I digress, but please bear with me. Back in the 1960's I happened to be in a disco when the whole Wednesday team arrived, many with wives/girlfriends. One of the younger players got progressively more drunk and anti social until Don Megson decided that he'd had enough, he had a quiet word but the player put his arm around DM's shoulder and addressed him as Don. DM went ape s..t, brushed his arm away and said "my name to you is skip or skipper until I say different, now behave your f.....g self, or we'll be having words". The player all but crapped himself and was as good as gold for the rest of their stay, perhaps FF requires Lee Bullen's hand around his throat. 

Edited by optimisticowl

2 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

I digress, but please bear with me. Back in the 1960's I happened to be in a disco when the whole Wednesday team arrived, many with wives/girlfriends. One of the younger players got progressively more drunk and anti social until Don Megson decided that he'd had enough, he had a quiet word but the player put his arm around DM's shoulder and addressed him as Don. DM went ape s..t, brushed his arm away and said "my name to you is skip or skipper until I say different, now behave your f.....g self, or we'll be having words". The player all but crapped himself and was as good as gold for the rest of their stay, perhaps FF requires Lee Bullen's hand around his throat. 

Lead by fear.... Isnt that a great way to foster team spirit?

4 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Football has changed alot since the 60's or even the 90's. 

That would never work now. 

7 minutes ago, MOwl said:

It worked a treat for the likes of Alex Ferguson.  I once worked for a company who had a p.ss head director who always had a four hours liquid lunch, he then fell into the office swearing and threatening the staff, until he tried it on me, he never did it again.

3 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

It worked a treat for the likes of Alex Ferguson.  I once worked for a company who had a p.ss head director who always had a four hours liquid lunch, he then fell into the office swearing and threatening the staff, until he tried it on me, he never did it again.

He sacked you, didn't he?

28 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Any good leader instills some fear.

Doesn't need to be much or often, but it needs to be there.

Or it needs to be perceived that there is something to be fearful of.

3 minutes ago, 33 said:

Any good leader instills some fear.

Doesn't need to be much or often, but it needs to be there.

Or it needs to be perceived that there is something to be fearful of.

Agreed. I realise i'm probably old school here but I've always preferred my managers to be physically imposing as well as better than BANG AVERAGE 

If they don't respect you they will ultimately and in time despise you.

Respect is everything but will never be earned while trying to be mates.

You can be mates but that comes after respect

We started the season with Fessi up front...ridiculous given our squad.

The manager decides who plays and where.  If Fessi has refused to play on the left against the managers wishes then he shouldn't play at all.  Even if this is true the manager shouldn't air this in public.  Sorry but whichever way you slice it Carlos doesn't come out looking good.

Just now, Muffinman said:

You make my point for me........try explaining to a foreigner that hearing about a second language makes you want to kill baby animals. Nice conversation and marks you as a psycho, but of course that's not what you were trying to say....or was it?

Even if your point is a valid one (it isn't but lets' run with it) knowing this a possibility why not employ someone who talks perfect English? Oh Lord, in addition to outing myself as a psycho animal rights abuser I'm now outing myself as a racist WTF:

PS Massive animal (especially dogs) lover and probably the least racist person you could ever encounter btw).

On face value I think that FF has responded honestly to his manager's question. It seems he is saying he is of more use to the team if he doesn't have to track back so much. I think if asked the other strikers and wide players would say exactly the same. It is fairly obvious that our defenders are the least skillful players in the squad so why does CC seem to want to sacrifice the attacking threat of our wide players by making them cover the full backs to such an extent just to allow the full backs to get forward a bit more.

If I am right CC should not have revealed what was said to the press as it is up to him to deal with the situation and do the right thing for the team.

If FF refused to play on the left CC should not have picked him to play up top on Saturday as he is not the best option with the way we play. This is compounded by the way that CC said in pre season that FF would be played wide. To backtrack so quickly and, as he implies, subject to FF's preferences is very weak management. I am amazed CC thought it was appropriate to seemingly blame FF for the team selection on Saturday. It makes neither of them look good.

If we cannot allow our most skillful player to play where he is most dangerous without an onerous defensive responsibility detracting from his threat then the recruitment or tactics are wrong.

3 minutes ago, Almat said:

Even if your point is a valid one (it isn't but lets' run with it) knowing this a possibility why not employ someone who talks perfect English? Oh Lord, in addition to outing myself as a psycho animal rights abuser I'm now outing myself as a racist WTF:

PS Massive animal (especially dogs) lover and probably the least racist person you could ever encounter btw).

10 minutes ago, Almat said:

Agreed. I realise i'm probably old school here but I've always preferred my managers to be physically imposing as well as better than BANG AVERAGE 

You may not be racist but you have betrayed yourself as a sizeist.   lol

Not a Forestieri fan but he's been absolutely stitched up here.

Asked by the manager why he isn't performing well and given an honest and reasonable answer - the manager has then gone straight to the press with this, following a poor performance, knowing full well how this will be taken by the supporters. He's thrown him under the bus. There's literally no other reason to divulge that conversation other than to deflect criticism away from him and towards Forestieri who is an easy target for fans after Norwich last year. Cowardly behaviour and not the first time.

If he's trying to say he wants Forestieri on the left but has given in to him and played him where he wants then he's lost control. If he doesn't know where to play him and needs to be told by the player himself then he's no idea what he's doing. If he has chosen to play him up front himself then is using Forestieri's comments as an excuse then he's a backstabber. Either way you look at it it's shocking management.

Forestieri can't play the wide midfielder role as you're basically asked to be a backup fullback and he can't play the striker role due to the isolation (same as all our other strikers). The truth is he is one of a long list of very good players we have who simply doesn't fit Carlos' ridiculous system. See also Bannan, Hutchinson, Wallace, Hunt, Pudil, Abdi, Reach, Matias, Rhodes... Mcmanaman, Buckley and McGeady of yesteryear. I struggle to think of a player it does suit except Hooper and Lee (who would thive in pretty much any formation lets be honest) and maybe Boyd but time will tell.

Things need to change, the way we play is madness

Edited by OohAahGuyWhittingham