Alan Biggs : Sheffield Wednesday aren’t alone

Just now, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Never said it was, but we’ve had numerous baffling decisons but for some reason they’re getting discounted by the Carlos outers...

Theres a myriad of baffling decisions every week Ron...and you have to discount them, cos they add up to us getting nowt.

Brentford should have beaten us at home, they were the better team, nowt to do with decisions, simply a footballing fact..Leeds could have been 2 up before we got going...QPR even had us on the rack first 20..Sunderland the same...WE have got away with stuff...not refffing decisions admittedly, but Why was the Rhodes own goal disallowed against the Dingles....Its a mish mash of good luck bad luck and poor officiating I admit...but EVERY fan could roll it out ad nauseum...

• Like 1

Where in gods name is Biggs getting 12-13 teams underachieving in terms of promotion? Out of the teams who have spent and not lost all their best players here's what I can surmise. 

Wolves sit top.

United, Bristol City and Cardiff will be chuffed where they sit.

Boro and Villa are in the playoffs both on course for 75 points which will see them stay there. Could argue that they should be challenging top two. But Villa have been a shambles for a couple of years, Bruce has finally steadied the ship after a huge revamp in playing personnel. I'm assuming fans would have taken the playoffs before a ball was kicked this season.

Derby on track for 77 points and go joint 5th with a draw from their game in hand. Again were they expecting autos? I doubt it, fans would be happy with playoffs.

Ipswich and Forest just outside the playoffs. I doubt they will get in but currently they have potential to challenge end of the season. Not spent money. If anything higher than many would predict.

Ourselves and leeds. Currently on track for 66 points. Only just outside the playoffs as things stand. With money spent and previous seasons I can see how both are currently underachieving.

One point separates, Norwich, Brentford, QPR and Preston. In terms of spending, club and fan expectancy all but Norwich would see themselves as midtable fodder also taking into account the last several years finishes. Norwich I believe are underachieving. 

2 points swpeate Fulham, Millwall, Barnsley and Reading. Millwall just coming up and Barnsley losing half their squad will take where they are. Fulham haven't shown much besides a late run into the playoffs last season, a manager and board who do agree with recruitment policy and aren't investing much money. I'd say expectation was high start of the season, but they aren't a big club, far from it. Just so I can include a few I would put these in Biggs bracket of underachieveing. Simialr for Reading, not thrown chunks of money at it, managed playoff final last year, but recent years they have been an average footballing side and best, small club. I will include these as underachievers based on last season.

Hull on course for 46 points which can be relegation. They've lost most their best players, but I will definitely say they are underachieving currently.

Burton and Bolton are where they evened destined to be.

Birmingham is a tricky one. They shouldn't be in the relegation spots but really autos or playoffs? They've spent a few quid, but poorly imo. Not underachieving in terms of promotion challenging. 

Sunderland, gotta feel for their fans. Clubs a mess right now, I could see they going down again before a ball is picked; only few decent players they had left the club, I money spent. Never were going to be promotion candidates and fans wanted consolidation this season. Well at least from what I saw on sky sports news.

So in summary and I believe I'm being generous. These are the divisions underachievers in my opinion. 

Wednesday

Leeds

Norwich

Fulham

Reading

Hull

So that's 6 teams. I also think I'm being generous including 6. If you want to be really harsh add in Villa and Boro (I don't agree with that though). 

Just because some shitty clubs have been in the prem doesn't mean they would expect to be back there. To me with the odd exception, most teams are where they would expect to be in the table.

40 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Wilder gets sucked off, yet our manager keeps getting a kicking? WTF:

Blue and white specs off

Maybe because Wilder had a 45% win ratio at Oxford and got them promoted.

He had a 48.4% win ration at Northampton. Got them promoted and practically saved the club when they couldn't even afford to pay their players. 

Now currently has a 62.9% win ratio with United who were stuck in that crap league and spent little money and now has them challenging at the top of the championship in their first season.

He has done all this with limited funds at every job he's had

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. 

Carlos has a 45.2% with us. That's very good. However we've spent a lot of money and signed some great players. We have lost all our key games, playoff final, playoff semi and the Sheffield Derby under him. Carlos did a fantastic job first season and was unlucky at the last hurdle. Second season I believe the football was poor and we ground out results we didn't really deserve and had a hell of a lot of luck. Awful tactics in the semis let us down. This year is very similar to last season except we aren't getting the rub of the green. In his career he has won a Portuguese cup a decade ago and I believe a team promoted about 15 years ago?

That's why Wilder gets sucked off and currently Carlos is getting a deserved kicking Ron. 

4 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Blue and white specs off

He had a 48.4% win ration at Northampton. Got them promoted and practically saved the club when they couldn't even afford to pay their players. 

Now currently has a 62.9% win ratio with United who were stuck in that crap league and spent little money and now has them challenging at the top of the championship in their first season.

Carlos has a 45.2% with us. That's very good. However we've spent a lot of money and signed some great players. We have lost all our key games, playoff final, playoff semi and the Sheffield Derby under him. Carlos did a fantastic job first season and was unlucky at the last hurdle. Second season I believe the football was poor and we ground out results we didn't really deserve and had a hell of a lot of luck. Awful tactics in the semis let us down. This year is very similar to last season except we aren't getting the rub of the green. In his career he has won a Portuguese cup a decade ago and I believe a team promoted about 15 years ago?

That's why Wilder gets sucked off and currently Carlos is getting a deserved kicking Ron. 

some times you have to tip your cap to an opponent he's done well so far   but it is so far I hope they self destruct as they always do 

4 hours ago, full fathom five said:

If CC would release the shackles then we could and should bury teams like Bolton 9 times out of 10. Unfortunately his over cautious approach could already have cost us this seasons ultimate objective.

Although I would argue there are clear sings in recent games that he's no longer being as cautious as he once was.

4 hours ago, owlmanc said:

To me it highlights the difference what good managers can do... Wilder is getting the best out of average players while Carlos is in charge of talented players who are under achieving 

I'm not saying Wilder isn't a good manager because I do think he is. But the real test will come when he loses a few (and he will).

People were saying the same thing about Jokanovic and Stam last year and look how they are doing now. When you are an under dog who is under the radar its easy to do well in this league. Continuing to perform when the opposition know all about you and set out to stifle you is a completely different matter.

47 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Blue and white specs off

48 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Blue and white specs off

When are people going to accept that a lot of players didn't perform as they should in those semis and stop laying all the blame on the manager . 

I am sick and tired of the thinking that when we win we wax lyrically about the players yet when we lose we blame the manager. 

As for grinding out results. What the flip is wrong with that. Do you think teams get promoted playing like Brazil every week. 

Burnley have got promoted and are doing well in the Premier grinding out results. We do not have the players to play teams off the park every week and we certainly didn't have last season when key players were injured.

We have a thread about what happens if Hooper gets injured, well we saw what happened last season. We found a way to finish 4th

14 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Blue and white specs off

every bit off this,unfortunately,is true,good post

23 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Talk is cheap

We are where we deserve to be

Players and management need to step up

3pts off the play offs with 2 thirds of the season to play.

Don't get me wrong, with the players we have we should be in the top 6 now, but it is what it is.