Daily Mail's Matt Barlow - SWFC's Hirst Snub

2 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

‘What IF’it’s not the truth then it has no more credibility has it.

Taking your ‘angst’ out on me wil notl get you any nearer the truth, but if it helps then I’m cool with that lol

No 'angst' at all with you pal!

A couple of well-known Owls fans are disgusted with what they've been told about this. I'm more interested more in what they've been told than people on here who admit they know nothing but speculate anyway.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Watson said:

If the rumours are true (which I very much doubt), it's not so much about the money it's more about having a first team place. Agents picking the team no less, just what we need. 

It shouldn't be about having a first team place; and if it has got to that stage then it has been badly managed that it's come to that.

Last season or in the summer, the club could have sat the player down and offered him a pathway over the term of his new contract that would enable him to become a first team regular.

He may well have had his head turned by the promises of riches, it's possible that he's demanding being part of the first team set up, but it's the responsibility of the club to manage these expectations in a reasoned manner which looks after the best interests, both of George Hirst and of Sheffield Wednesday.

If it's got to the stage where we either offer him silly money and first team football or he's off then certainly we'd have to let him go. However I'd argue that it should never have been allowed to get ultimatums.

Guest mrbluesky
24 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

You admit don't know what's happening which shows that your points no.1 and no.2 are that exactly.

No.3 is published in a national newspaper. The club could deny this if it's not correct.

Just for reference, where’s my points 1.  2. and 3. lol

Or are you getting in a tizz?

1 minute ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

It shouldn't be about having a first team place; and if it has got to that stage then it has been badly managed that it's come to that.

Last season or in the summer, the club could have sat the player down and offered him a pathway over the term of his new contract that would enable him to become a first team regular.

He may well have had his head turned by the promises of riches, it's possible that he's demanding being part of the first team set up, but it's the responsibility of the club to manage these expectations in a reasoned manner which looks after the best interests, both of George Hirst and of Sheffield Wednesday.

If it's got to the stage where we either offer him silly money and first team football or he's off then certainly we'd have to let him go. However I'd argue that it should never have been allowed to get ultimatums.

So how would you deal with it to everyone's satisfaction?

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

We had no issues with paying Lewis Mcgugan 18k a week to play table tennis.

Claude Dielna earnt thousands flexing in the mirror.

Urby was on big bucks for a season of sporadically playing for the U23's.

Yet we can't agree a deal with our best prospect in donkeys years. 

The most disappointing aspect of our flawed transfer strategy and the loss of Hirst to another club.

Guest mrbluesky
4 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

A couple of well-known Owls fans are disgusted with what they've been told about this. I'm more interested more in what they've been told than people on here who admit they know nothing but speculate anyway.

All a bit contradictory pal!WTF:

“A couple of well known Owls fans”

I heard a bit of ‘goss’ darn at pub, lives next to this bloke and he’s said he wants first team footy and 30k a year!!

I believed him! (honest) lol

The situation as it stands is either the club , young George or preferably both  should come out and clarify what is actually happening and why , both the club and the player are getting some stick , but until the fans know the truth it's impossible to make a judgement , just think it is very sad that the lad is looking like his future whatever that brings him lies elsewhere . Genuinely hope something can be sorted and he's given the chance to realize his potential for us . 

40 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Yeah but we've learnt our lesson!:ph34r:

Totally agree with you Bluesky 

Another classic case of " The outsiders and unloyal and  freeloaders have ripped me off so that's it the drawbridge comes down everyone suffers "..

Always the loyal suffer eh?

(Loyal in the respect that GH like us is a true owl and his dad too )

His development path is a good one. He made his debut last year and didn’t look ready despite playing U23s football at 18.

Agreed approach was to send on loan. Where would he get first team football at our level or above? 

In a year or so Fletcher and hooper will be off or in the latter stages of their career big shoes to fill and he could’ve been ready for that. 

If him and his agent weren’t focused purely on cash, then there is no excuse for leaving. Too many kids think they’ve made it before they have and get ideas above their station. 

Matt Barlow is son of Frank Barlow so might have some inside football knowledge.

However as with everybody else on here I know nowt but my rumour was that Doyen agreed a deal and then asked for significant more money at last minute. We can guess how DC would react to that

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

I don't buy this BS from Carlos that it is out of his orbit and he can't get involved in contractual stuff.

He's the manager FFS. Surely he has some influence. 

He's not the manager he's the head coach. Different responsibilities, different remit as to what he does within the club. 

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Matt Barlow is son of Frank Barlow so might have some inside football knowledge.

However as with everybody else on here I know nowt but my rumour was that Doyen agreed a deal and then asked for significant more money at last minute. We can guess how DC would react to that

I think the "last minute money increase" excuse has already been used by the kit manufacturers. Must try harder.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

A couple of well-known Owls fans are disgusted with what they've been told about this. I'm more interested more in what they've been told 

I know what you mean. Except they didn't really tell us what they'd been told.

So it's all up in the air with the rest of it.

6 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

All a bit contradictory pal!WTF:

“A couple of well known Owls fans”

I heard a bit of ‘goss’ darn at pub, lives next to this bloke and he’s said he wants first team footy and 30k a year!!

I believed him! (honest) lol

"Well known" in that one was a prominent member of Wednesdayite and the other tweets regurlarly from the academy.

Do you ever wonder why they're so annoyed with the club or are you happy just trying to get up to 13000 posts?