Joao

Guest RocketOwl

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

I'd offload  Bambi and Big Dave. Thanks for the service but you are now surplus. Stick with Rhodes, Winnall, Hooper and Fletcher 

I don't see any chance that Joao or Nuhiu will ever start a game ahead of Hooper, Winnall, Fletch or Rhodes, but they are both extremely useful options as a late sub.

5 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I don't think Carlos has handled his time here very well tbh. A player with bags of potential, plenty of attributes to become a top player, but rarely used properly. 

If we're going to play with the system we used in the 2nd half against Sunderland more often (and we bloody well need to), then he still has a future here for me.

We've mismanaged Joao badly.

He's a really talented boy, who will move elsewhere and become a very valuable asset. He has everything a modern day striker needs...what he hasn't had, is the right environment to become that finished article.

For me, he's a far better option, at the minute, than a Rhodes, Nuhiu or Winnall from off the bench. Unpredictable, strong, direct and has the ability to stretch defences by making runs or dribbling at players.

He's suffered because he hasn't experience. But at the minute, this football club is crying out for saleable assets, of which we have very few. And in Lucas Joao, we have someone who, given the right opportunity, and with the right management, could become a hugely profitable player. Without doubt, he has the potential, and at the minute that's all it is, to play at the very highest level.

He shouldn't be sold but should certainly be either an option from the bench , problem is you can't have really more than 2 strikers on the bench and winnall and Rhodes are in front if your starting with 2 strikers. Way around it is to start hooper behind fletch and one other with Joao from the bench. Other than that a loan with recall option could be something to consider 

He's got the attributes. It's the game knowledge that will be make or break for him, I don't think the game has 'clicked' with him.

When (if) if does, someone will have a very good player on their hands.

It's all about how long you are prepared to wait on a player.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He's got the attributes. It's the game knowledge that will be make or break for him, I don't think the game has 'clicked' with him.

When (if) if does, someone will have a very good player on their hands.

It's all about how long you are prepared to wait on a player.

Bit like Benik Afobe was.

6 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Bit like Benik Afobe was.

Quite possibly. I couldn't really comment on him since he left us, I've not seen enough of him. He's scored goals at Wolves. And that will always gets attention. Whether he's actually fully full filling his potential as an all round forward with all the facets needed I don't know.

But....it does raise the point....he moved to Bournemouth for I belive £10m or around that figure.

Those saying we should just offload Joao I think are short sighted.

One run of games and goals (whether for us or on loan) and whether his game brain clicks or not his value has the potential to jump massively. 

I don't think we've mismanaged Joao. He has had two prolonged spells in the first team, the first was arguably his best but then he got ahead of himself and dropped off. Since then he had another spell last winter and missed some fantastic chances, then he had half a season at Blackburn with a mix of the brilliant to ridiculous.

I think he should be used from the bench on occasion , even more so given his goals today. But unless he adds that aggression and uses his size correctly I can't see him starting for us.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Unless he comes into the team and does well, or we make money on him.

Neither being out of the question as he's only 23.

Next year it will be he's only 24, then only 25 then realeased on a free transfer...

sorry but 23 is getting beyond the potential threshold in this day and age. Which is a pity as in the right team and system he can be a right  player (as demonstrated against Arsenal). It's more ifs and buts though..and he can't get ahead of Dave..

Like moat players, Joao would thrive in a team doing well that plays positive football. He's shown enough in bursts to make the Portugal national side, so not bad going really.

I cant understand why he hasn't asked for a move and gone back home. I can only imagine he can earn much more in our reserves than in the Portuguese first division.

Anyway, he's past the potential age now, and if we aren't going to okay him then the best thing for both club and player is to get him a move.

3 minutes ago, pussface said:

Next year it will be he's only 24, then only 25 then realeased on a free transfer...

sorry but 23 is getting beyond the potential threshold in this day and age. Which is a pity as in the right team and system he can be a right  player (as demonstrated against Arsenal). It's more ifs and buts though..and he can't get ahead of Dave..

True. But as I was just saying to Rumbelows91 if he went on loan. Bagged 5 in 10 someone would be sniffing because they always will for goals.

I genuinely think we can at least get our money back. 

1 minute ago, pussface said:

Yea..We let Stevie May go though..and he scored for Aberdeen Saturday.....admittedly it was his first goal in 3 years...but he made some reight runs........................

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

We've mismanaged Joao badly.

He's a really talented boy, who will move elsewhere and become a very valuable asset. He has everything a modern day striker needs...what he hasn't had, is the right environment to become that finished article.

For me, he's a far better option, at the minute, than a Rhodes, Nuhiu or Winnall from off the bench. Unpredictable, strong, direct and has the ability to stretch defences by making runs or dribbling at players.

He's suffered because he hasn't experience. But at the minute, this football club is crying out for saleable assets, of which we have very few. And in Lucas Joao, we have someone who, given the right opportunity, and with the right management, could become a hugely profitable player. Without doubt, he has the potential, and at the minute that's all it is, to play at the very highest level.

Hes 24 in a couple of weeks. He's had opportunities here and at Blackburn on loan - not really done it.

think everyone just got a bit carried away with him. Don't rate him much personally.

9 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Yea..We let Stevie May go though..and he scored for Aberdeen Saturday.....admittedly it was his first goal in 3 years...but he made some reight runs........................

To be fair he's been traveling the van Allen belt for 2 of those years defending our planet from alien invasion from the Clorgadacs,  the only survivors from the previous Universe which existed before big bang.

And he's had a cruciate problem.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be fair he's been traveling the van Allen belt for 2 of those years defending our planet from alien invasion from the Clorgadacs,  the only survivors from the previous Universe which existed before big bang.

And he's had a cruciate problem.

When he first came.

I was sat with my brother in the south.

May was getting a bit.

I said at least he runs the channel well.

" He'd be better off fu*king swimming it".

• Haha 4