Jordan Rhodes

4 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

Come on then - what do you expect him to do that he's not already doing?

A serious question?

I think it comes down to the question what can he do?

He can't run, he can't take anyone on, he isn't strong, quick or even nuisance value. 

Play him every match for every minute as he has prior to Boro and he will probably bag 15-20 goals  - of that i have no doubt.

The team won't do anything though

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Can’t agree with that mate Even last night, he missed with that close range header that was easier to score Then he didn’t attack that ball across the six yard box

He'd probably score more if he got a few more opportunities to score than the erm.... one he had last night.

For me, the whole setup is wrong for Rhodes.

He has to be the main man. Everything goes to him at the end of our attack. Wide men whipping in balls, midfielders putting him through.

We don't do that as we have a lot of quality in various areas playing their own way and that of the "head coaches"

Blackburn and Huddersfield he was the focal point.

Its like Benteke at Villa and Liverpool and a bit like at Palace. Play him as the main man, get all the players to, basically, get the ball to him and he'll score. Don't do that, have other men that are the focal points or doing their own thing and he will look absolute garbage. Like at Liverpool.

For me, that was why Rhodes was a bad signing for us. We had Fletcher, Hooper, Nuhiu and Joao and then signed Winnall. We didn't need another striker let alone one that didn't suit how we play and that will cost us £8m.

I like Rhodes. I think he's been one of the best strikers at this level and is deadly given the proper chances ..

BUT ... given how we set up, the tactics, the narrow style of play with rubbish balls from the fullbacks, it was a disastrous signing of biblical proportions .. we needed a direct pacy striker like Nakhi Wells, not Rhodes.

6 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

He'd probably score more if he got a few more opportunities to score than the erm.... one he had last night.

Possibly, but aren’t strikers like him supposed to, do nothing all throughout the game, and then when that chance came along Bang, it’s in the net To my mind, a finisher of his reputation should have put away the two chances that came his way If he doesn’t do that, what else does he offer to the team

24 minutes ago, torres said:

A serious question?

I think it comes down to the question what can he do?

He can't run, he can't take anyone on, he isn't strong, quick or even nuisance value. 

Play him every match for every minute as he has prior to Boro and he will probably bag 15-20 goals  - of that i have no doubt.

The team won't do anything though

Yes - a serious question. All you've done is list things that he can't do and by that I'm assuming that you expect him to be quick, direct, take defenders on and be strong. 

Did you even watch him before we signed him? He's never had any of those attributes and never will do. He's a player that comes alive in the box and is a good finisher. 

As for your comments about playing him every game and him returning 15-20 goals a season - isn't that every team wants from a Championship striker?!

Guest Fletchers head guard

The fact people thought he was back at after scoring two in the games is laughable. Turns like an oil tanker. Has 0 pace and can’t pass a ball ten yards. But it’s akright because he’s a tap in merchant... alright then 

3 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

Yes - a serious question. All you've done is list things that he can't do and by that I'm assuming that you expect him to be quick, direct, take defenders on and be strong. 

Did you even watch him before we signed him? He's never had any of those attributes and never will do. He's a player that comes alive in the box and is a good finisher. 

As for your comments about playing him every game and him returning 15-20 goals a season - isn't that every team wants from a Championship striker?!

With respect, not neccesarilly It’s more about the team dynamic, it doesn’t really matter who scores the goals

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Put away simple chances for a start Clearly he wasn’t signed for his team play and ability to take the game to the opposition However, his previous record suggested he was capable of putting away chances that might come his way He doesn’t even do that

You should probably look at the amount of chances he gets vs his conversion rate before you start drawing conclusions. 

Between the Villa, Bristol and Ipswich games he's probably had about 4 chances and he's taken 1. That's probably not so bad. If he was getting 4 chances every game his conversion rate would improve. It's not a coincidence that none of our strikers can score on a regular basis. I'm still yet to get an answer from those who slate him as to who they'd rather see play because neither Fletcher, Nuhiu, Joao or Winnall are able to score on a frequent basis either. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

With respect, not neccesarilly It’s more about the team dynamic, it doesn’t really matter who scores the goals

I absolutely agree - I think it's unfair to judge any of our strikers with the way we are being set up to play. We're flat as a pancake - no tempo and no creativity. The best strikers in the world would be tearing their hair out playing for us. 

54 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Would he have scored the goal Nuhiu did?

Would he have scored the goal Joao did against Sheffield United?

Fletcher comes on and immediately we look better.

For me he is our worst striker:

I reckon he would nine times out of 10.

That was before we shattered his confidence and helped him decline as a footballer.

His previous goal scoring record before this shows he would normally bang them away.

You don't want to believe he will do well Rory and that is obvious.

The fact you are flocking to Nuhiu after he scores one goal shows that.

1 minute ago, Ballmeist said:

You should probably look at the amount of chances he gets vs his conversion rate before you start drawing conclusions. 

Between the Villa, Bristol and Ipswich games he's probably had about 4 chances and he's taken 1. That's probably not so bad. If he was getting 4 chances every game his conversion rate would improve. It's not a coincidence that none of our strikers can score on a regular basis. I'm still yet to get an answer from those who slate him as to who they'd rather see play because neither Fletcher, Nuhiu, Joao or Winnall are able to score on a frequent basis either. 

For sure, I don’t think the way we set up, does any of the strikers any favours As for who would I put in, probably Joao. If it’s difficult for any of the strikers to score, then Joao offers other attributes that can help the team dynamic

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I reckon he would nine times out of 10.

That was before we shattered his confidence and helped him decline as a footballer.

His previous goal scoring record before this shows he would normally bang them away.

You don't want to believe he will do well Rory and that is obvious.

The fact you are flocking to Nuhiu after he scores one goal shows that.

Agree about Rhodes. Nuhiu is better than some give him credit for IMO anyway.

I’ve defended Rhodes heavily, should have scored last night tho, 100% 

we need to bang more crosses in for whoever’s upfront, wether it’s Rhodes or not , but yes that’s the kind of play he thrives off and I just think his biggest problem is the same as everyone else’s ... he’s absolutely bereft of confidence and needs to work a bit harder to get his performances back upto scratch 

one thing I will say though is if he’s to be dropped he’s a useless option to have on the bench,  will never affect a game as a sub 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For sure, I don’t think the way we set up, does any of the strikers any favours As for who would I put in, probably Joao. If it’s difficult for any of the strikers to score, then Joao offers other attributes that can help the team dynamic

Joao has pace and potential. He'll never command a place though whilst ever he continues to make poor decisions and run down blind alleys which all too often surrenders possession. Worth a place on the bench; as is Nuhiu though IMO. At the moment though I'd have the big man ahead of him if we're talking about starting either.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Nuhiu is a 100% better option as a sub than Joao , or Rhodes 

i take the goal Joao scored against United, and the fact he can run a bit , fair one .... but overall he’s a bang average player 

Edited by Guest

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

He is granted but he has missed more sitters than Rhodes in his time.

Took his goal well last night.

Indeed but they say you're only as good as your last game. When Jordan starts fluffing his chances you know summat's not right.

1 hour ago, RocketOwl said:

Would he have scored the goal Nuhiu did?

Would he have scored the goal Joao did against Sheffield United?

Fletcher comes on and immediately we look better.

For me he is our worst striker:

Disagree - he is probably our best striker used in the worst way.

The Sky pundit said yesterday, if you have a striker like Rhodes he has to play every game and you build the team around him - if we did that he would score for fun once his confidence was back.