Exorbitant wage bill

Been saying it for the last 18 months, it'll all end in tears.

But I put some of the Blame on the fans, how many on here were drooling at the thought of all the money to be spent when DC took control of the club.

If I were DC I would spend very little on the 1st team squad again this season, rather increase the investment in the future of the club, the academy.

Bring in better scouts and coaching staff at that level to attract the better young players from this area.

Then look to give the young players the chance of 1st team football.

Secondly, have a long term view and bring young players in from the lower divs/championship and improve them..

7 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

But I put some of the Blame on the fans, how many on here were drooling at the thought of all the money to be spent when DC took control of the club.

If I were DC I would spend very little on the 1st team squad again this season, rather increase the investment in the future of the club, the academy.

Bring in better scouts and coaching staff at that level to attract the better young players from this area.

Secondly, have a long term view and bring young players in from the lower divs/championship and improve them..

Why blame the fans? They didnt sign the players, they asked questions about why certain players were being signed notably Rhodes as who was going to provide the service.

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

Why blame the fans? They didnt sign the players, they asked questions about why certain players were being signed notably Rhodes as who was going to provide the service.

Because that is the nature of the beast that is the fan base at our club.

Historically, the fans have wanted the club to buy success rather than build for it, how many time have you heard the fans call for this player or that player?, when was the last time Wednesday had a successful youth set up that produced 1st team players for the club?, the last I can remember was in the 1970's/80's.

I am afraid these expectations led us into bankruptcy not so long ago, and look like doing it again.

36 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

On Sunday in the South Stand I spoke to a man who is very well connected in Sheffield football. He told me that we have 10 players earning more than 30k per week and our opponents don't have one earning half that.

£30k a week is the going rate for experienced Championship players these days sadly.

35 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Wow - was he a pig?

So is that the stock response to anything you don't like the sound of?

Fortunately some more sensible posters have made positive contributions to make this an interesting thread.

Any new manager will struggle because his hand will be tied. It would be very difficult to move any of the above in the JTW as other clubs will not pay those wages, so there is liitle room to wheel and deal.

Our only hope is that better coaching improves the players we have already got and turns things around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Because that is the nature of the beast that is the fan base at our club.

Historically, the fans have wanted the club to buy success rather than build for it, how many time have you heard the fans call for this player or that player?, when was the last time Wednesday had a successful youth set up that produced 1st team players for the club?, the last I can remember was in the 1970's/80's.

I am afraid these expectations led us into bankruptcy not so long ago, and look like doing it again.

Is any fan base at any club that much different.

I expect if I went on fan forums of similar size clubs like Forest, Derby, Wolves they will all be having similar discussions about players they need and should buy. 

43 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Wow - was he a pig?

When I was a kid this wasn't a term used by fans of Sheffield clubs to each other (although I'm sure some old-timers will claim differently). The insults of "pig" and "piggy" that are thrown about on here I find childish and cringeworthy and makes me wonder if the poster does have learning difficulties.

11 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

So is that the stock response to anything you don't like the sound of?

Think it's more to do with the opening poster (Geoffrey) posting nothing but negative stuff and the suspicion that he's a Blade as a result.

We could beat PSG 7-1, rock the footballing world with our football, and Geoffrey would start a thread criticise the club for not keeping a clean sheet.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Which is why I firmly believe that we need to get some more 'football people' involved. Long term.

Both on the coaching side - Irrespective of who the manager is - and in the boardroom. To advise the chairman in football related matters. And not have the vested interests that , for example a Sports agency with a stable of players might have.