Next manager odds

Whoever they are, they will need to know the league and have a general idea of English football.

If we want a foreign coach we may be better to wait until the summer. Would they get to grips with the physical teams in time, would they prefer to bring in players from elsewhere who need time to settle? It could lead to a close call at the end of the season if they don’t get the right impact straight away.

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Can’t believe so many posters on this thread are genuinely excited by the prospect of getting in an anti-football coach like Pulis of McCarthy. 

Aren’t we better than this?

Can’t we got for a young progressive coach playing 4-3-3 with ball on the deck. 

totally.

We have most of the players we need.

We just need to play with more attacking intent with players in the right positions.

And 433 takes away the defensive workload from the wide forwards/wingers.

Alternatively 4312 with Hooper the 1. The two to be Rhodes + Nuhiu/Fletcher/Joao.

1 hour ago, osowl said:

totally.

We have most of the players we need.

We just need to play with more attacking intent with players in the right positions.

And 433 takes away the defensive workload from the wide forwards/wingers.

Alternatively 4312 with Hooper the 1. The two to be Rhodes + Nuhiu/Fletcher/Joao.

I’ve thought for three years that a 3 man midfield would be the best way to get the most out of Lee & Bannan. When we play 4 one always has to play the defensive role or out wide which ain’t their natural game. 

In a three you could have Hutch sitting in the middle with them both allowed to bomb forward from central positions. With Lee out at the moment you’d also use to get the best out of Abdi. 

When hes back the wide wide left forward role in this formation would also be perfect for Fessi who isn’t quite a forward or a winger. 

This kind of approach would be 10x more fun to watch than an anti football McCarthy or Pulis team and bring back the joy of CC’s first season IMHO. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I’ve thought for three years that a 3 man midfield would be the best way to get the most out of Lee & Bannan. When we play 4 one always has to play the defensive role or out wide which ain’t their natural game. 

In a three you could have Hutch sitting in the middle with them both allowed to bomb forward from central positions. With Lee out at the moment you’d also use to get the best out of Abdi. 

When hes back the wide wide left forward role in this formation would also be perfect for Fessi who isn’t quite a forward or a winger. 

This kind of approach would be 10x more fun to watch than an anti football McCarthy or Pulis team and bring back the joy of CC’s first season IMHO. 

100%.

Firstly, we need to go 4-3-3. Secondly, when all fit, it must be a midfield 3 of Hutch, Lee and Bannan. When FF is fit, get him on the left of a front 3. Bring in a couple of pacy wide attackers in January to mix it up. Obviously, one to play on a right of a front 3. Hooper to play down the middle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

100%.

Firstly, we need to go 4-3-3. Secondly, when all fit, it must be a midfield 3 of Hutch, Lee and Bannan. When FF is fit, get him on the left of a front 3. Bring in a couple of pacy wide attackers in January to mix it up. Obviously, one to play on a right of a front 3. Hooper to play down the middle.

I honestly wouldn't be averse to a 3-5-2 with the squad we currently have

While I can understand people's desire to see someone like Lambert or even (shudders) Megson... I think these managers would have a big reconstruction job to do in terms of playing personnel to get them playing the regimented style of football they demand. Our squad would require less change to adapt to a man that's going to play 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 etc and I think that would make any transition period easier.

The most important thing to do as fans is not to be averse to us sticking to this slightly more continental style just because it didn't work with CC. It has worked in the past (Bournemouth and Watford spring to mind) and we only just missed out when CC had his weakest side to work with back in that first season. Obviously I'm not proposing we should look to emulate Barca or Man City's style... but perhaps we need to accept that we're going to be a footballing side more akin to what you'd see your Dean Smiths, Paulo Fonsesca's or Slavisa Jokanovics play than your Gary Megsons, Paul Lamberts or Nigel Pearsons. 

Edited by StudentOwl

The word ‘ progressive’ should be banned from these threads.

it has absolutely no meaning in footballing terms , nor does it have any meaning in politics anymore.

we need a ‘ progressive’ coach has no more meaning than we need a ‘wibble’ coach.

• Haha 1

I’ve said for a while that if a new manager ever came in I don’t think he’d look at our squad and think it was a 442 squad. Our only wingers are Wallace and Reach. And Wallace, despite scoring, is past his prime.

I think with the players we have we should be overloading the middle of the pitch, be it 433, 352, 4231.  And I feel one of Carlos’ main failings was not trying different formations 

• Like 1

You can call McCarthy anti football etc but, the man gets results. He has had next to no backing at Ipswich and, when he first arrived they were rooted to the bottom of the table. 

He's proven from his time at Wolves he knows how to get out if the division. He may not be fashionable, we may not play the most attractive football but, we will be effective and, we will win games. 

Anyone clamouring for Megson who turns their nose up at McCarthy is crackers.

Nobody seems to have mentioned slaven bilic? I reckon he'd be a great manager for you lot. He's got that sort of di canio madness flair about him, and I think he did ok at wet spam, they are just a dillusional set of fans. Ive been to a few of your home games this season (when Brentford arent playing, or when you beat us (just)), as I live round the corner, and deffo agree with the axing of CC. You lot can still make top 6 now with half the season to go

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I honestly wouldn't be averse to a 3-5-2 with the squad we currently have

While I can understand people's desire to see someone like Lambert or even (shudders) Megson... I think these managers would have a big reconstruction job to do in terms of playing personnel to get them playing the regimented style of football they demand. Our squad would require less change to adapt to a man that's going to play 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 etc and I think that would make any transition period easier.

The most important thing to do as fans is not to be averse to us sticking to this slightly more continental style just because it didn't work with CC. It has worked in the past (Bournemouth and Watford spring to mind) and we only just missed out when CC had his weakest side to work with back in that first season. Obviously I'm not proposing we should look to emulate Barca or Man City's style... but perhaps we need to accept that we're going to be a footballing side more akin to what you'd see your Dean Smiths, Paulo Fonsesca's or Slavisa Jokanovics play than your Gary Megsons, Paul Lamberts or Nigel Pearsons. 

Totally agree with this. With the injuries we have at the moment 3-5-2 would make a lot of sense for the upcoming games. Hutch probably needed at CB for now and I’d def draft Abdi into Centre mid. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

The word ‘ progressive’ should be banned from these threads.

it has absolutely no meaning in footballing terms , nor does it have any meaning in politics anymore.

we need a ‘ progressive’ coach has no more meaning than we need a ‘wibble’ coach.

Dont get this. When I talk about a “progressive” coach I mean one who is open to new ideas, has a modern understanding of stats and technology sand how they can assist them, can effectively man manage modern players don’t really respond to Warnock-esque rollockings any more, who is into nutrition and diet to get the maximum from his players. 

A progressive coach doesn’t have to be young or foreign - I think Big Sam ticks all of those boxes above for example. But I think I can use the word as shorthand for a managerial archetype I’d like us to appoint. 

And please no McCarthy anti-football. 

4 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Whoever they are, they will need to know the league and have a general idea of English football.

If we want a foreign coach we may be better to wait until the summer. Would they get to grips with the physical teams in time, would they prefer to bring in players from elsewhere who need time to settle? It could lead to a close call at the end of the season if they don’t get the right impact straight away.

I’m pretty sure we’ll neither go up or down this year. So actually if we’re going to get in a left field coach giving them half a season to learn the squad and league before giving it a real go next season would make sense to me. 

1 hour ago, sethman75 said:

Would love Pearson out of that lot.

He is slightly insane but would shoot a rocket under all the underperformers in the team like Rhodes and turn them into hungry beasts.

Pearson is also a fantastic team builder.

Pretty easy decision for me

He wasn’t at Derby though was he. If we have a fragile team as CC suggested it could go the same way.