Does this mean Westwood is back to number 1?

6 minutes ago, Marc_Degryse said:

As this season pretty well seems to be a write off in terms of promotion chances, why not use it as an opportunity to develop younger players?

KW may well still be the best keeper at the club, but at 33 going on 34 time is not on his side, especially with his injury record. Surely it's better to give Dawson/Wildsmith a chance, sure they might make a few more mistakes but in the long term they may work out as a better prospect than relying on a guy arguably past his best? For the record I'm a big fan of KW but time waits for no man.

I'd prefer to olive branch if there has been a falling out, get KW putting in some MOM performances (hopefully clean sheets!) and then flog him for 1m plus in Jan when some Prem club needs a keeper.

Lee Grant just went to Man U for an undisclosed fee and he's 35

On 10/08/2018 at 09:01, dewsburyowl58 said:

So you don’t play Westwood because it may upset the other 2 ? have you considered the fact that they may appreciate that they aren’t quite ready yet for week in first  team action and prefer to continue to learn from a far superior in experience keeper in KW .

People keep refering to Wildsmith and Dawson as kids.  Dawson is 23 and Wildsmith will be 23 at the end of the year.  At 23 you would think they are now ready for the first team.  They are not 18 year old keepers who would still be learning and you would have a fair point.

9 hours ago, Marc_Degryse said:

As this season pretty well seems to be a write off in terms of promotion chances, why not use it as an opportunity to develop younger players?

KW may well still be the best keeper at the club, but at 33 going on 34 time is not on his side, especially with his injury record. Surely it's better to give Dawson/Wildsmith a chance, sure they might make a few more mistakes but in the long term they may work out as a better prospect than relying on a guy arguably past his best? For the record I'm a big fan of KW but time waits for no man.

You are assuming that we will not be in a relegation battle.

Is Westwood the better keeper? If the answer is yes then the rest of your post is irrelevant as you play your best players. I’m not reyt keen on paying top whack ticket prices for our highly paid best ‘keeper to sit on his arse while some younger / inexperienced cheaper ‘keeper gets the shirt and makes more errors. The young / inexperienced ‘keeper should be out on loan making the mistakes, not in our first team, a team that is already weak in the back line. 

• Thanks 1

Didn't Jos have a bit of a rep for freezing out players if he didn't like them?

Pretty sure he froze out a couple of star players at one of his club's because they turned up late for training?

Suppose you don't get the nickname "Little General" without cracking the whip every once in a while. 

Edited by SiJ

1 hour ago, Walt said:

You are assuming that we will not be in a relegation battle.

Is Westwood the better keeper? If the answer is yes then the rest of your post is irrelevant as you play your best players. I’m not reyt keen on paying top whack ticket prices for our highly paid best ‘keeper to sit on his arse while some younger / inexperienced cheaper ‘keeper gets the shirt and makes more errors. The young / inexperienced ‘keeper should be out on loan making the mistakes, not in our first team, a team that is already weak in the back line. 

Excellent point and one I could not agree more with. For me I spend a fortune following this team and it means a lot to me whether we win or not. I think we all care too much and when we lose it puts me in a bad mood. Obviously we are not going to win them all I know that. But if we lose a game that I’m paying top dollar to watch with a young inexperienced keeper whilst Westwood one of the best keepers at this level sits in the stands somewhere, then I ain’t going to be happy. 

If KW is fit then he should play. It’s not even up for debate who’s the best keeper. Now if he doesn’t play (which judging by press conference the other day he won’t), then I want answers from the people at the club.

4 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

People keep refering to Wildsmith and Dawson as kids.  Dawson is 23 and Wildsmith will be 23 at the end of the year.  At 23 you would think they are now ready for the first team.  They are not 18 year old keepers who would still be learning and you would have a fair point.

Yes I agree , just seems stupid to leave such a quality keeper out . If they were good enough wouldn’t it be obvious by now ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Yes I agree , just seems stupid to leave such a quality keeper out . If they were good enough wouldn’t it be obvious by now ? 

Jordan Pickford is only a year older 24 and is England's first choice.  Our two are only a year behind so now is the time to play. We can't keep saying they are the future and need to be going out on loan or learning off Westwood they were 18 fair enough.  In another couple of years in, in effect they will be mid twenties and into the main part of their careers.

Westwood is 33. He’s got at least 4 years left at Championship (or higher) level.

If we need to reduce wages, really should make a call on Wildsmith and Dawson, keep whoever is the better prospect and sell the other. Rather than freeze out one of the top 5 keepers in the division.

46 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Nobody believed hirst was better but potential for the future was big hence his development at England youth level and premier league clubs interest.  

So to respond to that only a moron couldn’t see he has potential.  (If he makes it or not is irrelevant he was our best prospect in years!,,  see what united have done with their young prospects compared to what we do with ours). Why even bother developing these sort of players if we think they are not worth keeping ?????

So you wanted Hirst to play in front of better players but not Dawson or Wildsmith???

Moron. 

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

Where have I put I wanted hirst to play yet? Are you a mentalist or just talking absolute testicles man?

utd tie up their prospects unTIL they have resale value they don’t argue like fizz with them and then let them leave for nothing. 

So what are you arguing about?

2 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Listen what I’m not goi g to do is spend this afternoon debating with drunks or simpletons. 

Letting ng a player like hirst go with a potential big resale value is very poor business.  Even more so seeing as though we seemingly knew we were in a position where we couldn’t sign anyone and had to move key players out. Probably another 1or two will follow Rhodes at a guess. 

If you think letting hirst go like we Did is best then you are either  among or drunk.  With that in mind see my first sentence. 

You pissed???

At what point did I say letting Hirst go was a good idea or the right thing to do?

In fairness, much as I think if we’re going to keep Westwood he should be playing, I think Dawson did well today. He’s very unfortunate with the goal, because people are going to forget all about the save of the season contender he made 2 seconds before it went in. He had a much better command of his box today than last week, he was quick off his line to gather balls in behind.