Westwood is 3rd choice - Official

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

So you believe Westwood feigned injury at a time when the club needed their senior players and this is okay? 

Exactly. A Senior player that we desperately needed. Why would the club not use him? Unless he made himself unavailable?

Westwood is no angel.

9 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

100% true.

Everyone in this thread highlighting how strange the situation is without wondering what is the cause of the situation.

Westwood went missing last year when we had to call Dawson back from Chesterfield.

He's done it multiple times.

The club has had enough.

Do you want them to come out to the public and say 'yes, he's been causing unrest at the club. Now who wants to buy him'?

This is nothing to do with Jos. Nothing to do with having a buyer lined up. Nothing to do with Chansiri being weird.

This is fully the club enforcing rules to a senior player.

Believe me or don't believe me, I don't mind. Plenty of people on here know me and know I'm not a bullshitter.

Done it multiple times? Such as? Why did he get a start at all in pre-season then?

No, the club is far better off stating that he is now 3rd choice behind 2 rookie keepers - that has hardly optimised his market value to us has it!

3 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Such as: everytime he's been unavailable for us and not turning up to training but telling Ireland he can play.

Explain that.

When? How many times has he played for Ireland when he has been unavailable for Wednesday? Multiple times you say.......

While i disagree with Jos as i think Westwood is still our best keeper i'm not overly concerned by his sticking with 2 keepers who have done really well for him and undoubtedly are the future for the club 

Westwoods injury came at the wrong time for him its unfortunate for him but thats football 

6 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Swimming against the tide on this thread but for what it’s eorth from first to last post you’ve made I think you’ve been spot on! 

Manager says he’s thinking of future, so let’s stop looking to the past or even the present. If there’s no way in hell that Westwood is here next term, why would we play him. It sacrifices a year of top level development to one of the young lads and for what? We won’t be pushing for promotion regardless of who’s in goal. 

Chansiri says it’s promotion or bust this season. Why shoot yourself in the foot not playing the best players. If it’s as bad as he makes out we’re screwed next season. 

14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

When? How many times has he played for Ireland when he has been unavailable for Wednesday? Multiple times you say.......

First one: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/08/sheffield-wednesday-fans-react-as-injured-keiren-westwood-is-nam/

Why was he in the squad but unavailable to us?

It's really not rocket science.

Edited by Matt_1

1 minute ago, Matt_1 said:

First one: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/08/sheffield-wednesday-fans-react-as-injured-keiren-westwood-is-nam/

Why was he in the squad but unavailable to us?

It's really not rocket science.

That one was discussed in detail at the time and was cleared up. He didn't play or have any intensive involvement in Eire training did he? First one has little substance, where are all your other multiple examples of this.

Also, surely it is down to our medical staff to determine who is or isn't fit to play for us? If the medical staff say he doesn't have an injury but Westwood claims he does at any time then surely that would be a breach of contract and he wouldn't be getting paid? Not sure he would accept losing circa £30K a week for very long. 

It is worth mentioning, that I don't think Westwood in goal yesterday would have made any difference in respect of the result. 

Thought Dawson had a very good game and was really unlucky with their goal, where he made a terrific point-blank save. 

My biggest gripe is I don't buy for one minute that Westwood is "third" choice. 

In my view there has either been a fallout between him and Jos (perhaps over the whole injury/tweet thing) or those above Jos are dictating that Westwood cannot play. 

17 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

Chansiri says it’s promotion or bust this season. Why shoot yourself in the foot not playing the best players. If it’s as bad as he makes out we’re screwed next season. 

So do you think with Westwood we’ll be promoted? 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That one was discussed in detail at the time and was cleared up. He didn't play or have any intensive involvement in Eire training did he? First one has little substance, where are all your other multiple examples of this.

Also, surely it is down to our medical staff to determine who is or isn't fit to play for us? If the medical staff say he doesn't have an injury but Westwood claims he does at any time then surely that would be a breach of contract and he wouldn't be getting paid? Not sure he would accept losing circa £30K a week for very long. 

Ireland wouldn't select an injured played for their squad, christ.

That second paragraph is pure speculation but anyway, down to our medical staff? Like it was down to our medical staff when they were telling Carlos players were being rushed back? What about other senior pros? Do you think FF, BB etc would watch a senior player get frozen out of the squad and have nothing to say? No transfer requests? Would they really stand by and watch if they weren't on the clubs side?

Open your eyes mate.

Every instance of him going missing obviously won't make it to the papers but people who work at football clubs do know people outside football clubs.

As I've said, people know me on here and I'm not a bullshitter. I don't care if you do or don't, just take a step back and ask why would any of this be happening?

1 minute ago, Matt_1 said:

That second paragraph is pure speculation but anyway, down to our medical staff? Like it was down to our medical staff when they were telling Carlos players were being rushed back? What about other senior pros? Do you think FF, BB etc would watch a senior player get frozen out of the squad and have nothing to say? No transfer requests? Would they really stand by and watch if they weren't on the clubs side?

Open your eyes mate.

Every instance of him going missing obviously won't make it to the papers but people who work at football clubs do know people outside football clubs.

As I've said, people know me on here and I'm not a bullshitter. I don't care if you do or don't, just take a step back and ask why would any of this be happening?

This was explained at the time, christ - even Radio Sheffield managed to clarify it with O'Neill.

Do you think we would have to pay a player if he said he was unfit but it couldn't be proven and he was being selected by his national side as you say? If that were the case then surely every player could just jack it in if they didn't fancy it, say they were injured and pick up the money anyway.

Maybe we haven't been playing him because we can't afford to pay him anymore loyalty bonuses based on number of appearances or clean sheet and appearance bonuses as well?

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This was explained at the time, christ - even Radio Sheffield managed to clarify it with O'Neill.

Do you think we would have to pay a player if he said he was unfit but it couldn't be proven and he was being selected by his national side as you say? If that were the case then surely every player could just jack it in if they didn't fancy it, say they were injured and pick up the money anyway.

Maybe we haven't been playing him because we can't afford to pay him anymore loyalty bonuses based on number of appearances or clean sheet and appearance bonuses as well?

That's speculation though. I'm not speculating, I know.

I guess we just need to hope the truth comes out soon then so we don't have to keep wasting our Sundays, eh?

24 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So do you think with Westwood we’ll be promoted? 

There’s only one way we’re getting out of this division under Chansiri and it’s not going up. Mainly because of decisions like making our highly paid international goalkeeper play for the reserves. 

Just remember it’s the fans fault. 

Edited by kingsidney

10 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

That's speculation though. I'm not speculating, I know.

I guess we just need to hope the truth comes out soon then so we don't have to keep wasting our Sundays, eh?

Prove it then and we don't need to waste anymore of our Sunday. 

Are you saying we have been paying him his salary for 6 months when he has been fit to play but refusing to do so on his say so that he is not fit?

4 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

There’s only one way we’re getting out of this division under Chansiri and it’s not going up. Mainly because of decisions like making our highly paid international goalkeeper play for the reserves. 

Just remember it’s the fans fault. 

Well you concede we’re unlikely to go up but still favour the idea of playing experienced goalkeeper that’s certainly on way out rather than developing the two kids we have? 

I find this very odd and think whilst it may be a short term impact it’s more beneficial in long run. 

39 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Open your eyes mate.

Most international teams when players are selected but the clubs say they are unfit, insist that they turn up anyway to be assessed by their medical staff. That started when Alex Ferguson used to say their players were injured but used to paly the following weekend. It's the norm now.

Edited by daveyboy66

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Most international teams when players are selected but the clubs say they are unfit, insist that they turn up anyway to be assessed by their medical staff. That started when Alex Ferguson used to say their players were injured but used to paly the following weekend. It's the norm now.

This is correct

Owlstalk Shop

I've heard from a few people around the club that Westwood has refused to play for us at least 3 times in his career . I think jos is the only manager we've had who said enough is enough .Westwood is a decent goalie but come on we have to blood these keepers .with Westwood or without him we're mid table so why not give s home grown lad a season .the club need to wake up on some issues but so do the fans . 

• Thanks 1