Can he do a job for us ?

It’s a job where you can help with the wellbeing of others. Bring a little peace where otherwise there is worry.

Won’t find me knocking it.

Nor those who have sought, and found comfort themselves through an intermediary of God.

You don’t have to believe yourself, but you can appreciate that the Chaplain’s role adds value for some.

One thing I’m definite about is that its not him vandalising cars on match day on Herries Road.

• Like 1

He tells them wee stories about being watched by something that cares about him and his upcoming football match, but doesnt care about the mass slaughter of thousands in conflict throught the world, and they play better (sometimes) through belief that the man is watching them and on their side. 

On 10/4/2017 at 15:53, dr. benway said:

Only about the correct spelling of "religious", my child.

au contraire Dr B ... both are correct spellings of something I have very little to do with .. but I will take 3 Hail Marys for penance just in case I have sinned father.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, theowlsman said:

It’s a job where you can help with the wellbeing of others. Bring a little peace where otherwise there is worry.

Won’t find me knocking it.

Nor those who have sought, and found comfort themselves through an intermediary of God.

You don’t have to believe yourself, but you can appreciate that the Chaplain’s role adds value for some.

One thing I’m definite about is that its not him vandalising cars on match day on Herries Road.

Amen to that.

On 10/5/2017 at 01:05, Mr. Tom said:

Really interesting thread, this.

I've been wondering what sort of support networks clubs typically put in place for players, most of whom are young, relatively uneducated and exposed to far too much money/pressure/adulation/public scrutiny for their years. Especially since reading about e.g. Hutch's (unrelated to any of the above) genuinely heroic battles with mental health over the years.

The latter is a much more widespread concern than we're generally encouraged to believe, I'm absolutely convinced. For me, religion has little place in that particular arena, but it's interesting to note that the role of Chaplain seems a bit wider in scope than simply referring troubled youth to a vaguely analogous Bible story.

(Cant help wondering, too, if the presence of a faith-based counsellor of sorts could prove at all divisive in an environment characterised by so many different nationalities, egos, values and belief systems having to work together. Helan, anyone...?)

It's certainly true that a lot of footballers seem to value SOME kind of personal faith, though. Westwood is one obvious example on our team - he can clearly be seen doing 'sign of the cross' multiple times per game, seems almost evangelical on occasion.

Fascinating area of modern sport, and - along with mental health - one that merits a lot more discussion among pundits, fans and journalists than it gets, I'd say.

In all seriousness football does not pay anywhere near enough attention to pastoral care in the holistic sense

I've long had the argument with people in football that if a player has a physical problem then everybody feels for them and its implored everything is done to get them fit again

If a player struggles psychologically due to pressure, stress, family issues whatever - then it's usually "they're mentally weak - f*ck em" (metaphorically)

The upshot being that a physical problem garners sympathy and redoubles determination to fix it - where any mental issue sees them stigmatised and chucked assunder

Shameful imo

Especially as the game itself is a huge cause of such issues

Edited by scram

35 minutes ago, scram said:

In all seriousness football does not pay anywhere near enough attention to pastoral care in the holistic sense

I've long had the argument with people in football that if a player has a physical problem then everybody feels for them and its implored everything is done to get them fit again

If a player struggles psychologically due to pressure, stress, family issues whatever - then it's usually "they're mentally weak - f*ck em" (metaphorically)

The upshot being that a physical problem garners sympathy and redoubles determination to fix it - where any mental issue sees them stigmatised and chucked assunder

Shameful imo

Absolutely

8 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Absolutely

8 hours ago, scram said:

Shameful imo

I agree in the main.. People seem to accept a player with a physical injury is unlucky or it's just part of the game. Whereas, a player with a mental,cultral,spiritual or genuine stress related issue, should simply get a grip, because they are paid big money and are in a privilaged position. Of course the word "genuine" is important in this context.

On 04/10/2017 at 13:26, s10Owl said:

I might be able to shed some light on this for you;

I'm not a religious person save to say that Wednesday is my religion and Hillsborough is my church and all that but.......

My Dad was the first SWFC Club Chaplain, he was approached by the club in 1978 as when at Leeds, Jack Charlton had seen the benefits that having someone who was around the club perhaps one day a week from a Pastoral Care perspective could bring. He was an outlet for players, managers, staff both at Middlewood Road and at the Club could speak with confide with and like many organisations, SWFC embraced this. Dad was Chaplain to Steel Works and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and did the same for their staff members by having a presence in their workplace.

Our inferior neighbours across the city also had a Chaplain whom was a close colleague of Dad's and family friends and it was such good planning that we were invited to their house for a party on the evening of 26th December 1979 - Priceless!!

When Howard Wilkinson got married, he was asked to conduct the ceremony as he also did when Steve Ellis the Club Photographer got married (I remember the brief confusion I used to generate by telling people that my Dad Married Howard Wilkinson).  I also remember having watched Wednesday away in the Milk Cup at Stoke, they hadn't been very good and Dad passed comment,  I still recall the response that Howard (whom became a family friend) gave "I don't tell you about the Bible, so don't tell me about football!!!!) 

His pastoral role perhaps came to the forefront, in 1989, when he assisted by Social Services setting up the Counselling and support that was offered to the Club and all associated with the Hillsborough disaster. 

What a brilliant, informative and  interesting post, cheers for that s100

Wish all the posts on the forum were as good,  I'd never be off Owlstalk !

I went on a ground tour three years ago, it was the Derby County game, and I met the club chaplain, and a thoughrally nice bloke he was. There is a little room at the end of the corridor by the away changing rooms where some ( mainly overseas) players pray. We peeped in and there were two players in track suits kneeling down praying, on of which was Jeremey Helan. 

The chaplain told us that on some occasions when Wednesday were playing away they had to stop the coach to allow Helan to pray in a layby.... I kid you not.

4 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I went on a ground tour three years ago, it was the Derby County game, and I met the club chaplain, and a thoughrally nice bloke he was. There is a little room at the end of the corridor by the away changing rooms where some ( mainly overseas) players pray. We peeped in and there were two players in track suits kneeling down praying, on of which was Jeremey Helan. 

The chaplain told us that on some occasions when Wednesday were playing away they had to stop the coach to allow Helan to pray in a layby.... I kid you not.

I now think that our Chaplain's remit is bigger than most of us would imagine.Thanks for this little insight.