Jordan Rhodes

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

What is the right area? He had a cross planted into his head in the middle of the goal and missed, and had a through ball to run onto that most strikers would have got on the end of giving Roseanne Barr a piggy back and wearing clown shoes. 

It's not like IF you manage to cross on the striker it automatically goes in; you still have to hit target and beat the keeper. But apart from that one cross; the next time that cross came in was at 94:30 and Nuhiu did the job... that's a LONG time without crosses in to service the strikers the way we should. But half the time we can't even lift the ball in; or we pass it to death and give it away, or simply keep possession at the back looking for an opening for 10 minutes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thatladfromchap said:

Absolute waste of a squad number at the minute. Adds nothing and squanders chances.

We've been bemoaning lack of supply but he had one on a plate last night and fluffed his lines. 

In addition his style of play forces hooper to drop further and further back.

A good start would be getting him out of the XI.

He has had a run of four games. Scored two winners. The team has 8 points from what any fair observer would say were two tough aways, a tough home and a should-win home. 

Waste of a squad number?

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

Guest Copthorneowl

Don't think Jordan's best friend and dad could say anything positive on his behalf toady. He gets a decent contact on the cross he got in the first half and it's a goal ...was a poor miss.

Personally have thought over the last few games Hooper has dropped deeper and deeper and we miss his 'fox in the box' abilities and now his goals from general play have dried up a tad.

Like most I was hugely optimistic when we signed Rhodes but it's clearly not working out and frankly we've got too many striker options which creates ever changing teams despite these players having the motivation to play well to stay in the side.

Pretty certain well be back to Hooper/Fletcher on Saturday....hope so.

1 minute ago, Copthorneowl said:

Don't think Jordan's best friend and dad could say anything positive on his behalf toady. He gets a decent contact on the cross he got in the first half and it's a goal ...was a poor miss.

Personally have thought over the last few games Hooper has dropped deeper and deeper and we miss his 'fox in the box' abilities and now his goals from general play have dried up a tad.

Like most I was hugely optimistic when we signed Rhodes but it's clearly not working out and frankly we've got too many striker options which creates ever changing teams despite these players having the motivation to play well to stay in the side.

The whole front line was tosh due to our inability to get a cross in the box, as @Holmowl stated he has provided a decent return. We gave the ball away very cheaply last night and also allowed them to press is too far up the pitch, which resulted in our poor distribution and service to the front 2.

Was just a really bad signing IMO. There were a lot of nervous fans paying that much, we have other finishers in the team already, just can't understand why we bought him. He's OK but he hasn't added anything to our squad. Joao adds a bit of pace and trickery although it doesn't often go anywhere, Big Dave adds height and strength and for me can be a very useful player to bring on. Rhodes, no height, strength or pace and actually his finishing hasn't been that great either yet, the one attribute he's famed for. 

To many signings haven't added anything different, IMO we're no more advanced than we were in season 1 of CC, other than better cover for injuries.

16 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

As you know I'm a big fan of Rhodes, but there's no escaping the fact that last night he had a stinker, along with 7 or 8 others I would add.

Hooper certainly is coming deeper and deeper. In the first half he was taking over the Bannan quarterback role quite often, picking the ball up off Loovens and Lees in our own half. This turns Jordan into a lone-striker, at which he is pretty hopeless.

It is perfectly possible that you are right, that Fletch-Hooper is a better partnership than Rhodes-Hooper, but it's too early to know.

Lets not forget....

Hooper-Fletch hadn't scored for three games; Bolton, Barnsley, Derby. We got one point.

Hooper-Rhodes have 3 goals in 4 matches; Millwall, Villa, City, Ipswich. We got 8 points.

Personally I think that provided Carlos sticks with any two from these three, and sometimes all three, we will pick up enough points to catch 6th, but boy could we do with him allowing more positivity on that pitch, rather than turning football into chess.

On 18/11/2017 at 17:37, Wednesday-Wonderland said:

To be fair, the strikers today had their hands tied by the crap happening behind them.

Rhodes, Hooper and Fletcher are not strikers who score out of nothing - they need to be fed.

exactly this .. and the way we are set up we can't feed sh*t ...

some of the most prolific strikers in the country would struggle in this team

Rhodes was shocking last night, people saying no service but there was 2 or 3 crosses into the box last night that he should have attacked but instead he just let the defender bully him off the ball.  Far too weak should have been taken off way before he was.  I've been desperate for it to work out for him with us but last night was the final straw for me time for him to move on.

Guest Copthorneowl
32 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

As you know I'm a big fan of Rhodes, but there's no escaping the fact that last night he had a stinker, along with 7 or 8 others I would add.

Hooper certainly is coming deeper and deeper. In the first half he was taking over the Bannan quarterback role quite often, picking the ball up off Loovens and Lees in our own half. This turns Jordan into a lone-striker, at which he is pretty hopeless.

It is perfectly possible that you are right, that Fletch-Hooper is a better partnership than Rhodes-Hooper, but it's too early to know.

Lets not forget....

Hooper-Fletch hadn't scored for three games; Bolton, Barnsley, Derby. We got one point.

Hooper-Rhodes have 3 goals in 4 matches; Millwall, Villa, City, Ipswich. We got 8 points.

Personally I think that provided Carlos sticks with any two from these three, and sometimes all three, we will pick up enough points to catch 6th, but boy could we do with him allowing more positivity on that pitch, rather than turning football into chess.

Mate I'm not doubting for one minute that the change to JR and Hooper was due and right to be persevered with given JRs two good goals but now there is just as much if not more justification for going back to Fletcher/Hooper given Rhodes last two showings which im sure you accept have been dire.

Personally I'd like to see Joao given a go from the off but if Carlos is going to keep our creative midfielders playing just ahead of the back four even that won't bear fruit because Joao needs balls to run on to not receive with his back to goal.

2 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Mate I'm not doubting for one minute that the change to JR and Hooper was due and right to be persevered with given JRs two good goals but now there is just as much if not more justification for going back to Fletcher/Hooper given Rhodes last two showings which im sure you accept have been dire.

Personally I'd like to see Joao given a go from the off but if Carlos is going to keep our creative midfielders playing just ahead of the back four even that won't bear fruit because Joao needs balls to run on to not receive with his back to goal.

For a long spell Hooper-Fletch was clearly working. 

From Fulham to Leeds they scored 9 in 8. By any standards that is superb. 14 points from those 8 games...81 point season form. Not autos, but top six.

But then they and the team hit the rocks. No goals in three games, and one point. With a player like Rhodes waiting that was just cause to change.

To drop Rhodes after four games unbeaten, with eight points from three very tough games and Millwall, in which Jordan has scored two, would be detrimental to Rhodes, but would not be justified by results.

Just now, Kanye West said:

He's getting berated for missing, yet no one's pointing out the poor bloke had 1 decent ball through to him all night ffs.

It's a 2 way thing.

Every game he offers nothing at all.

Not having a go at him personally because i can see he tries, he wants to do well, but he is just not very good.

He has yet to play well in any of his games for us in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

He's getting berated for missing, yet no one's pointing out the poor bloke had 1 decent ball through to him all night ffs.

Correct. And recently he is the only striker getting himself into scoring opportunities. 

He will miss plenty. Strikers do.

If he's not scoring goals he's totally ineffective. His link up play is average at best. His hold up play is poor. He cant run beyond the defence or work the wide areas to exploit a three at the back team. 

But hey, thread a cross or a through ball to him and he will score one in three or maybe better when he's on form.

It's not enough these days in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Correct. And recently he is the only striker getting himself into scoring opportunities. 

He will miss plenty. Strikers do.

Fletcher Joao and Forestieri playing up top would create space for other players like Hooper to exploit.

Rhodes just stands where Hooper would if he wasn't playing.

I like the guy (except his diving which refs are on to) but hes not the type of striker we need.

Guest Copthorneowl
3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

To drop Rhodes after four games unbeaten, with eight points from three very tough games and Millwall, in which Jordan has scored two, would be detrimental to Rhodes, but would not be justified by results.

Holmy when you have as many strikers as we do and one under performs (big time) two games on the trot the player who's given way in the last 4 has to be back into contention.

I think you're letting your love for a player get in the way of what's best for the team ..the last two draws have shown us playing poorly and particularly as regards link up play between our two front men. Sorry but time to go back to Fletcher or any other of the striking options we've got........and with due respect mate stats don't have anything to do with how Rhodes has played in the last two. We could win three on the trot and if the same player is poor he shouldn't automatically be picked in my view just because of the result, I'd also drop Fox fwiw.

Im certain Carlos will change it on Saturday but we'll see I've got a ticket and hoping we can improve all over the pitch.

Guest RocketOwl
On 18/11/2017 at 17:35, Kanye West said:

Neither him or Hooper got a sniff today, you can’t blame it just on him. 

Yet hooper contributed throughout.

17 minutes ago, torres said:

It's a 2 way thing.

Every game he offers nothing at all.

Not having a go at him personally because i can see he tries, he wants to do well, but he is just not very good.

He has yet to play well in any of his games for us in my opinion 

Without good wide players who are allowed to stay forward and out on the wing, Rhodes will never do well here.

He's still for me one of the best strikers in the league, we're just not making the most of him.