slack passing across the back

13 hours ago, full fathom five said:

But under CC we had players who were better on the ball and knew when to go short and when to go long. Westwood although his kicking wasn't the best is head and shoulders above Dawson, Hunt above Palmer, Loovens against Hector, Hutchinson against Pelupessy ect add to that players of the ilk of Kieran Lee, Wallace  and Hooper it's not hard to see why we struggle to play this way now compared to then.

Absolutely, and the players we had, like Hooper, Bannan in a different position, Lee and Hunt who was much better on the ball than Palmer enabled us to get out when we were pressed and get at teams quickly, especially in CC's first season.

With 5 at the back and Bannan and Pelupessy deep we have too many players on top of each other and can't pass our way out, we have no link in midfield because Reach is too advanced to do this much of the time. 

Lees is clearly uncomfortable playing like this, Hector is not a great passer of the ball, Palmer is far better suited to RB than RWB and Penney is not great at the defensive side. 

Teams come to Hillsborough clearly knowing that we are seemingly going to persist with this despite it not working at all well and are preying on this. 

It is difficult, because against Stoke (the first game I saw this season) Dawson was holding the ball and kicking long. This is the Year of our Lord 2018 and the fifth richest division on the planet. We might hope for a little bit more than chucking it into the mixer.  

The flaws are in the defensive unit. Lees looks increasingly uncomfortable on the ball, which seems rather a basic flaw for a professional footballer operating at high level. But the more basic problem is that we don't really have a midfield. Or rather we have BB and JP who are both good at what they do, but not as taking the ball from the back line and working forward. Happily, Onomah does seem to be able to do this, and it's becoming increasingly obvious how important he - or someone like him - is. 

The passing out from the back needs to stop, we aren’t man city, how many times have we been caught in possession deep in our own half this season playing like this? It doesn’t work unless you have quality ball playing defenders, which we don’t. It inevitably goes back to Dawson who launches it anyway. It’s pointless and risky. Does my head in

Edited by Tom22709

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Absolutely, and the players we had, like Hooper, Bannan in a different position, Lee and Hunt who was much better on the ball than Palmer enabled us to get out when we were pressed and get at teams quickly, especially in CC's first season.

With 5 at the back and Bannan and Pelupessy deep we have too many players on top of each other and can't pass our way out, we have no link in midfield because Reach is too advanced to do this much of the time. 

Lees is clearly uncomfortable playing like this, Hector is not a great passer of the ball, Palmer is far better suited to RB than RWB and Penney is not great at the defensive side. 

Teams come to Hillsborough clearly knowing that we are seemingly going to persist with this despite it not working at all well and are preying on this. 

Agree with all of the above

13 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Didn't realise the tinternet had reached S73 . It was only last year they got inside bogs and electricity.

I have actually still got an outside bog :ghoulguy: still waiting on the electricity thing though 

• Haha 2

That second goal is worthy of any division 7 Sunday league game 

and I’m not getting at Tom Lees exactly here too

everybody who’s ever watched him play surely knows what Tom Lees is defenders defender he’s great at doing what all old school defenders should do but he is not a continental defender 

what I’m saying is he’s terrible at playing the ball ( bit harsh ) but he looks very uncomfortable at doing it especially when he has more time 

this style of play is making lees look look worse than he is and we need to either play to our strengths or change the player 

To play this style thorniley Hector pudil and Hutchinson are all ahead of Lees and bizarrely I still think Lees is still our best defender 

in short let’s stop messing about with it all the time at the back and making ourselves look tripe 

On 20/10/2018 at 22:52, fpowl said:

That second goal is worthy of any division 7 Sunday league game 

and I’m not getting at Tom Lees exactly here too

everybody who’s ever watched him play surely knows what Tom Lees is defenders defender he’s great at doing what all old school defenders should do but he is not a continental defender 

what I’m saying is he’s terrible at playing the ball ( bit harsh ) but he looks very uncomfortable at doing it especially when he has more time 

this style of play is making lees look look worse than he is and we need to either play to our strengths or change the player 

To play this style thorniley Hector pudil and Hutchinson are all ahead of Lees and bizarrely I still think Lees is still our best defender 

in short let’s stop messing about with it all the time at the back and making ourselves look tripe 

I agree but they all do  

Most lower championship teams and those in the leagues below us shouldn’t be passing out because they’re technically not good enough, they’re playing in those leagues for a reason 

Football seems to have gone away from the tradition of playing to your strengths, now it’s imperative to try and pass it out and play like Spain when some just haven’t got the ability 

On 20/10/2018 at 12:20, hirstyboywonder said:

Thought we had only lost one at home since April, until..Borough...should have beat Hull and West Brom...A bit lucky against l**ds maybe.

Thought we very dodgy against Borough mind, though we could well have got something out of the game, crossbar, refs poor handling, last min hard luck story...all bar Lees suicide mission of course.:sad:

17 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Thought we had only lost one at home since April, until..Borough...should have beat Hull and West Brom...A bit lucky against l**ds maybe.

Thought we very dodgy against Borough mind, though we could well have got something out of the game, crossbar, refs poor handling, last min hard luck story...all bar Lees suicide mission of course.:sad:

Good point sherleyegg  but how many of those games have we been lucky to avoid disasters like what happened Friday 

any opposite coach will watch our games and say they are dodgy at the back get after them we'll make something happen

I'm absolutely certain that pep mardiola at S2 will have that game plan   we must stop it 

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Good point sherleyegg  but how many of those games have we been lucky to avoid disasters like what happened Friday 

any opposite coach will watch our games and say they are dodgy at the back get after them we'll make something happen

I'm absolutely certain that pep mardiola at S2 will have that game plan   we must stop it 

I thinks the entire football world knows we are dodgy at the back

Just now, sherlyegg said:

I thinks the entire football world knows we are dodgy at the back

but why are they dodgy?  Because they are being asked to play around at the back and just aren't capable - imo

This slack sloppy passing wasn't just confined to the back line on Friday several players needed a slap after that game 

last season he did very well under ridiculous circumstance,  but I thought give Jos 10 or so games with a fit squad and make a decision about where I stand on him, I still can't do that because those same players are still missing   However if we persist with this style almost inviting the press - I can't support it or him  

4 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

The home record has been good yes, but we look far more suspect now than we did at the start of the good home run at the back end of last season. The defence looked more in tune with what Jos was trying to do when Venancio and Hunt were involved. 

I agree we should have beaten West Brom - but didn't due to defensive mistakes and tactical naivity. We got lucky against Leeds and did well to come back against Stoke, when our defensive faffing cost us dearly in the first 20 minutes. the decent sides in this division are pressing us at Hillsborough, we don't look like handling it very well yet continue to persist with it. 

10 points from 7 home games is OK but it's not great and it's 4 games without a home win now.