Matias / Boyd

Boyd's had surgery. Fair play as he's only missed 7 games in the last 3 seasons so that's just bad luck. 

Matias has been fit through almost all of 2017 and just isn't getting picked. He's starting for the U23s today. 

Abdi is a crock who looks a complete shadow of the player we thought we'd signed. Proper pants round the ankles job. 

Edited by kristmace

So if Matias is fit, why is he not featuring on the bench. I would think losing away to bolton would be an ideal game for him to try and get minutes into his legs 

our squads lacks pace or people who actually run at defenders at least Matias runs at people which is something different.

problem we will have he will never be match fit.

i are Rhodes being the same not enough minutes on the pitch and on the odd occasion he gets more than 5 minutes he doesn’t look match fit.

we really do not use our squad to the best we can.

im not a fan of constant rotation but surely we can get the subs on quicker. Butterfield will be the next when we need to call on him.

maybe I’m being over critical but it’s easier to start finding potentially faults when things are not going well.

not that I’m against our starting lineup but apart from the 11 maybe 15 players at most we have a squad that seems frozen out.

any changes may take 2-3 Hanes to start seeing an impact 

Shame about Boyd, I was quite pleased when we signed him. Especially as he's versatile having played on both flanks as a winger ,  as a more modern 'wide midfielder' and off the main striker during his career.

Injury has been a big blow. Though as Wily says. I was quite surprised to hear that he couldn't play certain roles......even though he has played them before.

Matias I don't think we will see again.

Clearly signed to play wide in the 4-2-3-1 which was the obvious plan in "Year One" , they clearly don't have the confidence in him to play a more disciplined and defensive role in the flat or Diamond four man midfields and the tracking and getting a foot in work which comes with the territory and helping the full back. 

He clearly knows this and did try and prove he could tackle at the back of last season..

marco_matias_of_sheffield_wednesday_r_is

Shame as I think both players do actually have the ability to cause teams problems and both are certainly capable if chipping in with goals and taking the pressure off our strike force.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Shame about Boyd, I was quite pleased when we signed him. Especially as he's versatile having played on both flanks as a winger ,  as a more modern 'wide midfielder' and off the main striker during his career.

Injury has been a big blow. Though as Wily says. I was quite surprised to hear that he couldn't play certain roles......even though he has played them before.

Matias I don't think we will see again.

Clearly signed to play wide in the 4-2-3-1 which was the obvious plan in "Year One" , they clearly don't have the confidence in him to play a more disciplined and defensive role in the flat or Diamond four man midfields and the tracking and getting a foot in work which comes with the territory and helping the full back. 

He clearly knows this and did try and prove he could tackle at the back of last season..

marco_matias_of_sheffield_wednesday_r_is

Shame as I think both players do actually have the ability to cause teams problems and both are certainly capable if chipping in with goals and taking the pressure off our strike force.

The thing I love about Matias is he is willing to run beyond the strikers. Only Lee and sometimes Joao are the only other we have willing to do this.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The thing I love about Matias is he is willing to run beyond the strikers. Only Lee and sometimes Joao are the only other we have willing to do this.

Looking at the team as a whole then that is one of the stand out things about our more rigid 'pinch a win' style.

Players are so versed in keeping their shape defensivly that they aren't getting into those positions.

Take away Hoopers tremendous efforts and our goals for column looks seriously sparse.

Midfield and defence should be chipping in more.

Midfielders not helped by 'the plan'

Defenders not helped by what have been some very sloppy set plays.

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Tbh I've accepted that Emanuelson was probably "given" to Carlos. You're not likely to use a player you didn't want, as with Lachman. But Carlos said Boyd was his "first choice to the position", and later said he can't play in a diamond. Didn't do his homework on the player then, did he..?! 

I often though about this. 

Hypothetically, if you were bankrolling a football club, and got some player(s) in for your coach, would you not be annoyed if they sat on the bench (at best), just collecting their - doubtless not unsubstantial - salary, barely getting any playing time?

The cost of bringing the player in, and them paying him, only for your coach to ignore him would, to me, seem like a two-fingered salute and I'd be better off taking the cash throwing it into the Don.

4 hours ago, Jeff King's dog said:

So in an interview with a journalist he would just look at his shoes and stay schtum? Perhaps whistle a bit to while away the awkward silence....

Get real. CC has had various players 'selected' for him and he has to do his best to look happy about it. If he said nothing he might as well get his own P45.

This is the first time Carlos has managed in this country.  So his whole managerial career prior to this job is in countries where the idea of a "manager" is a (to use the obvious pun) foreign concept.  He will be totally comfortable with the idea of recruitment being done by the club as a whole whilst he's in charge of getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

Whether he has greater responsibility here I don't know, but the idea that he would have some agenda against players he didn't personally sign is ludicrous.

Edited by oz_owl

4 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Boyd played in 36 prem games last season yet when he came to us and was fit CC didn't seem keen to start him. Just another starange situation. 

Stop making things up

Boyd started at Preston and every away game until he was injured 

Not selected at home because we played a diamond and had better options 

What is strange about it?

He wasn't outstanding in any of his games 

4 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

This is the first time Carlos has managed in this country.  So his whole managerial career prior to this job is in countries where the idea of a "manager" is a (to use the obvious pun) foreign concept.  He will be totally comfortable with the idea of recruitment being done by the club as a whole whilst he's in charge of getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

Whether he has greater responsibility here I don't know, but the idea that he would have some agenda against players he didn't personally sign is ludicrous.

and if he did have some kind of warped agenda on this basis surely the chairman would have pulled him up about it before now.

Early on his 1st season here Carlos played 4-3-3 and Matias was a part of that. He clearly doesn't fit into the 4-4-2 formation as his attributes are most productive when on the break or when cutting in and shooting, direct towards goal rather than staying out wide and crossing or being involved in slow build up possession play. 

30 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Do they even exist?

CC has no clue how to use them 

Sadly it seems that this is becoming as increasingly true of the players that he does play as well as the ones he doesn't.

33 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Stop making things up

Boyd started at Preston and every away game until he was injured 

Not selected at home because we played a diamond and had better options 

What is strange about it?

He wasn't outstanding in any of his games 

I just find it strange that quality players like Boyd and Abdi for example, players that have played in the Premiership and looked real quality all of a sudden arent good enough to play in our team, what happens to these players once they sign for us. Whenever i had seen Boyd in the past play against us he has looked a quality player yet for us he hasnt looked the same player. If CC thought Boyd couldnt play in a diamond why sign him in the first place, another example of money being wasted when the squad needed improving elsewhere with players that can play in whatever formation.

Edited by WalthamOwl

47 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I just find it strange that quality players like Boyd and Abdi for example, players that have played in the Premiership and looked real quality all of a sudden arent good enough to play in our team, what happens to these players once they sign for us. Whenever i had seen Boyd in the past play against us he has looked a quality player yet for us he hasnt looked the same player. If CC thought Boyd couldnt play in a diamond why sign him in the first place, another example of money being wasted when the squad needed improving elsewhere with players that can play in whatever formation.

What is strange 

Abdi appears to have been injured since we signed him and this is borne out by the fact he rarely completed 90 mins when selected. Carlos kept telling us he was injured but as usual people ignored him 

Unless Carlos did his medical It is not his fault 

We generally play a 442. Boyd was a regular in a 442 with Burnley . Most people were happy we signed him

There are lots of things to have a go at Carlos for if you are inclined to but not Boyd and Abdi