David jones

4 hours ago, ReluctantNicko said:

David Jones & Dean Marney - brilliant centre midfield duo for Burnley in the 2013/14 season (93 points).

David Jones & Joey Barton - brilliant centre midfield duo for Burnley in the 2015/16 season (93 points).

Marney the best (despite injuries).

And 26 points from his last 12 games for us ( equates to 99 points).

He looks really ordinary. But it appears he isn't.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He looks really ordinary. But it appears he isn't.

I've said it in the past and it's worthy of saying again.

If you look at the game Football Manager, the attributes used for a CM...

You'd give Jones - Anticipation, Composure, Decision Making, Teamwork, Positioning, Off The Ball, Concentration, Vision, Leadership

and Hutchinson takes - Bravery, Aggression, Work Rate, Determination

Leadership was the only questionable attribute, I've given Jones over Hutchinson, as he's available for selection more often.

Jones suffers from not being 'sexy'. By that I mean he doesn't charge round the pitch, or make bone crunching tackles that get the crowd on their feet. However, like many who play his position, he does the little things very, very well. Short passes, occupying passing lanes, and holding up play are what managers have asked him to do, and he does it without attracting too much attention, and just gets on with it.

He has become a valuable member of the team and his performances have got better as he has started more games.

Is he going to be a player that excites the fans, probably not. But he is certainly a player who does the important things unnoticed and should be recognised for his recent contributions.

Edited by kendoddsdadsdogsdead

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Hutch is s far better player but you can't argue with the stats with Jones in the side.  As s player I don't really rate him but he does suit how we play.

Guest Copthorneowl
On 17 September 2017 at 05:13, Orlando_Trustful said:

Yet again he looked good. There's no way Hutch can get back in to the 11 when he's fit. I cannot believe I'm saying it, but Jones suits our team so much more than Hutch.

Lets not forget it's not 5 minutes since Sam was being lauded as the best player we'd got and how lucky we were to have him, he has more than enough class and ability to be that again ........imo.

However like most I wouldn't change the team and he has to win his place back.

Edited by Copthorneowl

12 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

I've said it in the past and it's worthy of saying again.

If you look at the game Football Manager, the attributes used for a CM...

You'd give Jones - Anticipation, Composure, Decision Making, Teamwork, Positioning, Off The Ball, Concentration, Vision, Leadership

and Hutchinson takes - Bravery, Aggression, Work Rate, Determination

Leadership was the only questionable attribute, I've given Jones over Hutchinson, as he's available for selection more often.

One more attribute, that's especially important for this weekend 

Jones has better Discipline than Hutchinson.

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Hope not. That would be dreadful management.

5 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I don't see how that could happen unless it is forced. Jones works so much better within our setup at the moment. 

I agree but I'm going on Carlos' thinking. We play better without Hutch, the 6 game winning run being an example. Now as well with our setup, it's no coincidence. DJ keeps things ticking in midfield. He does a job protecting the back 4 whereas Hutch becomes a 3rd CB at times. 

What Jones brought to the team is quick and intelligent passing. He usually passes from his first or second touch, with precision and point. I would say that he is filling the role Alex Lopez played in CC's first season in charge, and in my opinion neither Bannan nor Hutchinson couldn't fill as well as Jones did. Allows Bannan to get on the ball bit further up the pitch, and it is helping us a lot.

Edited by malek

The best we've played since Carlos took over was the spell in the second half of his first season when Lopez played the pivot in midfield. Jones is now seemingly hitting a similar level of performance and our results are trending up again.

I still think Hutchinson could be the best centre half at the club, he's probably better all round than Lees, but as a midfielder he should be a back up.