Westwood

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Which of the two goals tonight should Dawson have kept out? Bemused by the criticism he's taking quite frankly.

:huh:

It’s just the in thing to slate Dawson I think ,  in all honesty he did nothing wrong tonight and if Westwood or Wildsmith had played it wouldn’t have made a slight difference 

Guest Willow Owl
11 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's insulting to be told it's a footballing decision, when it blatantly isn't.

We've spunked 30 million on shiite though, so what's a couple more million in wasted wages ? The season ticket holders can pay a bit more to cover it off.

@Mr Farrell why do you troll back through people's posts and neg them just because they disagree with you on another thread. Grow up you really are embarrassing yourself. 

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, Shezza said:

This guy. Every time he's negged, he looks up one of your old posts and returns it :duntmatter:

He does it regularly with me. Rather than debate a subject he drops in a controversial comment then hides behind the neg button. Sad really 

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Nothing but 8 games and no clean sheet something has to change.

we won't see Westwood unless a new manager comes in!

So when Westwood went 8 games without a clean sheet last year then would you have dropped him

We’re massively missing Westwood’s experience, organisation skills & his ability to command the area.

when we’re playing (attempting) counter attack football like tonight, Westwood has proved previously he can be a big asset.

The future maybe Dawson/wildsmith but Westwood is far superior in every department stated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He had only 3 in his 18 games last season and we were 14th after his final appearance (one place lower than tonight).

So 1 clean sheet in every 6? Would take that now. While we weren't keeping clean sheets much early on last season we weren't conceding 2 in most games either - only conceded more than 1 once in our first 11 games.

I don't think Dawson has done badly but we don't look organised or commanding at all. There is little we can do in terms of adding experience or leadership to the defence so as we still have that option available in goal wouldn't it be better to give it a try rather than freezing him out? One of the most cash-strapped clubs in the division with one of the most expensive keepers in the league as 3rd choice is not a great reflection on anyone.

Westwood will be back in the side once Dawson has been replaced by Wildsmith, had his turn, and nothing changes.

Inevitable. Might aswell bring him back now and avoid chucking away points that might mean the difference between going up or staying in the Championship. Sometimes being obstinate costs you dearly.

Edited by theowlsman

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

So 1 clean sheet in every 6? Would take that now. While we weren't keeping clean sheets much early on last season we weren't conceding 2 in most games either - only conceded more than 1 once in our first 11 games.

But how much of that was due to the emphasis on defence under Carvalhal last season? If we weren't conceding many, then we weren't scoring many either because our goal difference after Westwood's last game was 0.

But the whole conversation is moot anyway. I don't know why Westwood is in the Lachmann doghouse but it's almost certainly not solely performance related.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

But how much of that was due to the emphasis on defence under Carvalhal last season? If we weren't conceding many, then we weren't scoring many either because our goal difference after Westwood's last game was 0.

But the whole conversation is moot anyway. I don't know why Westwood is in the Lachmann doghouse but it's almost certainly not solely performance related.

Again, I would take that the way things are going. 

I agree that we had a greater emphasis on keeping things tight than we do now, but this again would point towards needing more experience and leadership to help us out at the moment.

I don't remember us ever looking so susceptible at the back week-in, week-out when Westwood was in goal.

I know that'll be too simplistic for some of you, and in any case, I don't make this to sound as the indictment against Dawson that some will take it as - after all, it's not 'obvious' that any weaknesses at the back are even down to him; I rate him highly, and see him as our rightful future number one - but whilst we've got the tried-and-tested Westwood sitting around doing nothing, I'd prefer there to be an 'honest' contest for the keeper's starting shirt, as there seems to be with all the other positions.

I'm also bewildered by the number of players that we just seem to have ex-communicated over the past 3 or 4 years, all while Chansiri's owned the club. Sadly, I don't think it's a coincidence. I'd much prefer we look to find more constructive solutions than what we have been doing with players that find themselves out of favour. We just seem to give up on them.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cowl said:

I don't remember us ever looking so susceptible at the back week-in, week-out when Westwood was in goal.

I know that'll be too simplistic for some of you, and in any case, I don't make this to sound as the indictment against Dawson that some will take it as - after all, it's not 'obvious' that any weaknesses at the back are even down to him; I rate him highly, and see him as our rightful future number one - but whilst we've got the tried-and-tested Westwood sitting around doing nothing, I'd prefer there to be an 'honest' contest for the keeper's starting shirt, as there seems to be with all the other positions.

I'm also bewildered by the number of players that we just seem to have ex-communicated over the past 3 or 4 years, all while Chansiri's owned the club. Sadly, I don't think it's a coincidence. I'd much prefer we look to find more constructive solutions than what we have been doing with players that find themselves out of favour. We just seem to give up on them.

It's going to be like this for a while because we're not allowed to spend.

So we've got to make the most of the small budget we have.

It's been done to death on here mate and I know you've seen it because you've contributed.

The club want Westwood out!!.. not because he's a crap goalie.

What don't you understand?

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

It's going to be like this for a while because we're not allowed to spend.

So we've got to make the most of the small budget we have.

It's been done to death on here mate and I know you've seen it because you've contributed.

The club want Westwood out!!.. not because he's a crap goalie.

What don't you understand?

Why the club want him out.

If you understand why this is then you can explain it to me.

And then when you've done that we can debate whether it's a reasonable way for the club to proceed.

15 hours ago, Hitcat said:

Personally couldn't give a monkey's about the background to the story. I'm just pleased we're giving a young talented keeper the opportunity to progress and develop.

I agree to a certain extent, and I am sure Dawson will gain bags of experience from being first choice, which hopefully will make him a better keeper. However, he still is indecisive for me, which leads to situations that could and should be avoided. I do not think he inspires the confidence in defenders that Westwood had, and for me that is a real problem.

Learning on the job so to speak is difficult, and Dawson is going to make mistakes as all goalkeepers will, but he doesn't strike me as a natural shot stopper or imposing presence, and his development whilst possibly being beneficial in the long term, is in my opinion hindering and hampering us in the present.

I do wish him well, but like many cannot believe that ability wise he is better than Westwood.