Carlos says we lost because we didn't defend enough

So Carlos just said that we were winning 1-0 and Norwich got back in the game and won it because we didn't shut up shop and just purely defend

He was insistent that if we'd stuck to being a defensive side we'd not have lost the game

He then went on to say that 3:1 wasn't a fair result

Bizarre

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

So Carlos just said that we were winning 1-0 and Norwich got back in the game and won it because we didn't shut up shop and just purely defend

He was insistent that if we'd stuck to being a defensive side we'd not have lost the game

Bizarre

To be honest I don't care what he thinks any more. It's all bunkum. Enough is enough but I suspect he'll be sticking around. Hopefully Christmas will come early. 

We've got to look at it for what it was - Norwich put in a *pretty* good second half performance, nothing special, but we were just terrible after a pretty positive first 45.

Main problems for me, AGAIN, as they have been all season, were as follows:

a) We look KNACKERED, every player except the CBs, all the time

b) This means we hardly ever win any second balls - we chase them up and down the pitch at 60% speed, just to show a bit of willing, but (with the exception of Bannan, who should never have been having to put in that penalty challenge) there's never any real intention of properly stopping a run. Instead, we jog alongside watching

c) It also means we're horribly static off the ball going forward

Basically from minute one we waste energy horribly tracking the ball all around the pitch when we don't have it, but then shirk out when it comes to the crunch.

Our shots-per-game ratio is AWFUL, yes, but actually we're not a thousand miles away going forward if only we'd show a bit of confidence - get the ball in the box, drive for the touchlines, dribble past a man or shoot from distance. But the gameplay is there, and the intent is apparent even if we're just not pulling the trigger half often enough either in terms of final balls or actual attempts on goal.

But defensively - across pretty much the whole team, I'm not just criticising the back four here - we're just too slow to act, too stand-offish when it comes to asserting any authority. We back off and back off, and when we do finally put a challenge in, it's about half a second late and we bring players down left right and centre.

We need sharpening up so, so much. We look glazed, almost stoned. It might be the hangover effect. But whatever it is, it's not working.

So disappointing, but we've definitely let the boil go cool. We just don't seem to play with the same pride as we did 18 months ago.

Personally I'm not sure that's entirely CC's fault, but that's by-the-by: let's face it, the buck has to stop somewhere.

I'd like to know a lot more about our defensive coach myself, because IMO nearly every single goal we concede is a result of at least two glaring errors.

• Like 1

After the goal I can't remember us having a shot, our problem was we didn't kill them when we were winning and the crowd were on their backs. Another cr@p performance from both manager and players! 

He has to go and go now if we are to salvage anything from this season. 

Only Wednesday can go to a side that haven't won in 3 months at home and get hammered. 

Edited by nicko87
  • Thanks 1

When will he actually realise that we Aren't good enough to defend like that. A second goal would have destroyed them. That is what we used to do 

The guy talks complete crap. He should be sacked tonight, sent on the first plane back to Portugal tomorrow and he should never manage again. 

We have supposedly got the second biggest wage bill behind Villa and we are playing like we do. Carlos, you are a coward of a Manager. Do one!

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Thanks 1

If these are his tactics for winning he’s got to go!! We attack, score, defend the lead, concede, defend the draw, concede again then f**kin collapse. This team can’t shut the shop the defence are so poor. Don’t forget Norwich haven’t won a home game since September. So disappointed. Going out for a few pints to console myself. F**KIN FUMIN’!!!!!

:duntmatter:

Just now, Moaty78 said:

Jesus wept,man up it's been bobbar for 2 seasons but you don't know if it's Carlos fault 

I said entirely. And I honestly don't think it is. Too many players are failing to turn up far too often, and you can never 100% blame one bloke stood off to the side for that. It's not Dr Frankenstein and his 18 monsters FFS.

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Bizarre

To be fair he’s right about the result. 

It it should really have been 4 or 5:1

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

I said entirely. And I honestly don't think it is. Too many players are failing to turn up far too often, and you can never 100% blame one bloke stood off to the side for that.

Why aren't the players wanting to run through brick walls for Carlos?

What's stopping them?

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Bizarre

A sublime way of blaming the fans for wanting us to attack.

4 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

So basically he's happy to go 1 up and defend for the rest of the match?

We need a change immediately. His tactics are built to p*ss us off at this point.

Bingo.

He should be answering why we didn't win that game, from a position of being 1-0 up against a team devoid of confidence, who hadn't won at home since 9 September, and whose fans we had silenced in the first half. Cracking half time team talk Carlos, Bravo.