.  This is not a new complaint from me I used to have the Sh*ts every time loovens attempted to control it or pass it more than 5 yds  now Lees has taken that place Palmer is no better and Dawson's distribution is at times suicidal.

Our midfield needs to be more mobile and offer shorter pass alternatives 

Horses for courses Jos  I'd like us to play the beautiful game from the back- we can't with this personnel 

It's absolutely atrocious. Time and time we do it again. Awful to watch the defenders panic and dally about with it, not to mention the time it wastes as it goes back n forth to the flapping Dawson for the third or fourth time.

it really is a huge basic flaw in the way we play and has to stop.

We are playing with 3 centre halves and the system needs your defenders to be comfortable on the ball and they aren’t. Lees and Thorniley are basic on the ball although on the main, they are good defenders. 

We need to play 4-3-3 for a number of reasons.

* Our centre halves aren’t good enough on the ball. Tom Lees looks so uncomfortable taking the ball out of defence. That’s been evident all season.

* Liam Palmer is not a wing back. He’s hopeless going forward. It’s like he has a nosebleed every time he goes over the half way line.

* Whilst, we played a 3-5-2 to try and match them last night, we have been playing a variation of 3-4-3 and we need to get a 3rd player in midfield and I want that player to be Onomah. We need his legs and power in the midfield. Reach shouldn’t be in there, he needs to be playing wide attack.

* We need to play with 3 up front with legs and creativity on the flanks to assist our central striker. This system suits us. Why we didn’t do this last night, I will never know. We tried to play Boro at their own game and that was never going to work playing against giants. We should’ve used width last night.

Guest LittleG
9 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We are playing with 3 centre halves and the system needs your defenders to be comfortable on the ball and they aren’t. Lees and Thorniley are basic on the ball although on the main, they are good defenders. 

We need to play 4-3-3 for a number of reasons.

* Our centre halves aren’t good enough on the ball. Tom Lees looks so uncomfortable taking the ball out of defence. That’s been evident all season.

* Liam Palmer is not a wing back. He’s hopeless going forward. It’s like he has a nosebleed every time he goes over the half way line.

* Whilst, we played a 3-5-2 to try and match them last night, we have been playing a variation of 3-4-3 and we need to get a 3rd player in midfield and I want that player to be Onomah. We need his legs and power in the midfield. Reach shouldn’t be in there, he needs to be playing wide attack.

* We need to play with 3 up front with legs and creativity on the flanks to assist our central striker. This system suits us. Why we didn’t do this last night, I will never know. We tried to play Boro at their own game and that was never going to work playing against giants. We should’ve used width last night.

Agree that we should be playing 4-3-3, unfortunately at the moment we do not have the"legs and creativity on the flanks" to play this system to any level of success. Reach has the legs once he gets going but not sure about how creative he his. We have nobody presently to play wide and cause problems. What we generally lack in midfield and up front is pace.

3 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Agree that we should be playing 4-3-3, unfortunately at the moment we do not have the"legs and creativity on the flanks" to play this system to any level of success. Reach has the legs once he gets going but not sure about how creative he his. We have nobody presently to play wide and cause problems. What we generally lack in midfield and up front is pace.

I think Reach is best suited in wide attack.  He can use his legs in this position and get at the full back. He has more pace then you think! I’d have him and FF flanking a central striker. He has been playing well in this position lately then Jos puts him in central midfield. I like Reach but he isn’t physical enough to play in the middle, especially against a team like Boro.

10 hours ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

Oh you've met our lass

Internet must be down in S73 lol

Didn't realise the tinternet had reached S73 . It was only last year they got inside bogs and electricity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ironman said:

It's absolutely atrocious. Time and time we do it again. Awful to watch the defenders panic and dally about with it, not to mention the time it wastes as it goes back n forth to the flapping Dawson for the third or fourth time.

it really is a huge basic flaw in the way we play and has to stop.

Yeah and teams are aware of it now and just put the high press on us and they know the back line panic.

Only Hector has any footballing skill in that back line.

United play the high press and will be licking their lips at pressing us and waiting for the mistakes.

This is the manager at fault and he needs to change it fast.