Westwood is 3rd choice - Official

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Prove it then and we don't need to waste anymore of our Sunday. 

Are you saying we have been paying him his salary for 6 months when he has been fit to play but refusing to do so on his say so that he is not fit?

You know it's not that easy when people still work at the club.

Why would I lie though? I've been on this site about 15 years. Why would I start telling tales now?

1 hour ago, Craig enock said:

I've heard from a few people around the club that Westwood has refused to play for us at least 3 times in his career . I think jos is the only manager we've had who said enough is enough .Westwood is a decent goalie but come on we have to blood these keepers .with Westwood or without him we're mid table so why not give s home grown lad a season .the club need to wake up on some issues but so do the fans . 

Strange because he was quick to point out he was available recently before being ignored.

And refusing to play? Was that in Carlos’s time when injured players were asked to play, and then sufferered longer periods out injured as a result, with potentially, Westwood being one of those impacted by this stupid policy that took place under the current Chairman’s watch?

2 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

You know it's not that easy when people still work at the club.

Why would I lie though? I've been on this site about 15 years. Why would I start telling tales now?

Not saying you are a liar, sorry if it came across that way. I would question the source of your information on this one though. If they are high up in the club/close to the playing staff then maybe it is not so professional to divulge this information at all and if they aren't in a position so close to the players maybe they have heard something akin to chinese whispers and something has got lost along the way.

From what I have seen Westwood has been at the games plenty when not involved and has been a popular member within the squad during his time with us. 

If he has refused to play at any point may it relates to the post below where Carlos was refusing point blank to turn to the academy teams and was sending out players who were far from 100% - we have seen the impact this has had.

I would find it far more plausible that he is being left out for financial reasons or a falling out with the manager. It seems strange that he would be chosen to play pre-season and be willing to be involved in photo shoots for new kits if he was refusing to play.  

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Strange because he was quick to point out he was available recently before being ignored.

And refusing to play? Was that in Carlos’s time when injured players were asked to play, and then sufferered longer periods out injured as a result, with potentially, Westwood being one of those impacted by this stupid policy that took place under the current Chairman’s watch?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
15 hours ago, zzmdu said:

Jos has lost the plot????

How many times does this need saying; to sink in with our fans.

ITS NOWT TO DO WITH JOS. WESTWOOD & THE CLUB FELL OUT IN JAN. PLENTY THAT KNEW THIS SAID THAT KW WOULDN'T PLAY FOR SWFC AGAIN. AND HE HASN'T. ITS NOWT TO DO WITH JOS & SELECTION.

Never hear this before 

On 11/08/2018 at 19:22, @owlstalk said:

Jos saying that Westwood will only get a game in the event of Dawson and Wildsmith being injured etc and is now third choice

Says that the two young keepers have excelled in his time here, and deserve their chance, and that they are the future of goalkeeping at Sheffield Wednesday and that's why the decision has been made

Or does Westwood get paid an additional fee for playing? Is the an economic decision?

Wednesday fans are great, when Westwood was out injured for large periods of last season all the talk was about letting him go, he wasn't needed etc.  The minute he's fit then there is uproar that he's not playing.

Why do people also think that the decision not to play him has come from the top, he still gets paid whether he plays or not.  Maybe, just maybe it's as black and white as Jos says and he's going with youth and the future of SWFC.

1 hour ago, nk said:

Wednesday fans are great, when Westwood was out injured for large periods of last season all the talk was about letting him go, he wasn't needed etc.  The minute he's fit then there is uproar that he's not playing.

This was most likely said in terms of Westwood being sold. We need to raise funds/reduce costs and Westwood is one of the obvious guys to move on, so having two excellent young GK's would soften the loss.

However, to not play him when he's fit and a Wednesday player is something completely different, and it seems pretty barmy to me.

19 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

This was most likely said in terms of Westwood being sold. We need to raise funds/reduce costs and Westwood is one of the obvious guys to move on, so having two excellent young GK's would soften the loss.

However, to not play him when he's fit and a Wednesday player is something completely different, and it seems pretty barmy to me.

Exactly. Sell him or play him.

This banishing players, mystery injurys etc hasnt worked for 2 years. You'd think we'd learn.

• Thanks 1

On 11/08/2018 at 18:08, Rogers said:

He was playing injured last season imo

Find that hard to believe. Every time I've ever seen him get a knock he's either come off pretty much straightaway or not re-appeared after half time. Terry Butcher he most definitely ain't.

16 minutes ago, passthepig said:

Find that hard to believe. Every time I've ever seen him get a knock he's either come off pretty much straightaway or not re-appeared after half time. Terry Butcher he most definitely ain't.

He played with a broken rib vs the Pigs ffs.

He basically spent half a season playing with injections in his ankle before every game when we got to the play offs, which is why he kept pulling out of the Ireland squads. 

A move to Stoke wouldn't make sense if Westwood wants first team football. 

Stoke already have two excellent goalies so he would be third choice at Stoke just as he is here. 

Wednesday will probably have to subsidise Westwood wages should he go out on loan as its highly unlikely that any club will pay a 33 year old third choice championship goalie at least 40 grand a week. 

Sadly Wednesday are doing another great career ruining job on yet another player. Westwood deserves better. Were it not be for him and forestieri we would never have made the play offs final. It was Westwood who got us into the play off semis against Huddersfield. 

Westwood is too good and been too good a player to be treated so shamefully. 

He's our best goalie. Play him 

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Exactly. Sell him or play him.

This banishing players, mystery injurys etc hasnt worked for 2 years. You'd think we'd learn.

Bang on the money. No problem with selling him, but either sell him or play him. He's currently our best keeper, so play him until he's gone, and let's stop with the player fallouts Mr. C. Please!