World cup bid 2030

Just now, cognacbarnowl said:

Ah come on Sham. Y'know very well that football only started when the premier thing got invented ffs lol 

FFS

Sugar, looks like we'll miss out to Boundary Park or Plough Lane....lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

16 stadiums would be chosen, so Sheffield is bound to get games. Likely 12 in England and the rest elsewhere.

What people seem to not realise is that cities can only host one stadium, with the exception of one (London), special dispensation would be sort for more multiple hosts.

Wembley

Emirates/New WHL

Old Trafford

Anfield

St James

Stadium of Light

Villa Park

Elland Road

Hillsborough

King Power
St Mary's

Ashton Gate

Murrayfield (Scotland)

Hampden (Scotland)

Millennium (Wales)

Croke Park (Ireland)

Would be my picks. Could all change in 12 years though.

I'd imagine the Aviva would be in there too. If it's a joint bid with Ireland I wonder if those pesky GAA people will open up other GAA grounds like Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Gaelic Grounds and Fitzgerald Stadium and get them upgraded. I know they're not elite level stadiums, but with these bids they always talk about legacy.  They are all 40 odd thousand capacity stadiums albeit with quite a bit of standing. Mind you, the Irish bid for the RWC didn't exactly go well.

Unless the want a Sheffield stadium as the birthplace of football, I couldn't see us getting a look in.

2 hours ago, Owl999 said:

I could care less if England bid wins or not in all honesty, certainly would wish my life away looking forward to it if they did .

You've said the opposite of what I presume you intended, here.

I don't think England will win the 2030 bid, will most likely go to the Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay joint bid by the sound of things. After that, China is being mentioned for 2034, so our best chance might well be 2038, when we're old men. I doubt Hillsborough will be in the running to host any games either way.

15 hours ago, Onge said:

It was going to be renovated for the bid and obviously that didn't happen. If the World Cup is to be shared across the British Isles far fewer English stadia will be needed. There's no chance Hillsborough would make the grade...

Possibly but considering the expansion of teams in the world cup, they will likely need more stadia.

This will probably get downvoted to hell, but the only way Sheffield will host World Cup football is if the City modernises itself and builds a top class facility for both clubs.

The idea of modernising Hillsborough or Bramall Lane to compete with the other northern cities and clubs that haven't stood still for 20 years is a non-starter. Too much work, both to the grounds themselves and the surrounding areas. You also have two football clubs who I think would be receptive to it for perhaps the first time ever. We all know McCabe's property background, and I don't think taking control of the ground to lease back to United was an accident, especially not with all the other development going on down there. For our part, there's been a quiet level of speculation about our long term future at Hillsborough since Chansiri took over.

Unless something dramatic happens, the idea of either club putting together a convincing case to host WC football at Hillsborough or Bramall Lane is pie in the sky stuff. It needs to be a Sheffield effort, where there's obvious leverage for us to host it.

As I say though, it requires a level of modernisation and co-operation I don't expect from this City or its clubs. But it does make sense.

9 minutes ago, keefdave said:

Some of us on here will just be glad to still be alive in 2030

your not wrong , bit like that super fast train to London when`s that 2040? , I wish they would scrap international breaks and go back to playing there games after seasons finished then we don't have to go on a tues/weds night in mid winter and instead would have 4 more weekend games . I don't give a stuff for international games or watching boring champions league unless were in it. 

On 03/10/2018 at 19:13, Eastern said:

I am not so sure. Bigger city than most, good transport links, hotel capacity.

On 03/10/2018 at 18:50, spike1867 said:

I'd imagine the Aviva would be in there too. If it's a joint bid with Ireland I wonder if those pesky GAA people will open up other GAA grounds like Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Gaelic Grounds and Fitzgerald Stadium and get them upgraded. I know they're not elite level stadiums, but with these bids they always talk about legacy.  They are all 40 odd thousand capacity stadiums albeit with quite a bit of standing. Mind you, the Irish bid for the RWC didn't exactly go well.

Unless the want a Sheffield stadium as the birthplace of football, I couldn't see us getting a look in.

The GAA won't open grounds like that during the Championship. So Aviva would be the only Irish ground. The fact Northern Ireland want in on the bid is silly. Windsor Park is a modern stadium but only holds 18500 and I dont want money spent on building a stadium for one or two matches.

20 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

your not wrong , bit like that super fast train to London when`s that 2040? , I wish they would scrap international breaks and go back to playing there games after seasons finished then we don't have to go on a tues/weds night in mid winter and instead would have 4 more weekend games . I don't give a stuff for international games or watching boring champions league unless were in it. 

I take it you ignored Englands run to tio the semi finals? I think its sad how many have reverted back to international football bashing. 

On 03/10/2018 at 11:40, cognacbarnowl said:

Ah come on Sham. Y'know very well that football only started when the premier thing got invented ffs lol 

FFS

Well... Sheffield housed 2 of the inaugural EPL teams.

Still the home of football.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

On 03/10/2018 at 12:13, Eastern said:

I am not so sure. Bigger city than most, good transport links, hotel capacity.

Sheffield is only the 9th biggest metro area in England.  And the 11th biggest in the British Isles.  It's also one of the poorest economically.

As for transport links, its road network is dogshit, and overly relies on the M1 as a means of getting to and from.

As for hotel capacity, Sheffield has the number of rooms you'd expect from a city with an under performing economy.  

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I take it you ignored Englands run to tio the semi finals? I think its sad how many have reverted back to international football bashing. 

yer I watched it and enjoyed it ,even though England had the easiest set of games in world cup history ,like a lot of supporters was 1st time watching an England game since 2016 , most international games are as good as sleeping tablets they get you off to sleep cause they are that slow n boring. 

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

yer I watched it and enjoyed it ,even though England had the easiest set of games in world cup history ,like a lot of supporters was 1st time watching an England game since 2016 , most international games are as good as sleeping tablets they get you off to sleep cause they are that slow n boring. 

So you hate international football but enjoyed England at the World Cup

Put your England shirt away till 2020

Lol

I don't buy this British Isles Bid idea. England is one of the few countries in the world that could host the newly expanded World Cup on its own. 

Over the summer it was plain to see all the other home nations hate us when it comes to football, but they're willing to share a tournament with us. I wonder why that might be... Oh yeah, it's because they have ZERO chance of hosting without us. 

England could and should host alone and as the home of football Sheffield should feature prominently in that bid. 

On 03/10/2018 at 16:18, WelshOwl74 said:

Leeds,Manchester clubs ,Leicester and Liverpool clubs up north

Have a word with yourself

On 03/10/2018 at 17:33, Birley Owl 1867 said:

16 stadiums would be chosen, so Sheffield is bound to get games. Likely 12 in England and the rest elsewhere.

What people seem to not realise is that cities can only host one stadium, with the exception of one (London), special dispensation would be sort for more multiple hosts.

Wembley

Emirates/New WHL

Old Trafford

Anfield

St James

Stadium of Light

Villa Park

Elland Road

Hillsborough

King Power
St Mary's

Ashton Gate

Murrayfield (Scotland)

Hampden (Scotland)

Millennium (Wales)

Croke Park (Ireland)

Would be my picks. Could all change in 12 years though.

17 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

The GAA won't open grounds like that during the Championship. So Aviva would be the only Irish ground. The fact Northern Ireland want in on the bid is silly. Windsor Park is a modern stadium but only holds 18500 and I dont want money spent on building a stadium for one or two matches.

Don't see any possible way that England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland host it (and presumably get in as hosts), but Norn Iron don't. Politically far too difficult I'd think. I think Wembley would get the final, but a semi in Wales and Scotland and a quarter final in England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland.

I think you'd get:

London:

Wembley (Final)

WHL (or Twickenham if they just go mental for capacity and using rugby stadiums everywhere)

Midlands:

King Power 

Villa Park

North West:

Old Trafford 

Anfield 

Yorkshire:

Elland Road

North East:

St James

Stadium of Light

Scotland:

Hampden

Murrayfield

South West and Wales:

St Mary's

Ashton Gate

Millennium

Island of Ireland:

Windsor Park (capacity raised to about 30k)

Aviva

6 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Have a word with yourself

Don't see any possible way that England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland host it (and presumably get in as hosts), but Norn Iron don't. Politically far too difficult I'd think. I think Wembley would get the final, but a semi in Wales and Scotland and a quarter final in England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland.

I think you'd get:

London:

Wembley (Final)

WHL (or Twickenham if they just go mental for capacity and using rugby stadiums everywhere)

Midlands:

King Power 

Villa Park

North West:

Old Trafford 

Anfield 

Yorkshire:

Elland Road

North East:

St James

Stadium of Light

Scotland:

Hampden

Murrayfield

South West and Wales:

St Mary's

Ashton Gate

Millennium

Island of Ireland:

Windsor Park (capacity raised to about 30k)

Aviva

There is no political reason for Northern Ireland needing to be included.

And there is no long term benefit to a capacity increase, will just mean over 10 thousands empty seats at future games and worse atmosphere.