1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm in 2 minds about this.  The only thing Wednesday shaped Joao managed to hit today was the back of the net for his goal.  Every other pass he made was woeful.

But he's done well over the last couple of months.  It all comes down to how much he's asking really.  My real doubt with him is that he can be that player who scores 20 goals across a full season.

How about the assist for Nuhiu's goal. Not trying to be pedantic- I agree his general play wasn't on the money today, but just pointing out the contribution he managed to make even when supposedly underperforming.

I'm a firm believer that players with flashes of brilliance in the Championship are worth their weight in gold and will help you pick up more.points throughout the course of a season than a 'steady Eddie' 7/10 performer.

Not everything they try will come off, so they'll inevitably be labelled sloppy/inconsistent but I'd much rather see a player like that in the final third than a player who'll always play the percentage pass.

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Terribly mismanaged by Carlos imo. Never played to his strengths and often wouldn't play him even when he'd performed well the week before. 

Confidence was shot to pieces.

This.  Thankfully Carlos mismanagement of Joao  is being reversed.

It is not rocket science is it .

It might only be because of injuries to others but when Atty and Joao have been given the opportunity to regularly start games they have vastly improved and cause big problems for the opposition. You don’t get match fit , confident and sharp playing 20 mins every other week 

To put it simply if Fletcher and Hooper had been given the same amount of game under Carlos as these two they would have looked poor as well.

It is also unfair to produce stats for players which include sub appearances in goals per minute.

How many times has Atty been brought on for the last 20 mins to stand on the halfway line on his own while we camp in our half defending a 1-0 lead.

As for Joao, I moan at him more than most but he has all the ability required to be a top, modern day striker. Just depends whether he has the mentality.

Only just got back so not heard anything Jos said but did he say anything about the apparent injury Joao picked up today 

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It is not rocket science is it .

It might only be because of injuries to others but when Atty and Joao have been given the opportunity to regularly start games they have vastly improved and cause big problems for the opposition. You don’t get match fit , confident and sharp playing 20 mins every other week 

To put it simply if Fletcher and Hooper had been given the same amount of game under Carlos as these two they would have looked poor as well.

It is also unfair to produce stats for players which include sub appearances in goals per minute.

How many times has Atty been brought on for the last 20 mins to stand on the halfway line on his own while we camp in our half defending a 1-0 lead.

Not many times since Jos arrived.

4 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

We need to keep hold of this lad big time, he's a complete forward, can do absolutely everything. You don't get capped by Portugal at a young age if you're a mug. I can see some Premier League interest coming in during the summer, still only 24....

Extend his contract.

Nuhiu too... or however you spell it... 

He needs to show consistency now that’s all, we’ve all seen what he can do in spells but been a ‘complete’ striker is all about doing it on a consistent basis 

4 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

You say he's got everything has he really ?

His second touch is usually a tackle its abysmal 

He's a talent definitely and is in terrific form but reign it in a bit fella 

Technically he is superb.

Edited by s6 owl

Agree with the OP.

Frustrating as f**k though how many times I've read people say they've changed their opinion on a player having passed judgement too soon. Several lessons this season alone, in fact, our only real success this season has been the emergence of Reach, Joao, Nuhiu and potentially Pelupessy. Not every signing works out but everyone deserves a reasonable crack at it before the doubters jump all over them. 

Edited by Morepork

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I'm a firm believer that players with flashes of brilliance in the Championship are worth their weight in gold and will help you pick up more.points throughout the course of a season than a 'steady Eddie' 7/10 performer.

Absolutely - which is why enigmatic forwards often fetch big bucks too in the transfer market. Every club in the world wants a reliable, consistent scorer but there aren’t enough to go round. Having a talented but inconsistent one is the best most can hope for. We have one, and if we are to lose him make it for good money.

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm in 2 minds about this.  The only thing Wednesday shaped Joao managed to hit today was the back of the net for his goal.  Every other pass he made was woeful.

But he's done well over the last couple of months.  It all comes down to how much he's asking really.  My real doubt with him is that he can be that player who scores 20 goals across a full season.

1 hour ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Anyone who was at the game to day could see why he is playing for us.

raw talent and power but gave the ball away or made the wrong decision loads of times.

he is, however, getting the goals.

Far from his best today but contributed a goal and an assist in an away win, that'll do for me.

5 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Sorry but as usual our fans are fickle. Can people not be realistic? 

The facts are, he is extremely talented but in his 3 years here so far he's only shown this in two fairly short spells in year 1 and now in year 3. I believe he is a good player no doubt. But he's also shown he's completely useless at times. So, what do you do? He's probably not going to make it much higher than this level unless he can be doing it in 35+ games a season and not just 10 games. To be fair it's probably the same for many strikers at this level. 

Surely it’s all about confidence. Great Managers get the best out of their players. Carlos was a complete inadequate in this respect, and Jaoa was a casualty.  Now he has a capable Manager working  with him, he should get better and better. This lad has serious talent IMO. 

6 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

We need to keep hold of this lad big time, he's a complete forward, can do absolutely everything. You don't get capped by Portugal at a young age if you're a mug. I can see some Premier League interest coming in during the summer, still only 24....

Extend his contract.

It seems strange ( or does it) that things are drastically changing since Jos took over. Notice I steered away from saying when CC left 

5 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I disagree I think he's got an excellent first touch and how quick he can move his feet for a big lad is amazing. I've always claimed him to be our most complete forward and glad he's starting to live up to it.

Well claim it all you want i believe what i see with my own eyes 

If you could combine Attys 1st touch and ability to hold the ball with Joaos pace and power and eye for goal you might have that complete Forward 

Neither player as brilliantly as they have grabbed their chance are as good as Gary Hooper but of course Joao has relative youth on his side and is undoubtedly flourishing under Jos and long may it continue just dont whack unrealistic, imo, claims on his back