I wonder if DC...

I wonder if DC is thinking..."Might have done it better the other way around"?

This is a total hindsight post, cos loads of us bought into what seems to have been "Bang or bust" for the last couple of seasons.

Looking at it now, we seem to have a manager who can make a silk purse out of a sows ear, ageing players on big contracts that are either missing, or injured, or whatever.

A group of youngsters who have cost next to nowt stepping up, while a £10 million player is out on loan playing for a rival, FFP looming, and lo and behold we seem to be lumbered with the initial cash laid out..when..If we had done it the other way around?

Its a stark lesson isn't it?

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

This is a total hindsight post, cos loads of us bought into what seems to have been "Bang or bust" for the last couple of seasons.

Looking at it now, we seem to have a manager who can make a silk purse out of a sows ear, ageing players on big contracts that are either missing, or injured, or whatever.

A group of youngsters who have cost next to nowt stepping up, while a £10 million player is out on loan playing for a rival, FFP looming, and lo and behold we seem to be lumbered with the initial cash laid out..when..If we had done it the other way around?

I would think the original plan was to build towards promotion but when promotion presented itself in the first season of CC reign they had to go for it.  

1 minute ago, Watson said:

I would think the original plan was to build towards promotion but when promotion presented itself in the first season of CC reign they had to go for it.  

Agree, maybe we were victims of our own success in CCs first season. And they thought experience would get us over the line. 

Just now, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Agree, maybe we were victims of our own success in CCs first season. And they thought experience would get us over the line. 

Yep if CC reign had been in reverse order it would have been reasonable to believe he would still be here.  Very much as you say a victim of his own success. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

3 minutes ago, Watson said:

Agree with both posts but I still think ."Might have done it better the other way around"? as @asteener1867 says, in hindsight would have been the better option.

27 minutes ago, Watson said:

But we didn't go for it did we?

We all knew what we needed and it wasn't addressed.

We bought ageing, expensive players without giving it much thought.

We've jizzed millions.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

But we didn't go for it did we?

We all knew what we needed and it wasn't addressed.

We bought ageing, expensive players without giving it much thought.

We've jizzed millions.

They went for it by buying 'ageing expensive players'.  Very few on OT disagreed with the signings at the time.

Hindsight is the keyword remember. 

Just now, offalyowl said:

Yeah but we also have to remember that our academy want great at that time so we had to buy players instead of promoting youth like Jo's is doing now 

Agreed. But with £350k spent on Pelupessy and two loan signings that probably don't involve combined loan fees of more than £500k, Jos has spent £1m on three players that have improved our matchday squad streets ahead of even Carlos' last six signings. We've got a bloke in charge who knows how to get Championship-quality players on cheap, something we stopped doing after CC's first season. 

It's hard not to lament all that wasted cash when you see the pragmatic transfer policy pay off for us, much as it did for clubs like Huddersfield and Cardiff. Maybe Jos can get similar achievements with similar levels of resources, but just imagine what sort of gems he could pick up if he'd had even half of what Carlos had... 

57 minutes ago, Watson said:

Yep if CC reign had been in reverse order it would have been reasonable to believe he would still be here.  Very much as you say a victim of his own success. 

I dont know if you are on a wind up, as normally your post are quite sensible, and on the whole I agree with, but this one made me chuckle.