Jordan Rhodes

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
4 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Disagree - he is probably our best striker used in the worst way.

The Sky pundit said yesterday, if you have a striker like Rhodes he has to play every game and you build the team around him - if we did that he would score for fun once his confidence was back.

I am an admirer of Rhodes but don't agree with this. Normally I'd agree that he should be given an extended run (though no player can expect to play every game; come what may) but given how we set up; what's the point? He's being destroyed here IMO. It's not about building round one player either IMO; it's about getting the best out of the group. We're not.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

I am at the point where I am starting to feel really sorry for Jordan Rhodes He needs to leave in January, and look for a fresh start at a club that plays to his strengths Sadly, that may mean dropping out of the championship, which would be bad news for us, if we were looking to recoup any of our money

Jordan has scored 24 goals in his last 87 games for Blackburn, Middlesbrough and us. Whilst not shoddy this sort of strike rate isn’t great particularly when you consider how little else he contributes. This strike rate is also getting worse year on year. Unfortunately it looks like a bad buy to me.

Guest RocketOwl
34 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I reckon he would nine times out of 10.

That was before we shattered his confidence and helped him decline as a footballer.

His previous goal scoring record before this shows he would normally bang them away.

You don't want to believe he will do well Rory and that is obvious.

The fact you are flocking to Nuhiu after he scores one goal shows that.

I don't believe that he can that's the problem. 

I genuinely was excited when we signed Rhodes. I was awareness of his goal scoring record and past. In a Wednesday shirt though he's been beyond terrible from day 1.

Guest RocketOwl
22 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Disagree - he is probably our best striker used in the worst way.

The Sky pundit said yesterday, if you have a striker like Rhodes he has to play every game and you build the team around him - if we did that he would score for fun once his confidence was back.

Rhodes is no where near talented enough to build a whole team around him. It's baffling.

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

I give up arguing with you, I really don't know what you want a striker to do with this current setup.

Be a threat. 

Like Hooper is, like FF will be, like Fletcher was last night when he all of a sudden gave us someone up top to hold it up. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I am at the point where I am starting to feel really sorry for Jordan Rhodes He needs to leave in January, and look for a fresh start at a club that plays to his strengths Sadly, that may mean dropping out of the championship, which would be bad news for us, if we were looking to recoup any of our money

Sadly you may be right. He'll not drop below the championship though.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Can’t agree with that mate Even last night, he missed with that close range header that was easier to score Then he didn’t attack that ball across the six yard box

I will agree that he should of buried the header but you can't expect him to score every single chance he gets, otherwise I don't think he'd be playing in the championship.

He was unlucky second half with a chance from Hooper's pull back, Ipswich made a great block to deny him, but other than that he's mainly feeding off scraps.

And you've got to look at the last few games he's played in. Scored against Millwall and Villa, should of won us a penalty on Saturday then missed a great chance last night. We don't feed him enough but he is seemingly having some impact on our results at the moment.

I think we're crying out for another pacey winger to replace Wallace because the Nuhiu goal is a goal that Rhodes has been scoring most of his career, Reach used his pace to get to the byline and dink one in. playing like that would get the best out of Rhodes. This methodical tippy tappy going backwards and then lumping the ball forward is never going to work for Rhodes.

19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For Jordan Rhodes to move anywhere he would have to take a significant cut in wages so I think we are stuck with him unless we give him a couple of million golden handshake to bugger off. Think this would be something Chansiri is against doing.

If we want to be a team that crosses lots of balls, then it needs to be Dave and Rhodes up front.  Dave causes havoc and all sorts bounces off him, if Rhodes is the finisher we believe him to be, he can feed on the scraps or work the space Dave creates.

You have to accept you wont score goals from crosses on the break with Rhodes in the side, he isn't quick enough to get there ahead of defenders. So crosses will be after a period of possession against a good defensive line and a crowded box, or a set play.  Hence Dave has to be the right partner.

4 minutes ago, Dirkster said:

Sadly you may be right. He'll not drop below the championship though.

Yes, I’m sure he wouldn’t want to, but there aren’t many clubs where he would be a good fit Hopefully, for us anyway, there may be another club who may take him as a vanity project, as we did Would that be good for Jordan Rhodes though

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, AyrshireOwl said:

He is a goalscorer. plain and simple. And yet all we do is lump long balls to him and hope for the best.

What's alarming is that we can't change our style to suit our record signing, but when Nuhiu comes on we'll change our style to his game and start lumping balls up to him.

It's really is quite unbelievable.

Without any pace, energy or a proper winger any striker will struggle, particularly those who score all their goals in the box.

The full backs dont do it, reach does sometimes but we desperately need a right winger with pace who regularly can at least put it in the coridoor around 6-12 yards out.

It is interesting on how people see different players

For me last night Hooper did absolutely nothing. Take away the pen and it was another game for him as a striker when he didn't have an attempt on goal. I here he "links" the play up. BUT links it up from who and to who??

Bannan looks like he is doing alot but apart from a few nice longer range passes the majority of the work is picking up the ball from either the full back or centre halfs and passing it five yards square. He stands out becuase he doesn't give it away as much as everyone else. A midefielders role used to be to create chances for the forwards. We are not creating chances so is Bannan doing his job?

Rhodes should have scored and i agree he did not do alot else in the game but he needs service. If we are going to have 60% possession away from home and spend most of that time passing it between the defence and the 2 centre mids, then even if we had Kane & Auguero up top they would look bang average. Rhodes on Saturday and again last night was the only player to really have an attempt on goal (before the penalty)

i expect Rhodes to be dropped on Saturday and then to be scapegoated for a 20 minute cameo performance when we are loosing. i'd actually like to see Carlos grow a pair and start with Rhodes, Fletcher and Hooper playing instead of the usual knee jerk reaction that happens after 60 mins.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
48 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, I’m sure he wouldn’t want to, but there aren’t many clubs where he would be a good fit Hopefully, for us anyway, there may be another club who may take him as a vanity project, as we did Would that be good for Jordan Rhodes though

IMO he's a better version of Billy Sharp. Younger too. My fear is that someone else get him performing to his proven level again.

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Jordan has scored 24 goals in his last 87 games for Blackburn, Middlesbrough and us. Whilst not shoddy this sort of strike rate isn’t great particularly when you consider how little else he contributes. This strike rate is also getting worse year on year. Unfortunately it looks like a bad buy to me.

Why do people say he a goal scorer this this proves he’s not 

9 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Why do people say he a goal scorer this this proves he’s not 

Hahahahah. He has been the best goal scorer in this division until he played under Carlos. Play with some tempo and he will score goals. 

I'd love to see him and Joao up front with Hooper just behind.

Guest Copthorneowl

The vast majority of us were delighted that at last we'd signed a player revered here for donkeys ages, the vast majority either expected or wanted him to succeed big time, only a tiny minority were negative from the off.

He's had a lot of chances and yes it's fair to say our style doesn't bring out the best, but whatever the merits/demerits of that particular scenario our style of play categorically isn't going to change and whatever his biggest fans think he's had a lot of chances that he's missed.

We have a big squad and more to the point 6 really good strikers including one injured.  Just as Fletcher came back in played really well then had a couple of poor games and was changed for Rhodes so is the case now. No striker can stay in the team when there are two on the bench two not in the squad etc. They simply have to keep playing well and take their chances when presented.  Rhodes after two very poor games has to give way we could argue all day who should come in but it's any one from Fletcher, Nuhiu, or Joao.  I prefer Fletcher who works well with Hooper but I also want Hooper further up the pitch but we all see it how we all see it but nobody gets a free pass to stay in if they fail to put simple chances away.

Edited by Copthorneowl