Alan Biggs : Sheffield Wednesday aren’t alone

Let’s be clear. What follows is NOT an excuse for Sheffield Wednesday’s current mid-table position in the Championship. Nor is it a reason for them to dip – again – from the improved standards they are setting themselves. It’s just a fact.

Namely that it is normal this season for clubs of Wednesday’s size, carrying similar expectations, to struggle to deliver. And that will remain the case while ever a dozen and more clubs of top flight pedigree are battling for just three promotion places.

If the international break does nothing else, it provides a freeze-frame for a reality check. By my reckoning, the Owls are one of 11 clubs falling short of where they’d aspire to be.

Make that 13 if you include the teams in fifth and sixth places, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa (both only three points better than Carlos Carvalhal’s side). Boro and Villa are seven points adrift of second-placed Sheffield United; where they’d want to be.

The generally unexpected success of the Blades, Cardiff and Bristol City has put the focus on supposed under-achievers. And there are many of them, arguably over half the division, which is what makes this league so exciting.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/alan-biggs-sheffield-wednesday-aren-t-alone-there-are-at-least-11-more-big-clubs-under-achieving-1-8847834

Owlstalk Shop

It’s an exciting division this year because a lot of the quality gulfs are slowly starting to close up a bit. Yes we’re lower in the league than we should be, but just barely points-wise. Saying thirteen clubs are underachieving by position starts to sound a bit like the old joke about how everybody should be ‘above average’.

Edited by Mr. Tom

2 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Barring one or two very dodgy decisions from the officials which would have seen us possibly 4 or 5 points better off i agree.

More like 5 or 6 dodgy decisions

But even with shiit refs

We should more than enough to cope at places like Bolton (twice)

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

12 minutes ago, NYowl said:

I actually think we are playing better this year than at this time last year, last year we got all of the breaks, this year we haven't had any.

Still should be doing better than we are.

agree 

I've got concerns with parts of our team  but I believe despite that it's still a top 4 team

for me our problem is motivation, preparation and application   I'm not sure if it's just CC,  or the mental fortitude of the team we've assembled. 

Convinced we are good enough just fragile confidence I think that's why we go on runs 

1 hour ago, NYowl said:

I actually think we are playing better this year than at this time last year, last year we got all of the breaks, this year we haven't had any.

Still should be doing better than we are.

That’s true

Apart from the odd game like Norwich and Birmingham, last season was a bit of a bore fest, mainly because Carlos went all Shaun Dyche

This season some of the sexy football has returned

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

We havnt been good enough so far this season , and a massive improvement and more consistency is needed asap . Its not acceptable turning in top class performances beating L***s and Villa , them to lose to Bolton and birmingham .   

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think Alan Biggs is not as bad as some on here think he is.

I take his point that Wednesday are under achieving slightly so far this season but so are some other clubs.

But when you are paying high ticket prices like at Hillsborough fans are going to even more demanding then normal.

He's a bafoon

He makes a good point.

There's plenty of teams this season that have similar expectations than us.

If 11 - 13 clubs (by his reconning) are all jostling for top 6, plus the few Clubs overachieving (and there's always 1 or 2) then it's gonna be a bit of a Wacky Race to the finish.

It'll be a good run at the right time that decides who goes up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We havnt been good enough so far this season , and a massive improvement and more consistency is needed asap . Its not acceptable turning in top class performances beating L***s and Villa , them to lose to Bolton and birmingham .   

Have you ever played any sport?  Sometimes you lose games you expect to win, and then you win when you don't expect to.   It's especially so in football because unlike tennis, badminton etc, one mistake or one bit of brilliance can win or lose it. 

Unpredictability is what makes football such a fascinating game.  

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

More like 5 or 6 dodgy decisions

But even with shiit refs

We should more than enough to cope at places like Bolton (twice)

If CC would release the shackles then we could and should bury teams like Bolton 9 times out of 10. Unfortunately his over cautious approach could already have cost us this seasons ultimate objective.

After two seasons of going close it was always going to be difficult to achieve anything this season without some kind of change.

We needed fresh ideas and impetus, whether that be a new manager, a new system, new players with different qualities e.g. pace or whatever. Just something to change things. Everybody, coach, players and fans were bored and lacking momentum.

We now appear to have some small changes which appear to be making a difference. Reach looking like a proper threat going forward, Butterfield bringing something slightly different to midfield and Rhodes giving us a real goal scoring threat. 

We wait and see I suppose 

I'm not sure how knowing a lot of other 'top' clubs are struggling this year is supposed to help us get promoted. If other top clubs are struggling we should be taking advantage and opening a gap at the top rather than sitting in mid table.

It's a bit like saying 21 clubs failed to get promotion this year so we shouldn't be too bothered that we didn't either.

The clubs doing well haven't necessarily got strong squads but they have good leadership and are better as a team than the individual players. That's what we should be doing only we should be better because our individual players are better.

Look at United, how many of their players would you want in our team? Same with the other clubs at the top.

I've nothing against Biggs, I like the guy in a lot of ways but this article is factually correct but pointless.