Can he do a job for us ?

I was walking down to Hillsborough last Sunday (Leeds game) from my Walkley parking spot and saw that I was walking behind a guy with a dark blue Wednesday jacket with the words "Club Chaplain" on the back. I'm not a particularly religious person, but neither am I a person that would make light of any person who is. But it just got me thinking of what this man might do for our club ? If anyone actually knows then please tell us. Do other clubs have a club Chaplain ? Is it a full time position ?

Anyway, I digress, as I was walking down and into the ground and I had arrived particularly early, I sat for a little while in my seat and pondered what he could do for us, in "My World".Where was he when we needed him during the derby match ? or do Sheff Utd have a Chaplain too, so any of his interventions would be  "equalised" ? Why can't he visit the treatment room every Monday morning and take on delegated powers from above and heal the likes of FF and Loovens.?  Why can't he visit the vending/refreshment areas and have a go at turning the water into wine and turning 5 chips and 2 pies into a free feast for us pilgrims ? He could have parted the water during our great flood ?

Seriously, why do we have a Club Chaplain ? Whats his purpose in life ? Is he there for the staff or the fans (or both).I wish I had caught him up on our walk to the ground as I should have asked him these questions myself. I'm sure he can do a job for us though.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, GoldGigsChris said:

United definitively did have a Chaplain a few years ago.

Whether coincidence or his divine guidance, one of his church congregation members ended up at United - Kyle Walker

Thats interesting too. You could see a role at our Accademy to help the youngsters, if needed, on the full time residential / educational contracts, as they are away from home for the first time.

41 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I was walking down to Hillsborough last Sunday (Leeds game) from my Walkley parking spot and saw that I was walking behind a guy with a dark blue Wednesday jacket with the words "Club Chaplain" on the back. I'm not a particularly religious person, but neither am I a person that would make light of any person who is. But it just got me thinking of what this man might do for our club ? If anyone actually knows then please tell us. Do other clubs have a club Chaplain ? Is it a full time position ?

Anyway, I digress, as I was walking down and into the ground and I had arrived particularly early, I sat for a little while in my seat and pondered what he could do for us, in "My World".Where was he when we needed him during the derby match ? or do Sheff Utd have a Chaplain too, so any of his interventions would be  "equalised" ? Why can't he visit the treatment room every Monday morning and take on delegated powers from above and heal the likes of FF and Loovens.?  Why can't he visit the vending/refreshment areas and have a go at turning the water into wine and turning 5 chips and 2 pies into a free feast for us pilgrims ? He could have parted the water during our great flood ?

Seriously, why do we have a Club Chaplain ? Whats his purpose in life ? Is he there for the staff or the fans (or both).I wish I had caught him up on our walk to the ground as I should have asked him these questions myself. I'm sure he can do a job for us though.

Bob Dylan

'With God on our side'.

• Like 1

I might be able to shed some light on this for you;

I'm not a religious person save to say that Wednesday is my religion and Hillsborough is my church and all that but.......

My Dad was the first SWFC Club Chaplain, he was approached by the club in 1978 as when at Leeds, Jack Charlton had seen the benefits that having someone who was around the club perhaps one day a week from a Pastoral Care perspective could bring. He was an outlet for players, managers, staff both at Middlewood Road and at the Club could speak with confide with and like many organisations, SWFC embraced this. Dad was Chaplain to Steel Works and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and did the same for their staff members by having a presence in their workplace.

Our inferior neighbours across the city also had a Chaplain whom was a close colleague of Dad's and family friends and it was such good planning that we were invited to their house for a party on the evening of 26th December 1979 - Priceless!!

When Howard Wilkinson got married, he was asked to conduct the ceremony as he also did when Steve Ellis the Club Photographer got married (I remember the brief confusion I used to generate by telling people that my Dad Married Howard Wilkinson).  I also remember having watched Wednesday away in the Milk Cup at Stoke, they hadn't been very good and Dad passed comment,  I still recall the response that Howard (whom became a family friend) gave "I don't tell you about the Bible, so don't tell me about football!!!!) 

His pastoral role perhaps came to the forefront, in 1989, when he assisted by Social Services setting up the Counselling and support that was offered to the Club and all associated with the Hillsborough disaster. 

• Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, s10Owl said:

I might be able to shed some light on this for you;

I'm not a religious person save to say that Wednesday is my religion and Hillsborough is my church and all that but.......

My Dad was the first SWFC Club Chaplain, he was approached by the club in 1978 as when at Leeds, Jack Charlton had seen the benefits that having someone who was around the club perhaps one day a week from a Pastoral Care perspective could bring. He was an outlet for players, managers, staff both at Middlewood Road and at the Club could speak with confide with and like many organisations, SWFC embraced this. Dad was Chaplain to Steel Works and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and did the same for their staff members by having a presence in their workplace.

Our inferior neighbours across the city also had a Chaplain whom was a close colleague of Dad's and family friends and it was such good planning that we were invited to their house for a party on the evening of 26th December 1979 - Priceless!!

When Howard Wilkinson got married, he was asked to conduct the ceremony as he also did when Steve Ellis the Club Photographer got married (I remember the brief confusion I used to generate by telling people that my Dad Married Howard Wilkinson).  I also remember having watched Wednesday away in the Milk Cup at Stoke, they hadn't been very good and Dad passed comment,  I still recall the response that Howard (whom became a family friend) gave "I don't tell you about the Bible, so don't tell me about football!!!!) 

His pastoral role perhaps came to the forefront, in 1989, when he assisted by Social Services setting up the Counselling and support that was offered to the Club and all associated with the Hillsborough disaster. 

Thanks for that. So we can take it that it is still a part time role and he mainly serves the staff of the club as his regular duties. I can obviously see his contribution towards The Hillsborough Disaster.