Eight strikers on the Sheffield Wednesday books

The idea of reducing the number of forwards is well and good, BUT, with the players we have who have to be treat like fine China , think of how this  season has gone. We have had long-term injuries to Wallace, Fletcher, Hooper, and Matias, all at the same time! This equates to a full forward line. Where are the back-ups for when injuries do strike, as they inevitably will. Even the best of machines will have some breakdown at some time?

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

lol

But imagine our best team. 

With Fredericks on the right and Sessegnon on the left.

We would be where wolves are.

are they both on a free and willing to take low wages?,

IF not then what does the club secure them with?

IF we're to the hilt on ffp then who goes to free up the money to pay for them?

top quality wingbacks are an asset, but no more so than a great keeper, outstanding centre back, big numbers goal scorer, highly effective m/f anchor, brilliant winger, top quality m/f attacker, and on, and on.

tbf if you have the assets in other areas, all you need your defenders to do is defend well, foraging forward with wingbacks can delay an attack, it can add to the number of their players in their half who get there in the time it took our wingbacks to bring the ball forward, and jos is proving that a speedier attack on the opposition goal pays dividends over the 'drag yourself forward' approach.

steve mcclaren whilst england manager went into a win or bust game away in croatia with two wing backs, bilic pushed wide men forward and we ended up with a back 5 and the majority of the play in our half of the field, needless to say our mastermind didn't thrive, either on the night or in his tenure.

Ok what I would do if possible...

Keep Forestieri Joao Matias Hooper Nuhiu.

Get Rid. Fletcher Winnall Rhodes. 

Im not including Hirst for the obvious reason but if he was to sign a contract that would be my preference.

Reason:

I think we will keep the three at the back which gives us scope especially at home to play with 3 up top or one behind 2. Which would leave us with 2 strikers on a 7 man bench. Plus these are not adverse to injuries so again even with 2 up top we’d have cover.

Nuhiu has earned his deal. Joao is class. Forestieri is our best player. Hooper when for scores and has improved his all round game. Matias looks good and has pace when fit... the question is can he stay fit because I think Jos will get the best out of him.

Shows how poor our recruitment has been as the three we signed since season 1 Under CC are the three we want rid of.

3 minutes ago, dnhc said:

are they both on a free and willing to take low wages?,

IF not then what does the club secure them with?

IF we're to the hilt on ffp then who goes to free up the money to pay for them?

top quality wingbacks are an asset, but no more so than a great keeper, outstanding centre back, big numbers goal scorer, highly effective m/f anchor, brilliant winger, top quality m/f attacker, and on, and on.

tbf if you have the assets in other areas, all you need your defenders to do is defend well, foraging forward with wingbacks can delay an attack, it can add to the number of their players in their half who get there in the time it took our wingbacks to bring the ball forward, and jos is proving that a speedier attack on the opposition goal pays dividends over the 'drag yourself forward' approach.

steve mcclaren whilst england manager went into a win or bust game away in croatia with two wing backs, bilic pushed wide men forward and we ended up with a back 5 and the majority of the play in our half of the field, needless to say our mastermind didn't thrive, either on the night or in his tenure.

That was why I said imagine.

Sessegnon would cost more than our whole team.

lol

But your right it does take more than wingbacks. But alot of the other assets you mentioned already exist at this club.

With the left wing back slot though.

Give it to Reachy till the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Ok what I would do if possible...

Keep Forestieri Joao Matias Hooper Nuhiu.

Get Rid. Fletcher Winnall Rhodes. 

Im not including Hirst for the obvious reason but if he was to sign a contract that would be my preference.

Reason:

I think we will keep the three at the back which gives us scope especially at home to play with 3 up top or one behind 2. Which would leave us with 2 strikers on a 7 man bench. Plus these are not adverse to injuries so again even with 2 up top we’d have cover.

Nuhiu has earned his deal. Joao is class. Forestieri is our best player. Hooper when for scores and has improved his all round game. Matias looks good and has pace when fit... the question is can he stay fit because I think Jos will get the best out of him.

Shows how poor our recruitment has been as the three we signed since season 1 Under CC are the three we want rid of.

how are you going to get rid of fletcher? i bet the phone is being rung of the desk at s6 with clubs wanting an injured forward who's pulled no trees up, and on £40kpWEEK.

are we to take above a 50% haircut on rhodes value too? and how much is he on weekly?

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

That was why I said imagine.

Sessegnon would cost more than our whole team.

lol

But your right it does take more than wingbacks. But alot of the other assets you mentioned already exist at this club.

With the left wing back slot though.

Give it to Reachy till the end of the season.

for me reach doesn't fill the 'BACK' bit of wingback too well, that's why i want our defenders primarily capable in defence, and not foraging forward.

a capable fullback is able to play to the half way line, much beyond is territory of the m/f and attack in my mind, i don't want to see our f/b's overlapping the wingman, or they're leaving space behind for an opposition counter, and to cover that you have to use men from the centre which creates another danger.

our wingman should be capable of beating his opponent and getting a cross in, without the f/b overlapping him, if he can't then lay it inside for bannan to put it in there as he did for joao the other day.

Matias doesn’t really count though does. Nearly 3 years on and I’m still undecided about him because I’ve not seen enough of him... get rid. Waste of a wage, along with Abdi and unfortunately Hutch. Really want them to come good but we need to have players we can actually rely on next season. 

I’m quite looking forward to Winnall coming back unless we get a good offer. A few quality additions and we could be in for a very interesting season.

UTO FTB

FLETCHER

Contribution doesn't justify/reflect wage and, at 31yrs old, unlikely to improve.

RHODES  

As above, but at 28 would love him to rediscover the form of his younger years and prove me wrong.

Not overly confident though.

WINNALL 

Doesn't want to be here apparently, so sell to highest bidder.

MATIAS 

Never fit.

Sell to medical research centre.

Of course, as someone has already pointed out, it's never as straightforward as we'd like it to be.

However, nothing wrong with a bit of positive thinking, imo.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 07.32.57.jpg

We have eight first team strikers currently at the club (9 if you included the mighty George Hirst)

Definitely keep FF and Joao; then keep a further 2 others from the 6.

Edited by zzmdu

3 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

To be fair on jos, if he can get joao and nuhiu to look half decent god only knows what he could do with rhodes and winnall after a proper pre season and training regime...

just a thought......

TRUE, and it's just as well as due to ffp we look to have lil' room for manoeuvre.

if nuhiu is to be retained the salary has to be found, if we get the whole squad fit, and get the ball to the attack quicker, then no one really knows what it is capable of.

we've just been through 2 years of 'tactic not working? need new player' when what we really needed was new tactics and less players.

6 minutes ago, dnhc said:

TRUE, and it's just as well as due to ffp we look to have lil' room for manoeuvre.

if nuhiu is to be retained the salary has to be found, if we get the whole squad fit, and get the ball to the attack quicker, then no one really knows what it is capable of.

we've just been through 2 years of 'tactic not working? need new player' when what we really needed was new tactics and less players.

yep...with you there pal, beginning of next season could be very interesting....

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Strikers this year 42 goals.

Strikers last year 34 goals. 

And the way our our strikers are currently banging them in that could stretch to 50 this year.

Clearly our goal scoring issues are elsewhere on the field. 

FF 12

Fletch 10

Hooper 6

Rhodes 3

Winnall 3

Hooper 11

Nuhiu 10 (yes, ten)

Joao 9

Rhodes 6

Fletcher 3

Forestieri 1

Winnall 1

Matias 1

Yep, strikers and goalkeepers are the areas of the pitch we don't need any investment in this summer. Keep 5 of the 8 in the OP and try and recoup some money in terms of fees or wages on 3 of them. 

Our priorities have to be elsewhere, full-backs, a commanding centre-back and midfield ball winner and midfield pace/goal threat.

Edited by Guest

When you look at who we can REALISTICALLY move on I would go with the following:

Fletcher

Forestieri

Hooper

Nuhiu

Joao

Matias

I would try to move on Rhodes and Winnall.

Firstly I would say that I see Forestieri more as a number 10 to sit just behind the 2 strikers and Matias more as cover for that role.

I think it's important to have variety and I think the ones I have listed give us a decent mix of pace, strength, Arial ability, creativity and finishing ability. I do rate both Rhodes and Winnall but I think we already have enough strikers at the club and both these 2 could be moved out to help with FFP.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, strikers and goalkeepers are the areas of the pitch we don't need any investment in this summer. Keep 5 of the 8 in the OP and try and recoup some money in terms of fees or wages on 3 of them. 

Our priorities have to be elsewhere, full-backs, a commanding centre-back and midfield ball winner and midfield pace/goal threat.

i think we have found a ball winner in Pelupessy. I think our main target area this post season has to be a new LB/LWB. Someone who can offer constant pacey threat down the left hand side.

37 minutes ago, dnhc said:

for me reach doesn't fill the 'BACK' bit of wingback too well, that's why i want our defenders primarily capable in defence, and not foraging forward.

a capable fullback is able to play to the half way line, much beyond is territory of the m/f and attack in my mind, i don't want to see our f/b's overlapping the wingman, or they're leaving space behind for an opposition counter, and to cover that you have to use men from the centre which creates another danger.

our wingman should be capable of beating his opponent and getting a cross in, without the f/b overlapping him, if he can't then lay it inside for bannan to put it in there as he did for joao the other day.

With a holding midfielder and 3 at the back it wouldn't be to much of a concern and Reach could just concentrate on getting on the ball wide knowing he has the extra defensive cover.

Get Rid (asap on loan or sell for whatever we can get, just save their combined  wages of £100K pw min)...... Rhodes' Fletcher, Matias and Winnall

Keep/re-sign Forestieri,Nuhiu, Joao and Hooper.

PLUS sign an ambitious younger gun from lower leagues who is hungry for success and banged in goals for existing club on a very regular basis.(£500K - £1m). As back up in case of injuries Reach can play up front and we can use loan market ourselves) There are other priorities in getting speed down the sides, left back and a "physical presence" in midfield (Hutch just cannot be relied upon to play enough games.)