This press conference has got me very angry

None of this adds up Injuries are often linked to fitness, but not always Was Thornley getting smashed in the face due to his lack of fitness? We have had horrendous luck with injuries, there’s no doubting that Also, it’s clear to see that we are not the fittest side in the league, and Jos wanting to improve that situation, is admirable On closer inspection, the lack of fitness doesn’t seem to have effected the U23s, or even the U18s

It probably has more to do with the clubs policy of bringing in older, past their sell by date, players Many of those players have been carrying injuries before they joined us Older players are more prone to injury, and generally take more time to recover

Edited by gurujuan

8 hours ago, bradowl said:

I said something similar when we drew with Cardiff away earlier in season, we were in total control for 75 mins then suddenly ran out of gas, players not fit enough for 90 mins football.... Criminal 

Fitness and football training costs nothing. Even if DC is not a football person, surely he could see the last pre-season was woefully inadequate. Results that followed proved it. Sure if most of us were overseeing that shower, we would have pulled CC in to say, buck your ideas up as you don’t seem to be on top of things. 

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think its quite clear now that Calos was negligent towards players fitness during his time here.

2 things I still don't understand.

1. Was the fitness conditioning and training the same as his first season when it didn't seem a problem.

2. Why didn't the senior players and other coaching staff do anything at all about in not being fit enough. They have to accept some of the blame too.

In Carlos first season the players were still well conditioned by Stuart Gray and having a small squad were probably one of the fittest teams in the division when Carlos took over, especially with all that Alamo'esq defending we'd come accustomed to. 

Just now, gurujuan said:

None of this adds up Injuries are often linked to fitness, but not always Was Thornley getting smashed in the face due to his lack of fitness? We have had horrendous luck with injuries, there’s no doubting that Also, it’s clear to see that we are not the fittest side in the league, and Jos wanting to improve that situation, is admirable On closer inspection, the lack of fitness doesn’t seem to have effected the U23s, or even the U18s

It probably has more to do with the clubs policy of bringing in older, past their sell by date, players Many of those players have been carry injuries before they joined us Older players are more prone to injury, and generally take more time to recover

I need to update the excuse chart

You've posted (in your last load of posts on this subject) blame for literally anything and everything except that it might be the result of Carlos Carvalhal

Bizarre

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I need to update the excuse chart

You've posted (in your last load of posts on this subject) blame for literally anything and everything except that it might be the result of Carlos Carvalhal

Bizarre

lol

You and Jos are the ones blaming people, I’m saying, poo happens, get on with it

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not though is it?

Not one bit. I'm expressing my disappointment and worries about what mess Jos is in - during a time when Jos is getting it from all sides as to why he's not playing all the best players all the time.

Just casting all that aside and saying it's just a method of causing division isn't just lazy - it's inaccurate and attempts to deflect from the subject matter.

I'm definitely interested in reading all these new managers in the same situation Jos is in talking about it though - post us some links so we can see mate

Yes he's in a mess and this mess will make us a better squad going forward as he's doing things the right way.

One of my favourite articles on this is the Villa one

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/aston-villa-players-lacking-fitness-excuse-is-a-dubious-trend/

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It probably has more to do with the clubs policy of bringing in older, past their sell by date, players Many of those players have been carry injuries before they joined us Older players are more prone to injury, and generally take more time to recover

I would say it is more to do with the u23 and u18 having a different fitness regime managed by different coaches.

And how many of our players are out with impact injuries like Thornley

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I would say it is more to do with the u23 and u18 having a different fitness regime managed by different coaches.

And how many of our players are out with impact injuries like Thornley

Quite a few by all accounts, and then there were the ones like Boyd who arrived injured 

I’d also be surprised if their was no joined up thinking regarding fitness regimes Certainly the U18s will have a different training regime, as their bodies are still developing

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It probably has more to do with the clubs policy of bringing in older, past their sell by date, players Many of those players have been carrying injuries before they joined us Older players are more prone to injury, and generally take more time to recover

actually think there is credence to some of this mate.  I have long thought that recruitment after wembley was flawed and whoever is responsible should be sacked  =  IF carlos is completely absolved from that recruitment (I'm not sure tbh )  he can't then be excused from blame about his preseason jollies,  the slack discipline and seemingly non existent attention to fitness other than to tell people to stop running, what's he call it tactical periodisation or some mumbo jumbo 

I'm sorry but I'm with @OWLSTALK here deflecting from the disastrous mess Carlos has left is obtuse at best and if sh*t happens you don't start compounding it 

Just now, gurujuan said:

Quite a few by all accounts, and then there were the ones like Boyd who arrived injured 

I’d also be surprised if their was no joined up thinking regarding fitness regimes Certainly the U18s will have a different training regime, as their bodies are still developing

IF the rumours of players saying their injuries were made worse because they were rushed back without proper prep are true - whose fault was that  the manager or the medics who were sacked cos they didn't agree with it ?

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not really given the absolute bucketloads of cash he spaffed all over the shop on players

(only to them make them unfit for purpose)

more than any other manager in our entire history

And didn't even succeed in getting us promoted

I'm not bitter at him for that though

I"m angry at the state of our team right now (as shoule be any Wednesday fan)

I support Sheffield Wednesday FC not Carlos Carvalhal

Given that we've still got most of the players that he 'spaffed' cash on then once they have all had a proper pre-season under their belt and a manager who is not Carlos then there should be no reason that we shouldn't expect to improve on the 4th place he took us to then?

Don't get me wrong. we definitely went into this season unfit, the pre-season games were a joke and the opening game at Preston even more so. The lack of a proper fitness training regime is down to him and we are still paying the price for that.

Some things still from Jos still don't add up though. In this interview he clearly stated that fitness is an ongoing problem due to what he has been left with. He says he chose to play Stobbs and not Clare because they fill different roles. Fair enough maybe, but Clare's fitness should be less of an issue due to his age and the period he spent on loan away from or lax approach. Yet he still chose to play the aging Jones, Wallace and Boyd from the start for the 2nd game in a row when Clare or even Butterfield could have fulfilled these roles. 

If Reach, Joao and Nuhiu, probably our 3 most productive attacking players since Jos came in, were all unfit to start then why risk them all only when chasing the game? Surely if they were that much of a risk then at least hold 1 back for the next game otherwise we risk having no attacking threat again?

Carlos's approach has left us in a mess, no doubt about that, but that doesn't make the new manager exempt from criticism.

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To be fair this points the finger more at Carlos's slack approach to fitness. He had very little interest in promoting anyone from the youth sides and very little involvement with them in general - their approach to fitness was probably better managed by the coaches at that level.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair this points the finger more at Carlos's slack approach to fitness. He had very little interest in promoting anyone from the youth sides and very little involvement with them in general - their approach to fitness was probably better managed by the coaches at that level.

Maybe, though it seems unthinkable that there wouldn’t be some continuity between the training and medical staff Modern football is a multi million pound business, not a one man operation