The youngsters - quality

Guest wilyfox

I think it underlines just how crap Fox and Palmer are, that Thorniley can come in out of position with the inexperienced Baker and do a better job. 

54 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Appreciate neither is ideal though and we’ve supposedly got a big squad 

jos wouldn't agree with you . he said in the post match interview on radio Sheffield that he was down to 16-17 players .

1 hour ago, owl-zat said:

With Joao injured and Nhuihi suspended I thought Burukov might've had a chance to make the bench.

For me he's looking a far better prospect than Hirst did and is a bit more stocky and prepared to play against the big boys.

Here's hoping he's at least in the squad Thursday.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he hasn't been given a squad number..... As yet. 

23 hours ago, torryowl said:

jos wouldn't agree with you . he said in the post match interview on radio Sheffield that he was down to 16-17 players .

The fact that 2 games into the season we are down to 16 or players already speaks volumes. One season in the next millenia we may actually have 25 players to pick from instead of a bunch of constant crocks

I don't understand all the concern about age, the earlier they see front line action, the better they'll be, if they are going to be.  The time for a player to get League experience is when he's 19-20-21, by the time he's 25 he's done making "new guy" mistakes, is a veteran, working on becoming a grizzled old veteran, or no longer with the Club.   

A Club can buy a 19-20-21 year old superstar,  Pogba cost MANU what, 90,000,000 pounds sterling?   That's the price of world-famous "kids", 2 or 3 years ago, might be more these days.

A Club can develop their own superstars, from their own Academy.   Thorniley & Baker are going to get playing time, and it wouldn't surprise me if both start against Sunderland, like to see more of Penney, Borukov, Nielsen, Kirby....funny isn't it, our Academy is ripe with Defenders & Midfielders, and we're looking for the same, elsewhere.  

I thought all the young lads did well. Thornily in particular looks a unit with particular potential in the left centre back or left back area. By half time we were down to 6 potential subs with Thornily already on. I noticed that the subs split into 2 groups of 3. Wildsmith, Boyd and Matias, and the 3 young lads. There was zero interaction between them. Integrating the young lads with the more experienced professionals is a key job for Jos. I have some doubts about Jos, but this is something in which is have every confidence in him.

On 11/08/2018 at 11:47, Reallondonowl said:

The most pleasing thing for me today was the performances of our u23 lads. I thought both Thorniley and Baker were very comfortable in the senior team and a pleasure to watch. I was also pleased to see Hunt Preston and Lee on the bench. I think we have a nucleus of local lads which with stars like FF and Bannan, Hutch and Lees should see us doing well regardless of P&S. 

This is what I'm looking forward to most this season.

Maybe CC saw this coming and that's why he advised the club to invest in the youth system, as an insurance policy. 

Of course, you wouldn't throw in the youngsters when you have a team / squad that got to the play offs 2 seasons running; you have to play your best team. 

But now, they seem to be needed. 

:carlosswfc:

20 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Maybe CC saw this coming and that's why he advised the club to invest in the youth system, as an insurance policy. 

Of course, you wouldn't throw in the youngsters when you have a team / squad that got to the play offs 2 seasons running; you have to play your best team. 

But now, they seem to be needed. 

:carlosswfc:

Yeah , that really sounds like the kinda foreword planning clueless is renowned for :duntmatter:

On 11/08/2018 at 19:47, Reallondonowl said:

The most pleasing thing for me today was the performances of our u23 lads. I thought both Thorniley and Baker were very comfortable in the senior team and a pleasure to watch. I was also pleased to see Hunt Preston and Lee on the bench. I think we have a nucleus of local lads which with stars like FF and Bannan, Hutch and Lees should see us doing well regardless of P&S. 

If we can avoid getting all giddy again and smashing out millions on players there's every chance we can evolve into a really successful club that brings through hungry young players

I'd love that. Developing our own talent, making them superstars and heroes.

Owlstalk Shop

Whereas I agree that its good to see players develop from the junior levels and should be encouraged. All of them seem to be competent players but none of them seem to be any more than that.  Are there any flair players coming through, players to excite the fans?  Or is it just a conveyor belt of standard players.  I know I seem a little needy but I do like my flair players.  

Anyone in the know?

The young players will need patience from the fans to progress, this season is a learning curve for them and can do without the added pressure of fans expectations.

Forget about promotion this season, if we get into the top 6 it will be a bonus, and give these youngsters all the support we can.

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If we can avoid getting all giddy again and smashing out millions on players there's every chance we can evolve into a really successful club that brings through hungry young players

I'd love that. Developing our own talent, making them superstars and heroes.

In 47 seasons as a S/T holder, that is all I have ever wanted from Wednesday, evolution, not revolution.

That is how the clubs are doing it  today.

Burnley.

Brentford.

Dem Blades.

Barnsley.

Bournmouth.

Edited by adelphi1867

8 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The young players will need patience from the fans to progress, this season is a learning curve for them and can do without the added pressure of fans expectations.

Forget about promotion this season, if we get into the top 6 it will be a bonus, and give these youngsters all the support we can.

I expect and demand promotion mate.  If the player's and management aren't on board with that then they need to leave.  First team games aren't training exercises they are the business.  

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:07, McRightSide said:

Bit of a rose tinted view there.

The kid has scored about 5% of the goals that Hirst scored in his time with us, but somehow you feel he looks a far better prospect?

That said, I did feel that we missed a physical presence on the bench, so I understand why he might have been there.

I have a nagging feeling that if Nuhiu or Fletcher had been on the bench we might have gone on to win that. 

Not at all, I've seen both Hirst and Borukov in action and Borukov looks the more complete player at the moment.

Maybe Hirst will develop and gain a bit of strength so he's not knocked off the ball so easy