Adam Reach

7 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

There's times when Reach is playing CM when he receives the ball but doesn't seem to have the confidence to turn and go forward.

He did it yesterday when there was no-one near him and this infuriates me because he's got the talent to drive forward but seems to

take the easy option. When we've got the midfield back I'd prefer to see him play LWB with Bannan feeding him passes to run on to.

Saying that, when everything was looking bleak and we were struggling to get a team out, Reach was the one who held everything together.

He looks jaded to me at times now, but that's understandable given the amount of games he's played - definitely player of the season for me.

He didn’t look jaded when he ran the length of the field 75 minutes into the game from RB.

As you say, he is uncomfortable in CM. I would go much further and say fish out of water. Play him wide and let him stride out past defenders all afternoon. His stamina and speed over a distance are freakish. And he can cross the ball at the end of it. I’d need a sit down and an oxygen mask.

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

He didn’t look jaded when he ran the length of the field 75 minutes into the game from RB.

As you say, he is uncomfortable in CM. I would go much further and say fish out of water. Play him wide and let him stride out past defenders all afternoon. His stamina and speed over a distance are freakish. And he can cross the ball at the end of it. I’d need a sit down and an oxygen mask.

Yes, your right Holmowl, fish out of water is a better description. He's got the talent, just needs to be pointing the right way!!

1 minute ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Yes, your right Holmowl, fish out of water is a better description. He's got the talent, just needs to be pointing the right way!!

I coach an U11 and I literally have to tell my son which way to run sometimes.

Many on here would say he gets his insightful Footie knowledge from me.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stevewhiterose said:

Wing backs really need to be able to defend, as well as attack. Let's face it, Reach couldn't tackle a paper bag. If he could add that element to his game he'd make a cracking wing back.

Wasn't he left back at Middlesborough?

If we spent more time further up the field attacking he wouldn't need to defend as much.

The fiddling about passing around our penalty box doesn't help matters.

Hopefully Jos will rectify all this for next seasons promotion push!!!

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I coach an U11 and I literally have to tell my son which way to run sometimes.

Many on here would say he gets his insightful Footie knowledge from me.

I used to help run a Sunday league side many moons ago, trying to get a bunch of p!ssed up f4rts to actually run was a hopeless task!!!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, agentwalker said:

best crosser at the club with the ball moving. No messing around, just knocks the ball on and whips it in. If he was played out wide on the left Rhodes would be in dreamland sorry for duplicate 

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Duplicate

29 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Wasn't he left back at Middlesborough?

If we spent more time further up the field attacking he wouldn't need to defend as much.

The fiddling about passing around our penalty box doesn't help matters.

Hopefully Jos will rectify all this for next seasons promotion push!!!

Its probably why Boro got rid and then laughed all the way to the bank when we came sniffing.

15 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Made some great diagonal runs in behind the reading defence unfortunately Bazza was refusing to pass to him when he could have been in. 

I noticed this - same happened at the Hull match.  Bazza prefers to float a 60 yarder out to the wing which the opposition defence shuffle across to snuff out rather than a feeding Reach in a much better position

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
42 minutes ago, stevewhiterose said:

Its probably why Boro got rid and then laughed all the way to the bank when we came sniffing.

Been our most important player this year; a good player, not perfect, but who will improve IMO. We'll make a good profit on him when we do sell.

Our player of the season.

He's played 43 lots of 90 minutes this season in the league and is still tireless. 9 assists this season gives him the 7th highest in the entire league. A good Championship player despite what some still seem to insist on saying. Still think he'd be the perfect player at left wing back

I understand the desire to move Reach to wing back, never again to full back hopefully, but at the moment he provides something that nobody else seems capable of doing.

Running , workrate and energy all over the pitch despite some deficiencies on the ball

Yesterday he started basically as a “ wider “ front man in a 343 . He got forward to support Rhodes, helped Bannan and Joey in the centre and covered for the wing backs. All before he actually changed position.

When we have somebody fit or recruited to do his current role we can think of playing him at wing back where he will undoubtedly do a decent job.

15 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

it's handy if you can defend if you're playing full back. Reach has the defensive capabilities of a traffic cone.

Less so in a wing back role though.

Ideally, when squad building for next season, assuming we'll be utilising the wing back system (either 3-5-2 or 3-4-3), then you'd have a wing back more adept at defending (a natural full back) and one more adept offensively (a natural winger). That way, you'd have options to adapt the system for whatever circumstance present itself. 

Reach as a wing back, would be a wonderful option as an offensive left wing back.