The Carlos to stay brigade

Oh ok then if we are promised promotion or to challenge for promotion then we should just accept staying up? With the backing have we are under performing and its plain to see. The manager is the issue and if you can’t see that then I suggest you lack perspective.

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

Oh ok then if we are promised promotion or to challenge for promotion then we should just accept staying up? With the backing have we are under performing and its plain to see. The manager is the issue and if you can’t see that then I suggest you lack perspective.

This is exactly the kind of binary thinking I have just referenced in another post and that drives me insane. I have criticised the manager and his approach many times in recent weeks, including several times tonight and I was ambivalent about whether he stayed on after last season. Stop indulging in this George W Bush 'with us or against us' polarisation that does nothing to raise the standard of debate.

6 minutes ago, Prince said:

Is this a reply to me or a reply in general ?

If it is to me,i don't care what you think i lack.

I am not here to set or raise any standards of debate. I post on here because I have the hump with the way the club I have followed for 40+ years is being managed at the minute.  

This is a football forum and not the Oxford debating society FFS

Just now, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Is this a reply to me or a reply in general ?

If it is to me,i don't care what you think i lack.

Good I don’t care for your opinion either but I will not be silenced or cowed but by people who think differently from me.

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

That's a large percentage of football fans though isn't it? Everything is either blinding white or deepest black with little by way of grey in between. Often, it's only a whim or an impulse that can get them to switch abruptly from one to the other. And absolutely everything, no matter how fanciful or ridiculous, can be explained by a catalogue of mindless soundbites like 'lost the dressing room', 'tactically naive', 'no plan b', 'too stubborn', 'no passion', 'one pace' etc. etc.

^^^^

A man with such vast OT experience does not need approbation from me but the way these "black or white" "great-rubbish" binaries have infected all forms of media has put quite a few of my mates off footy altogether. 

OK so my memories go back a bit but I remember Bill Shankley once declaring that "this season will be a season of transition" as he blooded youngsters like Keegan Lindsay Heighway Lloyd etc and no one regarded that as ludicrous - it was eminently sensible and helped forge the character of the club and prepare it for success. Can anybody imagine such a possibility now? The hysterical rantings you get on 5Live if one of the big teams don't win at the weekend probably makes all of us shake our heads, but the main criticism of us as Massive on other forums is exactly the same - bemusement as to why we would think we should automatically win/ be successful when we haven't been "up there" for 20 odd years.

In Italy they used to talk of  "il ciclo" - 3 years to sort a team to challenge and succeed and I/ we all realise Carlos and this group of players is up against that deadline. I think it has been eminently reasonable of Chansiri to back him this far. Yes - discontent has been brewing but sometimes it is a brave decision to do nothing. I do sadly think that defeat to Leeds will lead to a Carlos exit but I hope for his own dignity that if that happens he walks before he is pushed and he is not treated to the toxic treatment Hillsboro has dished out to others in the past. His time here has had some great highs and painful lows - that's life, that's footy. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Trader Dom said:

Are very quiet tonight...

What's your excuses to keep him after tonight's performance...

It's a shame that some on here are so keen to get one over other fans and 'prove' they are right. So much for WAWAW.

For what it's worth I've long been a supporter of Carlos and its my view that he's generally gone a very good job here. I did want to give him another crack this season and thought he would again have us challenging near the top. However it does seem like the 2 consecutive playoff losses have hit the players hard psychologically. Over the  the summer we needed a much bigger shake up of players to freshen things up. Unfortunately for Carlos he didn't get that. But we have the squad that we have and it does seem that we've gone stale and Carlos doesn't give confidence that he can turn it around. Wheras with previous bad patches I always thought that he would.

It pains me to say it but turning things around now will be extremely difficult for him. It does now have that feeling of inevitability to it.

8 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

it comes down to fine margins 

Look - ten days and ten seconds ago we were on the brink of winning at Cardiff and going 2 points off top. Sunday we were proper shybo first half but at 2:2 every blade in the city would have settled for a draw. Tonight - Hoopers goal stands and we win.

hey - if he goes he goes - but he is a good guy and IMO deserves more respect than he is getting.

Theres a lot of straws your clutching at there - how about 'if Nando had only scored that pen against Udds' ??

The reason many want Calos to go isn't merely just the results this week, it's been building since last season and specifically the pathetic way we surrendered a golden opportunity against Huddersfield in the play offs. I was at PNE and Burton when we were poor - again. I was at Fulham - yeh good result and played well but then Brentford at home we could have easily lost if they could hit the target. Sunderland - absolute rubbish and we couldn't beat them and now Brum who couldn't buy a win. 

We stagnated after the Hull final and hardly improved despite the money spent. Eight of the players that played that day are still regulars in our side, EIGHT!! How can we have improved with that stat???

We finished near enough the same distance from automatic last season as we did the year before. This season - when the relegated teams are struggling the opportunity for a top 2 finish has never been more attainable, yet here we are a quarter of the season gone and 8 points off the top 2. We've won 3 games - THREE OUT OF 10 - and they were against poor sides. 3 games against the current top 6 we've managed a point. 

This is is no knee jerk reaction, some fans will love Carlos no matter what, he's that type of guy I realise it. But enough is enough, he's shown to have no plan B or C, his recruitment has been nothing short of diabolical since the Hull game ( one or 2 signings apart) and I fear the players are no longer with him either. 

6 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Theres a lot of straws your clutching at there - how about 'if Nando had only scored that pen against Udds' ??

The reason many want Calos to go isn't merely just the results this week, it's been building since last season and specifically the pathetic way we surrendered a golden opportunity against Huddersfield in the play offs. I was at PNE and Burton when we were poor - again. I was at Fulham - yeh good result and played well but then Brentford at home we could have easily lost if they could hit the target. Sunderland - absolute rubbish and we couldn't beat them and now Brum who couldn't buy a win. 

We stagnated after the Hull final and hardly improved despite the money spent. Eight of the players that played that day are still regulars in our side, EIGHT!! How can we have improved with that stat???

We finished near enough the same distance from automatic last season as we did the year before. This season - when the relegated teams are struggling the opportunity for a top 2 finish has never been more attainable, yet here we are a quarter of the season gone and 8 points off the top 2. We've won 3 games - THREE OUT OF 10 - and they were against poor sides. 3 games against the current top 6 we've managed a point. 

This is is no knee jerk reaction, some fans will love Carlos no matter what, he's that type of guy I realise it. But enough is enough, he's shown to have no plan B or C, his recruitment has been nothing short of diabolical since the Hull game ( one or 2 signings apart) and I fear the players are no longer with him either. 

Look mate I agree there has been a growing discontent but the glimpses we get from matches like Fulham is of an experienced group of players with a cautious manager who can, on their day, boss the best sides in the division. 

That said, I don't think It is clutching at straws to speculate on pivotal moments - Mark Brights sitter is the closest I

might ever get to seeing Wednesday win the FA Cup. But since he was one of the reasons we made it that far I have to live with his strengths and his limitations. Margin calls have cost us dearly this season - penalty at Preston, joke reffing at Burton, "Colin time" at Cardiff and the chalked off goal last night. It isn't too fanciful to speculate what Owlstalk would be like if those things had been different and we had been able to call off our one defeat this year to a dose of swine flu.

17 hours ago, Trader Dom said:

Are very quiet tonight...

What's your excuses to keep him after tonight's performance...

Well Mr 58 posts in 7 years, I don't think it's fair to split the camp on two like that - into foes and against. Unless of course it's your intention. Stick together, I mean WAWAW supposedly? Apparently not it seems 

Edited by pgmetcalf

16 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

But our city rivals also have some bang average players and they're second in the league.

What are they doing that we're not?

What they have done is bought hungry players with a point to prove.

What we have done, is bought players that think they are better than they are.