Player rating from today

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

Because he has zero quality - plain and simple.

Maybe but he’s still 100 times better than Liam ‘he’s one of our own’ Palmer!

Just now, Kagoshimaowl said:

Maybe but he’s still 100 times better than Liam ‘he’s one of our own’ Palmer!

He isn't - they are both poor and right back has been a position we have been poor in for 3 years now and have done nothing to sort out. With Pudil's decline we are now in the same position at left back too unfortunately, yet we try and play with wing backs - work that one out...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Really?  Reach was awful today.  Stop rating on the talent of the players and rate on what actually happened.  Pelupessy was better than Reach today!

I don’t think Reach had a great game at all but thought many others played poorer especially Pelupessy who including yesterday has looked awful in almost every game. 

Wildsmith - 7 - Really smart save from Buckley's header in the 1st half, and did well do deal with Ameobi's shot in the 2nd half. His kicking was awful again though. It's getting worse.

Venancio - 6- On the whole, I thought he had a really positive game. Was arguably our most creative player in the 1st half, setting up a number of attacks with positive balls forward. However, he does lose the ball too often (which is, in a way, expected, if you attempt a lot of "risky" passes), and it was his slip at the back post which allowed Wilbraham a free header. He needs to cut out the elementary mistakes to be become a good defender.

Lees - 7 - Good to see the Lees of old back. Steadied the defence for much of the game, and covered the outer centre halves well. Dominated, as he should have, Le Fondre for much of the game. Hopefully more of the same in weeks to come.

Pudil - 7 - Another typical, gutsy performance from Pudil. Relishes the role he's playing, and never shirks a battle or tackle. Was a good probing option on a number of occasions, bringing the ball out from the back.

Hunt - 6 - Decent 1st half, less effective in the 2nd half. Found a load of space time and time again in the 1st half, but his final delivery (or shot) wasn't good enough. Still a much, much, much better option than Palmer.

Boyd - 5 - He was pretty dreadful for the most part. Looks uncomfortable on the ball, devoid of any confidence and just looks generally lost. However, as the game wore on, got himself into good positions breaking down the left...firstly for the overlap for Joao's wonderful backheel, and then for the goal...which he finished very well. Not convinced that this is the role for him however.

Pelupessy - 5 - I've been a critic of his, and he wasn't great yesterday by any means. He's a million miles away from what he need, especially on the ball. He's very little composure, his range of passing is limited and he makes too many bad decisions. Defensively, he did alright...when Bolton were on top, he went missing, which isn't what you want from your defensive screen, but as we were on top, he does anticipate well, and intercepts a number of balls.

Reach - 6 - It wasn't his day yesterday. He didn't use the ball well enough, considering he's our key player at present. That said, he tries to drive the team forward, and did create a couple of decent chances, both for Nuhiu. We're asking a lot of him currently, and although it's difficult to fault him, because he's not hitting top form, we're suffering as a side.

Clare - 5 - Worked hard, drives forward well from midfield, but didn't really get involved enough to effect things. Kept things neat and tidy, without standing out.

Nuhiu - 6 - Thought he had a very good first half, but a fairly poor 2nd half. Don't know whether it was tiredness or not, but his ability to trouble Burke really dropped off. In the 1st half, he gave Burke (and Beevers) a lot of issues, was a good foil for Joao. Was unlucky not to score in the 1st half after some neat work, and probably should've hit the target at the very least, with the header prior to his substitution.

Joao - 8 - Man of the Match - Another really impressive display. He's dragging the team along at the minute. Without him, we'd be a forlorn outfit. He offers us some invention, some excitement, and more importantly, some goal threat. Playing with confidence, and it's great to see. If one positive thing can come out of this horrible season, let it be, that it's allowed Joao to mature and hopefully begin to fulfil the huge potential he's got. Utterly brilliant play to set up Boyd on two occasions in the second half.

Overall...it was another expected display. You cannot fault the effort and application of the players. They are giving their all, and that's why the claims Luhukay cannot motivate them are ridiculous. They are playing for him...it's just, we aren't good enough. These players aren't suddenly going to become superstars overnight...it's going to be a turgid watch til the end of the season. I'm not sure why fans are so surprised by this. We are devoid of any confidence. In the 1st half, I lost count how many times we made fundamentally poor decisions...decision, which if made when playing with confidence, would be 2nd nature. It's difficult to watch, but it isn't going to change overnight. We need to start to grind results out and slowly build it back up.

Until we get Bannan (especially), Hutchinson and Hooper back into the team, we have to keep ourselves in games, and rely on the likes of Joao and Reach to create things.

It's all well and good saying Bolton are poor, Ipswich were woeful. They are, they were. But so are we. The fact we finished fourth last season or we expected promotion this season, has no relevance to the current situation we are faced with. We need to get through to the end of the season, with our Championship status intact. Which I think we'll do (comfortably). After the international break, I think we'll start to see a much better product on the pitch.

Edited by frastheowl
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 7 - Really smart save from Buckley's header in the 1st half, and did well do deal with Ameobi's shot in the 2nd half. His kicking was awful again though. It's getting worse.

Venancio - 6- On the whole, I thought he had a really positive game. Was arguably our most creative player in the 1st half, setting up a number of attacks with positive balls forward. However, he does lose the ball too often (which is, in a way, expected, if you attempt a lot of "risky" passes), and it was his slip at the back post which allowed Wilbraham a free header. He needs to cut out the elementary mistakes to be become a good defender.

Lees - 7 - Good to see the Lees of old back. Steadied the defence for much of the game, and covered the outer centre halves well. Dominated, as he should have, Le Fondre for much of the game. Hopefully more of the same in weeks to come.

Pudil - 7 - Another typical, gutsy performance from Pudil. Relishes the role he's playing, and never shirks a battle or tackle. Was a good probing option on a number of occasions, bringing the ball out from the back.

Hunt - 6 - Decent 1st half, less effective in the 2nd half. Found a load of space time and time again in the 1st half, but his final delivery (or shot) wasn't good enough. Still a much, much, much better option than Palmer.

Boyd - 5 - He was pretty dreadful for the most part. Looks uncomfortable on the ball, devoid of any confidence and just looks generally lost. However, as the game wore on, got himself into good positions breaking down the left...firstly for the overlap for Joao's wonderful backheel, and then for the goal...which he finished very well. Not convinced that this is the role for him however.

Pelupessy - 5 - I've been a critic of his, and he wasn't great yesterday by any means. He's a million miles away from what he need, especially on the ball. He's very little composure, his range of passing is limited and he makes too many bad decisions. Defensively, he did alright...when Bolton were on top, he went missing, which isn't what you want from your defensive screen, but as we were on top, he does anticipate well, and intercepts a number of balls.

Reach - 6 - It wasn't his day yesterday. He didn't use the ball well enough, considering he's our key player at present. That said, he tries to drive the team forward, and did create a couple of decent chances, both for Nuhiu. We're asking a lot of him currently, and although it's difficult to fault him, because he's not hitting top form, we're suffering as a side.

Clare - 5 - Worked hard, drives forward well from midfield, but didn't really get involved enough to effect things. Kept things neat and tidy, without standing out.

Nuhiu - 6 - Thought he had a very good first half, but a fairly poor 2nd half. Don't know whether it was tiredness or not, but his ability to trouble Burke really dropped off. In the 1st half, he gave Burke (and Beevers) a lot of issues, was a good foil for Joao. Was unlucky not to score in the 1st half after some neat work, and probably should've hit the target at the very least, with the header prior to his substitution.

Joao - 8 - Man of the Match - Another really impressive display. He's dragging the team along at the minute. Without him, we'd be a forlorn outfit. He offers us some invention, some excitement, and more importantly, some goal threat. Playing with confidence, and it's great to see. If one positive thing can come out of this horrible season, let it be, that it's allowed Joao to mature and hopefully begin to fulfil the huge potential he's got. Utterly brilliant play to set up Boyd on two occasions in the second half.

Overall...it was another expected display. You cannot fault the effort and application of the players. They are giving their all, and that's why the claims Luhukay cannot motivate them are ridiculous. They are playing for him...it's just, we aren't good enough. These players aren't suddenly going to become superstars overnight...it's going to be a turgid watch til the end of the season. I'm not sure why fans are so surprised by this. We are devoid of any confidence. In the 1st half, I lost count how many times we made fundamentally poor decisions...decision, which if made when playing with confidence, would be 2nd nature. It's difficult to watch, but it isn't going to change overnight. We need to start to grind results out and slowly build it back up.

Until we get Bannan (especially), Hutchinson and Hooper back into the team, we have to keep ourselves in games, and rely on the likes of Joao and Reach to create things.

It's all well and good saying Bolton are poor, Ipswich were woeful. They are, they were. But so are we. The fact we finished fourth last season or we expected promotion this season, has no relevance to the current situation we are faced with. We need to get through to the end of the season, with our Championship status intact. Which I think we'll do (comfortably). After the international break, I think we'll start to see a much better product on the pitch.

Good analysis - enjoyed reading that. 

7 hours ago, roundhayowl said:

He isn't - they are both poor and right back has been a position we have been poor in for 3 years now and have done nothing to sort out. With Pudil's decline we are now in the same position at left back too unfortunately, yet we try and play with wing backs - work that one out...

We haven’t had a good full back in the club for far too long - another area overlooked by the previous regime 

Pudil is the only one who has anything like enough quality out of our options 

Hunt, Fox, Palmer are way off the standard required 

What annoys me the most is that none of them seem to improve one bit, if anything they get worse!!

11 minutes ago, torres said:

We haven’t had a good full back in the club for far too long - another area overlooked by the previous regime 

Pudil is the only one who has anything like enough quality out of our options 

Hunt, Fox, Palmer are way off the standard required 

What annoys me the most is that none of them seem to improve one bit, if anything they get worse!!

Hunt is shocking

He’s weak, crap in air, commits himself time after time, can’t cut crosses out and his final ball... WOW!

The one yesterday when he’s on the edge of the 6 yard box and misses the target 

16 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Hunt is shocking

He’s weak, crap in air, commits himself time after time, can’t cut crosses out and his final ball... WOW!

The one yesterday when he’s on the edge of the 6 yard box and misses the target 

Couldn’t agree more.

Being athletic is his only positive attribute in my opinion 

Wildsmith 6,  Did what he had to do.

Hunt 6, Got to play in front of Palmer even if only 1% fit! Wasted some good positions first half.

Venancio 5, Struggled a bit lately for me

Lees 7, MOM.

Pudil 7, Playing well and hopefully stays fit.

Boyd 5, Looks lost but took his goal well. I'd swap him with Reach

Reach 5, Not a CM needs moving onto the left. Hopefully when Bannans back he will be.

Pelupessy 6, Probably his best game for us so what does that say about him so far?

Clare 5, Not involved in much but got a good engine so covered the full backs a few times.

Nuhiu 4, Always tries but so would I and I'd fancy myself to have put that header away like Wilbraham did theirs! Let Beevers bully him...Beevers ffs.

Joao 6, Quiet but only spark we have.

Personally I think they played like a team shot of confidence and with plenty of fear. Bolton , like Ipswich, like Hull, Birmingham, Burton, QPR, Sunderland were there for the taking, looked distinctly average , yet we had no-one to really go for the jugular. I wouldn't say they played without passion or fight, just lacked confidence.

1 hour ago, dani_armo said:

Wildsmith 6,  Did what he had to do.

Hunt 6, Got to play in front of Palmer even if only 1% fit! Wasted some good positions first half.

Venancio 5, Struggled a bit lately for me

Lees 7, MOM.

Pudil 7, Playing well and hopefully stays fit.

Boyd 5, Looks lost but took his goal well. I'd swap him with Reach

Reach 5, Not a CM needs moving onto the left. Hopefully when Bannans back he will be.

Pelupessy 6, Probably his best game for us so what does that say about him so far?

Clare 5, Not involved in much but got a good engine so covered the full backs a few times.

Nuhiu 4, Always tries but so would I and I'd fancy myself to have put that header away like Wilbraham did theirs! Let Beevers bully him...Beevers ffs.

Joao 6, Quiet but only spark we have.

about right bud,not sure about Pelupessy,think he is average at best as for Nuhui enthusiastic but that's all very,very limited

Wildsmith  -   8    Some cracking saves but poor distribution

Hunt  -  5   Worked hard as always but wasateful in posession

Venancio   -  5    I,ve seen him about a dozen times now and my verdict is we should NOT make his loan move permanent........bang average at best

Lees  -   8   Great to see him back to his old self........will be sorely needed over the coming weeks

Pudil   -   6   Did OK

Boyd   -   4   gets an extra point for goal but one paced and meh throughout...............how in heaven was he playing regularly in premier league ?

Clare   -   5   At least he tries to drive at the opposition and commit players but very quiet today

Pelupessy   -   4   If he is a marker for JL,s talent spotting then it should be the last player he signs for us

Reach   -   5   Looks shot at the moment 

Nuhiu   -   4   Sorry Dave fans but I just cringe watching him stumble and lope around , ducking out of headers etc

Joao    -   6   Quiet but one of the few shining lights at the moment, god help us if he gets injured

OVERALL

Awful, awful game................spent 90 mins in misery just wondering how it could all become SO $hite in the space of 18 months.......and all overseen by our Ned Flanders lookalike who has the air of a man waiting for a train that is two hours late.

7 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Can’t really argue with this. We’re not getting results because most of the players aren’t very good. We get outplayed and out fought even by teams at the bottom. Yesterday we barely won a second ball not for lack of effort but because the players don’t anticipate and are slower to the ball.  Many of the players can’t pass or control and other than Jaoa and Clare we have no pace. You’d probably keep Jaoa, Reach, Tom Lees and Joe. Clare has some energy and is certainly one for the future but defensively he loses his man and has to learn from this runnin the team. I like Jack Hunt and he’s improved but he gets beat too often when it matters.  We’ll get over the line with a couple of results but i’d feel a lot better if we could bring some of the footballers back soon. 

TBF to Reach, he must be bolluxt and disillusioned, as appears to be only one with ideas and drive week after week, along with Joao.

Surprised at Clare's performance yesterday, just appeared lack lustre and out of ideas.

Joao needs some quality support.

There just appears to be a general lack of confidence and the worrying thing for me, it seems to be becoming the norm.

BUT

I'm confident all will change as the likes of Hutch, Bannon, Nando etc. return.

Until then we have to suck it up I'm afraid and keep smiling and no talk of relegation, as those below us are our salvation.

14 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Wildsmith  -   8    Some cracking saves but poor distribution

Hunt  -  5   Worked hard as always but wasateful in posession

Venancio   -  5    I,ve seen him about a dozen times now and my verdict is we should NOT make his loan move permanent........bang average at best

Lees  -   8   Great to see him back to his old self........will be sorely needed over the coming weeks

Pudil   -   6   Did OK

Boyd   -   4   gets an extra point for goal but one paced and meh throughout...............how in heaven was he playing regularly in premier league ?

Clare   -   5   At least he tries to drive at the opposition and commit players but very quiet today

Pelupessy   -   4   If he is a marker for JL,s talent spotting then it should be the last player he signs for us

Reach   -   5   Looks shot at the moment 

Nuhiu   -   4   Sorry Dave fans but I just cringe watching him stumble and lope around , ducking out of headers etc

Joao    -   6   Quiet but one of the few shining lights at the moment, god help us if he gets injured

OVERALL

Awful, awful game................spent 90 mins in misery just wondering how it could all become SO $hite in the space of 18 months.......and all overseen by our Ned Flanders lookalike who has the air of a man waiting for a train that is two hours late.

all very true,especially your final comments,we are dire and will take more than a few players coming back to rectify it

Wildsmith 7 Made some decent saves, especially the one from the header.

Hunt 6 Worked hard, got up and down well. Sadly his final ball and composure in a shooting position let him down.

Venanccio 6 Solid

Lees 7 Like the Lees we know. Solid, composed, even looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, which isn't always the case.

Pudil 6 See Vannacio

Boyd - 5 Pretty ineffective. The two runs forward he did make he flashed that cross across the face of the six yard box, and then scored. Yet for whatever reason he doesn't seem to want to get forward, nor does he seem to want the ball.

Clare 5 Never in the game

Pelupessy 6 Defensively he did alright. Offers nothing on the ball, apart from 3 yard passes, hasn't convinced me so far.

Reach 5 Nothing he did came off. Although the run and cross in the second half showed why he's wasted in the middle.

Nuhiu 6 Made a nuisance of himself, looked to tire badly though.

Joao 7 Thought he struggled to find space at times. Two fantastic contributions though, the back heel for Boyd's cross, and obvious the assist for the goal.