New Captain?

The most likely candidate is Lees as he's vice captain to Loovens. I can't see him being vocal enough long-term and Hutchinson is ideal captain material aside from his injury record. It may be that one of the new CBs being touted gets the nod, only Carlos knows.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
8 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Loovens has been a great leader for us but:

• is in the autumn of his career
  • frequently injured
  • probably about to drop down the pecking order as CC has said we want to sign some of the best centre backs in the competition

So should he be replaced as captain to give the team a new spark to kick start the new season? If so who would it be? Lees, Hutch, Westwood, Lee?

Personally I'd go for Hutch - an absolute leader of men. 

Loovens is a SUPERB captain both in and off the field.  Leave well alone!

17 hours ago, BenOwl1867 said:

Tom Lees

Literally don't think I've ever seen him speak during a game. And only about twice off-field. Great player and lad but suspect he'd be uncomfortable as regular playing captain.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

Literally don't think I've ever seen him speak during a game. And only about twice off it. Great player and lad but suspect he'd be uncomfortable as regular playing captain.

Only time I've heard him speak was against alfreton other week. So he probably does he just isn't that loud we can't hear him.

17 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

• frequently injured
  • probably about to drop down the pecking order as CC has said we want to sign some of the best centre backs in the competition

So should he be replaced as captain to give the team a new spark to kick start the new season? If so who would it be? Lees, Hutch, Westwood, Lee?

So one of the (very valid) reasons is Loovens is often injured. Why then pick the only player more knackered in the entire team as your first choice ? 

From the current crop it would surely have to be Westy or Hutch, no question really. Fletcher is the only other candidate I can see, and you wouldn't want a striker in that role IMO. Bannan has a tendency to grumble in-game when up against it.

2 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Only time I've heard him speak was against alfreton other week. So he probably does he just isn't that loud we can't hear him.

Still, nice to hear that he was doing. He's a relatively shy lad I'm sure, doesn't tend to look at all comfortable in the few press conferences he's done. Doesn't hurt his game and it's always good when players aren't loudmouth bigheads, but yeah I'd worry he's too quiet to captain. He may yet prove me wrong, which would be fab.

18 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

• frequently injured

Seen many times a keeper as captain sees all the pitch I believe Westwood would be a good choice can command inside his box and outside protecting his box again. If not I'd say a midfielder someone like lee he can pass the commands maybe a little easier that sat in net all day. Hutch too much of a hot head we cant have him leading by example lee would show he team to work like an engine

53 minutes ago, james o connor said:

So one of the (very valid) reasons is Loovens is often injured. Why then pick the only player more knackered in the entire team as your first choice ? 

Last season Loovens played 35 matches.  The 11 he missed were all through injury.

Last season Hutchinson played 34 matches.  Out of the 12 he missed at least half were due to suspension.

So he was fit to play more games last season than Loovens, and, unlike Loovens his fitness record has improved each season he's been with us. 

I have no doubt that the team captain will be the new centre back we are signing. Whether it is Hanley, Morrison, or any of the others we have been linked with. The one common trait that links them all, is their leadership qualities. The new guy gets the arm band, while Loovens becomes club captain

Edited by gurujuan