Time for Abdi

31 minutes ago, Animis said:

sometimes 

Sometimes things just don't go to plan - no idea what happen with Abdi - he wasn't a risk for CC - indeed he said he was the perfect fit:

“Abdi signing for Sheffield Wednesday is like a glove in the hand," Carvalhal told swfc.co.uk. "He is a fantastic footballer while at the same time he has the right spirit, he is a team worker. We identified him as a top target and I know he will fit perfectly into our dynamic. "He knows the Championship, he has succeeded in this division, and believe me when I say our fans will be singing his name very, very soon.”

Like i said, other than the injuries, no idea what happened to kick start his remarkable decline from CC's plans.

no doubt he will tell us at the end of the season what went wrong.....

We signed Abdi just before playing Port Vale in a friendly. He didn't start but came on at half time.

We had Abdi Lee and Bannan on the pitch second half . It was only Port Vale in a friendly but we passed the ball on deck at pace and the movement was fantastic.

We had just signed Fletcher who had played lone striker for Sunderland and stupidly I thought we had a plan. I was convinced the signing of Abdi along with Fletcher meant we had learned from Wembley.

That we we going to play 433 , with Hutch Abdi Bannan Lee competing for midfield with Fletcher as an experienced lone striker and Joao as his understudy with FF on the left of a front 3

It seemed obvious but Carlos saw some bizarre system with Abdi as a left winger and a potential dream turned into a nightmare, especially for Abdi. Astonishingly bad management.

To me the failure to change then was the start of the trouble we find ourselves in.

1 hour ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

You've never seen him play have you?

I have and apart from the goal at Forest he’s done nothing to justify selection. He probably needs a run of games but the way we are playing we can’t afford another passenger. I doubt he’ll make another five starts for us. 

he needs bannan to get injured then he may get a run in the side but whether he's fit enough to play consecutive games as to be a doubt .........shame for him as he looks a neat and tidy player and if he could get a run in his preferred role we may see what all the fuss was about at Watford. 

11 hours ago, Animis said:

sometimes 

Sometimes things just don't go to plan - no idea what happen with Abdi - he wasn't a risk for CC - indeed he said he was the perfect fit:

“Abdi signing for Sheffield Wednesday is like a glove in the hand," Carvalhal told swfc.co.uk. "He is a fantastic footballer while at the same time he has the right spirit, he is a team worker. We identified him as a top target and I know he will fit perfectly into our dynamic. "He knows the Championship, he has succeeded in this division, and believe me when I say our fans will be singing his name very, very soon.”

Like i said, other than the injuries, no idea what happened to kick start his remarkable decline from CC's plans.

Hes not in carlos’s plans because hes rubbish, as bad as Jones, Butterfield, Wallace, Reach and Lee have been at times hes been far worse!

14 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Insisting meaning were playing a player not suited to our formation in a pivitol place on the pitch. At Premier league when he was at villa and Palace they played him out wide. This gave him more space to exploit his passing range and use his technique on the ball to better effect. As the short comings of his game had less effect on the team. I do agree and Carlos sticking with 4-4-2 stubbornly costs us, as in the cm with say a Jones alongside him he drops deeper and deeper all the time looking for space and since Jones always sits deep there's only either sideways passes or backwards passes on. Thus hindering our forward momentum, the only way to play bazza centre  as you said is in a three. Giving a runner who can actually score goals like Lee alongside him and a dm to hold and tackle, that way when he's looking for a pass to move us forward he does have options. I'm not slating bazza, but some people on here talk as if he's a cross between Messi and Beckham and if he was as good as they say he wouldn't be playing championship football. 

Surely the player not suited to the formation is whoever is next to him in the more defensively role. 

Neither jones or butters are defensive player they are "number 8s" not "number 4s"

agreed the best thing for him would be as one of three 

Edited by Fibonacci91

14 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Insisting meaning were playing a player not suited to our formation in a pivitol place on the pitch. At Premier league when he was at villa and Palace they played him out wide. This gave him more space to exploit his passing range and use his technique on the ball to better effect. As the short comings of his game had less effect on the team. I do agree and Carlos sticking with 4-4-2 stubbornly costs us, as in the cm with say a Jones alongside him he drops deeper and deeper all the time looking for space and since Jones always sits deep there's only either sideways passes or backwards passes on. Thus hindering our forward momentum, the only way to play bazza centre  as you said is in a three. Giving a runner who can actually score goals like Lee alongside him and a dm to hold and tackle, that way when he's looking for a pass to move us forward he does have options. I'm not slating bazza, but some people on here talk as if he's a cross between Messi and Beckham and if he was as good as they say he wouldn't be playing championship football. 

Who would your two be in a 2 then, lee and butters maybe? 

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:09, Fibonacci91 said:

Plese point me towards 3 positive momens for abdi in a Wednesdays shirt. I am asking for split second moments, and only 3 of them. Please list below. 

Surely the point the poster was making is that he hasn't had a run of games to show what he can do.

He was quality and Watford and you don't just lose it overnight.

This isn't just an issue with Abdi, we have seen numerous players come into the club over the last few years and very few have been given a run of games to show what they can do.  The manager insists on sticking with the same players that failed to get promoted during his first season.

Jones and Abdi came to Wednesday on the back of playing in the majority of games for their clubs in the premier league the previous season. Quality players who have been ruined by us.

He, like Matias, have had chances in the past and been.....to put it kindly, not that impressive and quickly been unfit again for whatever reason. I wasn't convinced Abdi would be the answer when he signed, a small, fairly physically weak player in a small, (physically) weak midfield. He's done nothing to change that opinion and maybe been unlucky but I think it's clutching at straws to think he could start and make anything other than an average (or worse) contribution.

Our midfield requires a new coach with fresh ideas to liven it up. Its far too predictable with Bannan dropping deep, Lee running around midfield with not really knowing his role or purpose, Wallace turning onto his left and Reach pulling out of challenges. We also have the ineffective full backs pushed high up the pitch that receive a ball from thirty yards which gives the opponent time to decide whether to go tight or drop off. Bannan looks good in this inept midfield but I would like to see him play the ball quicker rather than hang onto it and perform his midfield pirouettes.

14 hours ago, rob chester said:

Did great at Watford but just ain't happened here and realistically it won't change under CC or anyone else for whatever reason sometimes it ain't meant to be.

a fantastic player who will fit like a glove said CC. Then play a system we cant fit him in and never see him again. outstanding

Edited by billyblack
spelling

5 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Who would your two be in a 2 then, lee and butters maybe? 

I honestly am not sure. When you think about the players we've signed since Carlos has been here sticking to his rigid 4_4-2 who have we brought in under Carlos that is a 4-4-2 player??. 

Lee(already here) converted rb

Hutch (already here) converted cb. 

Wallace played as a winger in 4-3-3.

Abdi, played at Watford in a mf 3.

Jones, played at Burnley in a mf 3.

Bannan, villa or Palace in a midfield 5 or a 3 with wingbacks. 

Forristieri, Watford played winger, 4-3-3.

Matais played as a winger 4-3-3.

Butterfield, not sure as they keep changing managers. 

Boyd. In either a mf 5 or 3 with wingbacks. 

Reach, (see Boyd) or 4-4-2 at Preston. 

Can you see a pattern emerging here, we've signed a shed load of mf/wide men that didnt play 4-4-2 as a system. 

Only really reach had been playing in that formation. 

So for me it's a no to a cm 2 as with the players we have 90% aren't really used to /suited and I didnt include the likes of mcmannaman, Buckley or mcgeedy on loan. Bad recruitment, bad management tactics if we're looking at it objectively someone has either recruitment or system wrong. If we were going to play a cm 2 we needed too be looking at the likes of huddleston, diame, livermore style players, bit of creativity, yet big strong and powerful enough not to be over run in the centre while outnumbered and could still defend,  break and add goals. 

If we couldn't get this style of player we should be changing our formation to accommodate what we have. That's what the Holloways, allardyce, pullis or warnocks do!!. 

5 hours ago, the_who said:

Surely the point the poster was making is that he hasn't had a run of games to show what he can do.

He was quality and Watford and you don't just lose it overnight.

This isn't just an issue with Abdi, we have seen numerous players come into the club over the last few years and very few have been given a run of games to show what they can do.  The manager insists on sticking with the same players that failed to get promoted during his first season.

Jones and Abdi came to Wednesday on the back of playing in the majority of games for their clubs in the premier league the previous season. Quality players who have been ruined by us.

I think I hit the nail on the head on a reply to an earlier comment. Most of the signings we've made since Carlos has been here that play either wide or in cm, I was looking through all the arguments for and against how bad our recruitment has been when it hit me.Yes We've signed some very good players... The problem is 90% of them do not fit our system of play , Abdi,Jones,  Boyd, Bannan, matias all came from clubs playing 3 in cm. Then you also realised that most of those clubs played 4-3-3 too which then brings Nando and matias in the frame with another 2 that don't really fit Carlos rigid 4-4-2 and hey presto it all becomes so clear why half our side don't play. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

On 04/12/2017 at 18:03, shezzas left peg said:

I honestly am not sure. When you think about the players we've signed since Carlos has been here sticking to his rigid 4_4-2 who have we brought in under Carlos that is a 4-4-2 player??. 

Lee(already here) converted rb

Hutch (already here) converted cb. 

Wallace played as a winger in 4-3-3.

Abdi, played at Watford in a mf 3.

Jones, played at Burnley in a mf 3.

Bannan, villa or Palace in a midfield 5 or a 3 with wingbacks. 

Forristieri, Watford played winger, 4-3-3.

Matais played as a winger 4-3-3.

Butterfield, not sure as they keep changing managers. 

Boyd. In either a mf 5 or 3 with wingbacks. 

Reach, (see Boyd) or 4-4-2 at Preston. 

Can you see a pattern emerging here, we've signed a shed load of mf/wide men that didnt play 4-4-2 as a system. 

Only really reach had been playing in that formation. 

So for me it's a no to a cm 2 as with the players we have 90% aren't really used to /suited and I didnt include the likes of mcmannaman, Buckley or mcgeedy on loan. Bad recruitment, bad management tactics if we're looking at it objectively someone has either recruitment or system wrong. If we were going to play a cm 2 we needed too be looking at the likes of huddleston, diame, livermore style players, bit of creativity, yet big strong and powerful enough not to be over run in the centre while outnumbered and could still defend,  break and add goals. 

If we couldn't get this style of player we should be changing our formation to accommodate what we have. That's what the Holloways, allardyce, pullis or warnocks do!!. 

I'm sure Jones and Boyd played 442 at Burnley?

Boyd  Barton Jones Arfield

Vokes.    Gray

difference being Jones had hard working physical players all around him to allow him to play his game. At us, he doesn't 

18 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Vokes.    Gray

difference being Jones had hard working physical players all around him to allow him to play his game. At us, he doesn't 

Oh I thought I remember them playing a wingbacks system when trippier was there bombing down the flanks.. Could have been wrong and it just seemed that way as Jones as we know sits really deep. Lol, but if they did play 4-4-2 I stand corrected bud. 

1 hour ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Vokes.    Gray

Jones is also older now

Must be pushing 33 now, makes a big difference