The youngsters - quality

The most pleasing thing for me today was the performances of our u23 lads. I thought both Thorniley and Baker were very comfortable in the senior team and a pleasure to watch. I was also pleased to see Hunt Preston and Lee on the bench. I think we have a nucleus of local lads which with stars like FF and Bannan, Hutch and Lees should see us doing well regardless of P&S. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

The most pleasing thing for me today was the performances of our u23 lads. I thought both Thorniley and Baker were very comfortable in the senior team and a pleasure to watch. I was also pleased to see Hunt Preston and Lee on the bench. I think we have a nucleus of local lads which with stars like FF and Bannan, Hutch and Lees should see us doing well regardless of P&S. 

agreed. its unfortunate for them that they all need to hit the ground running

7 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

A good mix, need to keep playing the youngsters, can only get better.

10 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

Dawson did well too.

• Like 2

With Joao injured and Nhuihi suspended I thought Burukov might've had a chance to make the bench.

For me he's looking a far better prospect than Hirst did and is a bit more stocky and prepared to play against the big boys.

Here's hoping he's at least in the squad Thursday.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, owl-zat said:

With Joao injured and Nhuihi suspended I thought Burukov might've had a chance to make the bench.

For me he's looking a far better prospect than Hirst did and is a bit more stocky and prepared to play against the big boys.

Here's hoping he's at least in the squad Thursday.

Bit of a rose tinted view there.

The kid has scored about 5% of the goals that Hirst scored in his time with us, but somehow you feel he looks a far better prospect?

That said, I did feel that we missed a physical presence on the bench, so I understand why he might have been there.

I have a nagging feeling that if Nuhiu or Fletcher had been on the bench we might have gone on to win that. 

Agreed, although hardly a wingback Thornilly was still a big improvement on Fox. ( he’s not a wingback either).

Baker was steady but solid throughout and looks the sort of player who is mobile and energetic enough to become an effective wingback for us.

Well played both of them, During the game I kept thinking Thornilly might be better in the back three with Hutch doing the defensive midfield job instead of Joey who looked off the pace to me.

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I have a nagging feeling that if Nuhiu or Fletcher had been on the bench we might have gone on to win that. 

Yep. Once Fletcher went off we completely list our attacking impetus. Matias looked eager enough but he was always dropping deep so we had no one in the centre forward position. If we'd had another CF on the bench we'd have won that.

Just now, rickygoo said:

There’s a limit though. At half time watching the subs warm up it was like being at an old school first 11 game.

They looked like little kids.

Thats a bit harsh. there were way more positives  looking at the U23 talent on show than negatives. Besides Fox was caught out way more. As an earlier poster said we need them to hit the ground running and on that basis, I think there are grounds to be positive.

Just now, Reallondonowl said:

Thats a bit harsh. there were way more positives  looking at the U23 talent on show than negatives. Besides Fox was caught out way more. As an earlier poster said we need them to hit the ground running and on that basis, I think there are grounds to be positive.

Baker and Thorniley were fine. I’m talking about having three subs who looked like school kids. We’ve had a strong bench over the last few years. Not any more. 

Thorniley looks like he has what it takes to be a good solid player at this level.

That's the first time I've seen Baker and I thought he did pretty well given that he's a full back, not a wing back so needs some time to adapt to the extra attacking responsibilities. He also wasn't helped much by the fact that our midfield was so narrow in the first half that when he ended up with the ball out wide there was no out ball for him other than back inside.

Dawson had another solid game too. Overall it was a decent performance from the youngsters imo.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It’s good to see young players making the side, but there were quite a few today and being unable to make another attacking substitution probably cost us a win. 

That's a valid point but a separate issue. With Joao injured, who would you have played ?

6 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

That's a valid point but a separate issue. With Joao injured, who would you have played ?

Thorniley is solid defensively but we could’ve perhaps put Reach at LWB and Boyd further forward. 

Or if we are down to youth players already  then Borukov seems a unit for the more central role left by fletcher when he came off.

Edited by Bluesteel