Can he do a job for us ?

Really interesting thread, this.

I've been wondering what sort of support networks clubs typically put in place for players, most of whom are young, relatively uneducated and exposed to far too much money/pressure/adulation/public scrutiny for their years. Especially since reading about e.g. Hutch's (unrelated to any of the above) genuinely heroic battles with mental health over the years.

The latter is a much more widespread concern than we're generally encouraged to believe, I'm absolutely convinced. For me, religion has little place in that particular arena, but it's interesting to note that the role of Chaplain seems a bit wider in scope than simply referring troubled youth to a vaguely analogous Bible story.

(Cant help wondering, too, if the presence of a faith-based counsellor of sorts could prove at all divisive in an environment characterised by so many different nationalities, egos, values and belief systems having to work together. Helan, anyone...?)

It's certainly true that a lot of footballers seem to value SOME kind of personal faith, though. Westwood is one obvious example on our team - he can clearly be seen doing 'sign of the cross' multiple times per game, seems almost evangelical on occasion.

Fascinating area of modern sport, and - along with mental health - one that merits a lot more discussion among pundits, fans and journalists than it gets, I'd say.

Edited by Mr. Tom

9 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

The praying thing is difficult.

If there is a God, then he sits separately from the universe he brought into being.  He has an existence outside space-time.  If you think of him as an observer outside of space-time then he can observe all points in space-time with equal access.  The end of the derby game is just as perceptible to God as the start of it.  More than that, however, God not only can perceive space-time but created it: he created as a whole a universe including all of space-time.  So in the act of creation there was equally created the state of affairs including the kick-off and the full-time whistle.

Not much a chaplain can do about that.  Although of course any praying done by the chaplain is equally a created moment.

Well I wish he'd created us a third goal at 2-2. 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Really interesting thread, this.

I've been wondering what sort of support networks clubs typically put in place for players, most of whom are young, relatively uneducated and exposed to far too much money/pressure/adulation/public scrutiny for their years. Especially since reading about e.g. Hutch's (unrelated to any of the above) genuinely heroic battles with mental health over the years.

The latter is a much more widespread concern than we're generally encouraged to believe, I'm absolutely convinced. For me, religion has little place in that particular arena, but it's interesting to note that the role of Chaplain seems a bit wider in scope than simply referring troubled youth to a vaguely analogous Bible story.

(Cant help wondering, too, if the presence of a faith-based counsellor of sorts could prove at all divisive in an environment characterised by so many different nationalities, egos, values and belief systems having to work together. Helan, anyone...?)

It's certainly true that a lot of footballers seem to value SOME kind of personal faith, though. Westwood is one obvious example on our team - he can clearly be seen doing 'sign of the cross' multiple times per game, seems almost evangelical on occasion.

Fascinating area of modern sport, and - along with mental health - one that merits a lot more discussion among pundits, fans and journalists than it gets, I'd say.

Great post Mr Tom.  I don't want to get too heavy on this topic, but it is an area that most football fans/sports fans don't seem to know much about. There must be a some sort of demand from players and staff alike, (young and old). Not sure what support would be available to players/staff of other faiths, other than Christian ?

As I have said in this thread already,it would be nice to get a fuller insight from the Club Chaplain and see what his objectives and hurdles are, within our club. The club programme would be the obvious vehicle for this.

well if anyone dies for the cause , there you have it the chaplin is in situ , not been needed yet though so might be classed as stealing a living lol ,(when i say dies for the cause i don't mean litrally lol)

Edited by trevdi9

30 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

well if anyone dies for the cause , there you have it the chaplin is in situ , not been needed yet though so might be classed as stealing a living lol ,(when i say dies for the cause i don't mean litrally lol)

Well he must be kept busy on match days, running around the South Stand ( I suppose that is where he sits) answering all those who call out OMG NOT AGAIN !! Our Chaplain must think that there are loads of em who have seen the "Second Coming":biggrin:

20 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It's this bloke, just to point anyone wishing to register derby-related complaints in the right direction. Seem to remember him coming to our school a couple of times but his talks can't have made much of an impression as I can't remember a blind thing about them.

baz.JPG

Are you saying Bazza Gascoyne is our chaplain? 

On 4 October 2017 at 12:48, Whatahoot said:

Thanks for that. This gives a very general overview of the role. It would be interesting to know what our Chaplain does specifically for SWFC It could provide a good programme note ...A day in the life of...so to speak.

That could be really good.

Monday: Little Barry came to see me today worried about his hair loss. Provided comfort and told him to stop combing over it looks ridiculous.

Tuesday: Big Dave sought solace. Finding it difficult on the bench. Told him it could be worse he could be McGugan.

Wednesday: Most holy day of the week. Cancelled all appointments and had a couple of sherries instead.

Thursday: quiet morning until I find out that Wallace had cut the end off my socks. Blood and Sand!

Friday: Still trying to get some quality time with Kieron but he says he doesn't deal with crosses too well. 

And so on.......

9 hours ago, GMOwl72 said:

That could be really good.

Monday: Little Barry came to see me today worried about his hair loss. Provided comfort and told him to stop combing over it looks ridiculous.

Tuesday: Big Dave sought solace. Finding it difficult on the bench. Told him it could be worse he could be McGugan.

Wednesday: Most holy day of the week. Cancelled all appointments and had a couple of sherries instead.

Thursday: quiet morning until I find out that Wallace had cut the end off my socks. Blood and Sand!

Friday: Still trying to get some quality time with Kieron but he says he doesn't deal with crosses too well. 

And so on.......

Yea....something along these lines I suppose ?