This press conference has got me very angry

2 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

C'mon Neil. You were backing him to the hilt and castigating people for having a pop at him. I'm sure that I could trawl up numerous threads from Nov / Dec last year where you were angry at people for having a go at him. I'm not saying that you weren't right to do it , but do it you did.

You said I only changed my mind after he was fired/left - untrue and simply made up.

I don't mind you saying I backed Carlos to the hilt because I did

I was as convinced (and as mugged off) as any other Carlos fan was

But it's wrong of you to say that I only changed my mind after he left because that's factually incorrect

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is true. Nobody can dispute that Huddersfield were fitter than us but they didn't win on penalties because of that, we didn't fail to beat them mainly due to their superior fitness. 

We failed to beat them because at the start of the 180 minutes contest that then turned into 210 minutes, our manager set out with the intention of winning 1-0 over the course of 2 games and it didn't work.

Yep, and something he continued to do this season, with similar results Extra fitness would have helped, but it was the negative tactics that were his undoing

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You said I only changed my mind after he was fired/left - untrue and simply made up

If you are offended by anything that I have written, then I apologise sincerely. But help me here ; and I'm not being confrontational , but when did you change your mind then. I'm a regular reader as you well know , but it only became apparent that you had changed somewhat around Xmas time. 

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nobody is disputing the fitness levels weren’t what they should be The Huddersfield home game was more of a tactical wee wee tail up Lets not forget, those same unfit players went on that winning run that got us into the play offs in the first place

Again, it’s true that Carlos ignored the claim of the younger players, trusting those who had done it before My point is, any top football club is a major business, and not a one man operation like in the old days Of course there will have been dialogue between the fitness and medical teams

I don’t understand what you are trying to justify.

Carlos was the man in charge of a squad of players than were not fit enough. It was his job to make sure they were fit enough.

Carlos selected players who were injured. Some like Lee were seriously injured , yet he still played them. 

The evidence is overwhelming.

Carlos created a mess and moved on when he realised he had more chance of picking up a fat bonus for keeping Swansea up than getting us promoted.

Yet you choose to have a go at a man who has been here 10 mins working with less than half a squad 

Just now, cognacbarnowl said:

If you are offended by anything that I have written, then I apologise sincerely. But help me here ; and I'm not being confrontational , but when did you change your mind then. I'm a regular reader as you well know , but it only became apparent that you had changed somewhat around Xmas time. 

I'm not offended (I never get offended) so no harm done

I didn't only change my mind after carlos left though mate - not at all

Was before then as I was saying about how things weren't right, training wasn't right, injuries weren't right etc before he left

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not offended (I never get offended) so no harm done

I didn't only change my mind after carlos left though mate - not at all

Was before then as I was saying about how things weren't right, training wasn't right, injuries weren't right etc before he left

OK. Cheers :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is true. Nobody can dispute that Huddersfield were fitter than us but they didn't win on penalties because of that, we didn't fail to beat them mainly due to their superior fitness. 

We failed to beat them because at the start of the 180 minutes contest that then turned into 210 minutes, our manager set out with the intention of winning 1-0 over the course of 2 games and it didn't work.

Why do you think he played that way. 

Because he knew the players were not fit enough to take the game to Huddersfield. We didn’t have the legs or energy to get out of our own half so he chose to defend at all costs and try and nick it. 

To be fair to him it probably got us a lot closer to winning than any alternative approach as we would have been beaten easily if we had taken them on

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Why do you think he played that way. 

Because he knew the players were not fit enough to take the game to Huddersfield. We didn’t have the legs or energy to get out of our own half so he chose to defend at all costs and try and nick it. 

To be fair to him it probably got us a lot closer to winning than any alternative approach as we would have been beaten easily if we had taken them on

No way. We didn't even try to score in the first leg. We didn't play without energy in the 6 straight wins going into the Fulham game and then we rested our entire team. He got the tactics wrong.

IMO theres something very wrong at the club,

JL has been left with a bunch of over paid, unfit, unmotivated players.

14 Injured 1st players makes the fitness/medical staff look totally inept and listening to that press conference makes me think even the "fit" players are not fit.

I like 99% of us had never heard of Jos Luhukay until he came here but his remit is clear, keep us in the Championship this year and then get together a fit strong squad and aim for the top six next year.

This season should be wrote off and used for assessment purposes only.

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Carlos was the man in charge of a squad of players than were not fit enough. It was his job to make sure they were fit enough.

Carlos selected players who were injured. Some like Lee were seriously injured , yet he still played them. 

Carlos created a mess and moved on when he realised he had more chance of picking up a fat bonus for keeping Swansea up than getting us promoted.

Yet you choose to have a go at a man who has been here 10 mins working with less than half a squad 

I am not justifying anything There is no disputing that we were not the fittest side, anybody who watched us could see that 

Was Carlos to blame for that, maybe, but he might argue that he got that unfit side to two championship play offs

You say Carlos brought players back from injury too soon Did he, I can’t remember too many rapid returns from those out with injury In fact, quite the opposite, players would often pick up a knock, and seemingly disappear into a black hole

There’s no point in playing the blame game, Carlos has gone and it’s a new man in charge Let’s see what he can do

34 minutes ago, slow83 said:

Carlos announced around November time that Jordan Rhodes was now finally in the ‘dynamic’ and doing what Carlos had been trying to get him to do since he signed .....that was to stop chasing the ball.

It sent shivers down my spine. He said Jordan ran too much before.

This lack of tempo, stand off football was a problem for the last 18 months, it was Carlos’ plan and it was totally intentional. It was also an absolute disaster for the long term future of this squad.

Thanks Carlos

Wtf was the dynamic anyway?

He always used that chuffing word 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You're forgetting the injuries we suffered in that game.

41 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Carlos, like any other manager, could only pick players who have been declared fit by the medical team. It's an Owlstalk myth that he selected injured players.

Before anyone disagrees with this (again) then listen to Mourinho's press conference today - it's quite clear from that the medical team tell him who is fit.

This thread is contributing to the general hysteria surrounding SWFC and the need to make every strained ligament and ingrowing toenail the responsibility of Carlos is batty. Wot next? "Bird flu traced to Portuguese manager?"

Jos comes across sensibly and purposeful in this interview.  I absolutely love the way he is talking about the youngsters including G Hirst. He clearly has his ways and expects a certain level of fitness which he has not found among those without injuries which is leading to an attitude to squad rotation that Qualcast would be proud of. 

Personally I am not fully convinced - but all of us want him to get it right even if that means tagging players with Fitbits and GPS - it worked  for Jamie Vardy - maybe our lot will get quicker too.  

10 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Carlos, like any other manager, could only pick players who have been declared fit by the medical team. It's an Owlstalk myth that he selected injured players.

Before anyone disagrees with this (again) then listen to Mourinho's press conference today - it's quite clear from that the medical team tell him who is fit.

Not disagreeing with that you say but Who's this Mourinho at our club, and if he is part of the old backroom why did he not move with the rest of them, or are you

talking about what is happening at a premiership side?

If so what has that got to do with us.

Edited by daleblue