Carlos says we lost because we didn't defend enough

I bet Carlos can't believe he hasn't been sacked yet. He's building his pot up before the inevitable departure. 

His time is up, but the owner won't fire him and he's not going to leave. 

The performance stank the place out. Passionless and a team going through the motions. The club is ' on hold ' .

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I have to agree

The fact that the defensive coach was in Carlos' ear whilst 2-1 down towards the end of the game was bizarre - especially when we go on to concede a penalty where BARRY BANNAN is the one defending at right back whilst Liam Palmer heads up front to Skegness for his holidays or summat

It's just mental, the lack of responsibility from anyone BUT Bannan is perhaps the biggest shocker of all when you watch it. But, stepping back, it might make sense if nobody else is happy.

edit: and Westwood, I should say. But he's in a world of his own anyway, position-wise and...y'know, generally. lol

Edited by Mr. Tom

4 minutes ago, September65 said:

The players have had enough. Whether they are not trying I don't know but there is no belief. 

And no physicality. Reach, Bannan, Wallace, Hooper, Rhodes all too lightweight today. Loovens not challenging properly.

Challenges bottled all over the place.

I kept thinking this too (Bannan the exception IMO, but he's hardly a powerhouse). Jones seemed the only one not neshing - pity he was giving away so many fouls due to changing direction like an oil tanker. But still, the effort and the willingness to take SOME sort of responsibility was there from him, as far as I could see.

Edited by Mr. Tom

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So Carlos just said that we were winning 1-0 and Norwich got back in the game and won it because we didn't shut up shop and just purely defend

He was insistent that if we'd stuck to being a defensive side we'd not have lost the game

He then went on to say that 3:1 wasn't a fair result

Bizarre

I'm not sure what he thinks we were trying to do if it wasn't shut up shop, it certainly wasn't attack or go for the kill. 

Norwich were nervous and unsure of themselves until they realised we had little or no intention of going for a second goal and then the 2nd half just passed us by without so much of a whimper. 

How many shots does he think we had in the time that we apparently blew it by not being defensive enough from when we went 1-0 up until they made it 1-1. I've heard and seen enough. 

We are the struggling teams dream:

Bolton - no wins all season - beat us twice before beating anyone else

Reading can't keep a clean sheet at home - restrict us to 1 shot on target

Birmingham - 1 win all season, bottom of the league, no home clean sheets.......

Burton - lost 8 out of 11 at home............

QPR - 2nd worst away record in the division, didn't get beat at Hillsborough

Norwich - no win in 7, over 2 months without a home win, not scored 3 in a game all season - thank you very much.

Alll this against the lesser sides but it's not to do with negative tactics at all!

4 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I kept thinking this too (Bannan notwithstanding IMO). Jones the only one not pulling out, pity he was giving away so many fouls because he changes direction like an oil tanker. But still, the effort and the willingness to take SOME sort of responsibility was there from him as far as I could see.

You're right. Jones didn't have a good game but he was (with the possible exception of the full backs) the only one who was prepared to engage physically.

36 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Hahaha.

Hes desperate to blame the fans/media for 'making' him attack more.  Even though he didnt.

What a tail...

Said on RS we lost because we were too attacking. Said we played well first half, got done by a mistake and attacked too much. Three strikers on the pitch.

48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So Carlos just said that we were winning 1-0 and Norwich got back in the game and won it because we didn't shut up shop and just purely defend

He was insistent that if we'd stuck to being a defensive side we'd not have lost the game

Bizarre

Can't stand to listen to his nonsense anymore.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Bizarre

Its time for Owlstalk to sort this out, we need Carlos out before any more damage is done. This has gone on far too long.

19 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

I'll chuck in another factor because from where I'm sat the players are nowhere near fit enough and are incapable of playing for 90 minutes.

They do look like they are blowing out of their arses at times, strange given the amount of time spent on assembling a huge backroom of coaching and medical staff.

7 minutes ago, September65 said:

No leaders, nobody prepared to take responsibility. 

Also true, I dare say Hutch wouldn't stand for this although he would also be liable to get sent off such would be the amount of work he would have to do to gee everyone else up.

There is also a lack of leadership from the sideline though, Carlos doesn't seem to ever get into his players during a game and although Bullen seems like he would have that kind of personality to put it across in no uncertain terms he seemingly doesn't have the authority to do so.

There is no urgency about the game at all at any point other than when things get desperate towards the end of a game. We are meek.

It's so simple and that's why it's so frustrating. Get a half decent ball into the box and you've got arguably the league's best two goal poachers waiting to lap it up. Saw that tonight but didn't do it after it proved to be effective.

Carlos is a complete clown. I know I could get more from this squad than him. Jesus, I bet Brian the Blade could.

• Haha 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I'm genuinely not surprised if that's the case

Can you imagine being a professional footballer under Carlos?

I would hate it if someone with his ego,  deluded self belief, lack of motivational skills, over complication abilities,inflexable approach, managed me doing anything. He would soon do my head in, big style. I would very quickly be switched off.

4 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

They don't trust or believe in his tactics anymore. I think we can say he has lost the dressing room now.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm genuinely not surprised if that's the case

Can you imagine being a professional footballer under Carlos?

He sends them out with a stoic tactical approach and they are coached to the nth degree, not an ounce of creativity allowed outside of what has been planned, nothing seems to be off the cuff. One of our few moments of pure inspiration came 20 seconds into the game at Villa Park, other than that we only try anything different when we are behind. 

It's boring to watch, it must be soul destroying to play in for the more creative players.

Yes, some of the players wanted him to stay in the summer but so did plenty of the fans, in hindsight, had we envisaged it being this uninspiring our views may well have been different, players and supporters alike.

Based on what I have seen over the last three seasons, most championship teams are poor at defending and prone to defensive errors when put under pressure. Whilst it definitely does not work in the Premier League, a Keegan/Ardiles approach of  "you score 3 we'll get 4" is more likely to get you promoted or at least in the play offs than sneaking a 1-0 lead and defending it.  Unfortunately to be a team in the Keegan /Ardiles mould you need pace and power the two qualities we conspicuously lack. In hindsight it may have been better for us to lose to Brighton in Carlos first season rather than Hull because then he may have chosen not to attempt to ape Hull and Boro and turn us into a team set up to produce battling 1-0 wins when we have neither the personnel nor the discipline to achieve that. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

He sends them out with a stoic tactical approach and they are coached to the nth degree, not an ounce of creativity allowed outside of what has been planned, nothing seems to be off the cuff. One of our few moments of pure inspiration came 20 seconds into the game at Villa Park, other than that we only try anything different when we are behind. 

It's boring to watch, it must be soul destroying to play in for the more creative players.

Yes, some of the players wanted him to stay in the summer but so did plenty of the fans, in hindsight, had we envisaged it being this uninspiring our views may well have been different, players and supporters alike.

I meant even wider than just the playing time on the pitch

I mean can you imagine coming to Sheffield Wednesday as a footballer?

Being in this squad must be mindblowingly frustrating and confusing

There's gotta be some stuff gone on behind the scenes (Abdi, Winnall, Forestieri, Hutch etc etc)

It's bonkers

Owlstalk Shop