Sheffield Wednesday - V - Millwall : Matchday Thread

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Thought we were poor second half after an excellent first half.  The 3 points was massive though.  Now got to sort out the away form.

Flashes of brilliance with Bannan, Reach, link and build up play, but far too many personal errors and situations where second ball is not followed up on; or not going for a header challenge, or simply getting pushed off the ball. I said before the match in the predictions thread it'd be a physical match, and it was, and I was concerned about many of our players being too light-weight... and I had my concerns confirmed in a lot of situations. We had the passing game, we're easily the better team in midfield, and thank god we have Lees in defence; covering for Loovens and Fox... Liam does a good job and he will go on runs and overlaps, just what we need, but often he will get through and then seem like he has no idea what to do with the ball. Crosses were not quality; we need Hunt, he's been great both going on runs and getting some great crosses in. Hooper was a bit slow and passive for me today; Rhodes got a deserved goal after a long draught, but I also feel he trudges around and I was wondering why it took so long before either of Hooper or Rhodes got subbed for Fletcher. Butterfield actually got in the Millwall players' faces and can hold the ball and pass it around, not as well as Bannan/Lee, but I rate him over Jones; who I didn't really notice when he came on... did he give us a bit more composure in midfield? Possibly; I was afraid Millwall would get a late equaliser again, but it seemed like we turned it as they lost air and we had some chances towards the end. Fletcher and Lee coming on gave us a lot more and much needed composure and control; being able to hold up play up the field and take attention of our defenders...

I'm not negative, just trying to sum up my view from watching that performance, I'm happy with the 3 points but at times I was amazed we were leading...

11 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

I served 25 years in the armed forces which forms the basis of my opinion...

So the basis of your opinion is that the fallen and hero's who fought for our freedom dont deserve constant recognition, they should never be out of our thoughts 365 days per year

A win is a win. Strikers did okay, but didn’t retain the ball enough. Reach had a decent game. Wallace was.. crap. Bannan and Butterfield had lots of the ball but didn’t utilise it enough. They never challenged for first/second balls and gave them time in midfield (needs sorting). Palmer was my man of the match, closely by Lees. Loovens and Fox were shakey at times but had good games. Westwood came into action when needed.

Crossing needs to be better and press more. We made a crap team look average! But I’m happy we have won, onto Villa

3 minutes ago, debram said:

So the basis of your opinion is that the fallen and hero's who fought for our freedom dont deserve constant recognition, they should never be out of our thoughts 365 days per year

If you aren't aware of the opinion i posted please don't contest what you believe it to be...