JJ Strikes!

20 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

Think your taking my point out of context.

The fact we didn't have anyone with the attributes of JJ in the squad displays the poor recruitment last season.  Therefore, even JJ would have been a better option that what we had.

We were crying out for someone who could carry the ball and stretch Huddersfield out.  Without that threat on the pitch they were quite comfortable playing a high line and pressing us, winning the ball back quite high up the pitch.  The last 20 mins both teams were physically drained, however they carried a threat due to the pace in their side (especially Quaner down our left).  

The only attribute JJ had was pace and carrying the ball forward quickly - Jeremy Helan could do that too, but it didn't help us in the play-offs the season before, did it? Pace is only effective when there is an end product to it - forgot 20 minutes, we'd have to be waiting 20 hours for JJ to produce an end product (and I was a fan of his!).

Honestly don't remember pace in the Huddersfield side causing us problems. Their only goal came from a defensive lapse down our left resulting in an own goal - just watched it again and I run 10k's quicker than their lad moved past Pudil! lol

11 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

The only attribute JJ had was pace and carrying the ball forward quickly - Jeremy Helan could do that too, but it didn't help us in the play-offs the season before, did it? Pace is only effective when there is an end product to it - forgot 20 minutes, we'd have to be waiting 20 hours for JJ to produce an end product (and I was a fan of his!).

Honestly don't remember pace in the Huddersfield side causing us problems. Their only goal came from a defensive lapse down our left resulting in an own goal - just watched it again and I run 10k's quicker than their lad moved past Pudil! lol

Helen would have provided the option I am talking about!  JJ, Helen, some kid on loan from Chelsea, whoever!  We had no one who could stretch and push Huddersfield back.  

You can't compare last seasons play offs to the specific example I am referring to.  

Pace is effective in giving the opposition something different to think about causing space for others to exploit.  Do you think Hefele and Schindler were worried about being beaten by Rhodes with a clearance over the top?  I doubt it, so they were quite comfortable playing high up the pitch.

Quaner ripped Pudil to shreds when he came on and effectively turned the game around for them.  They also had Van La Parra on the other side who tested Hunt.

Edited by DesWalker

9 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

Helen would have provided the option I am talking about!  JJ, Helen, some kid on loan from Chelsea, whoever!  We had no one who could stretch and push Huddersfield back.  

You can't compare last seasons play offs to the specific example I am referring to.  

Pace is effective in giving the opposition something different to think about causing space for others to exploit.  Do you think Hefele and Schindler were worried about being beaten by Rhodes with a clearance over the top?  I doubt it, so they were quite comfortable playing high up the pitch.

Quaner ripped Pudil to shreds when he came on and effectively turned the game around for them.  They also had Van La Parra on the other side who tested Hunt.

I'm simply pointing out that pace alone won't make a jot of difference 999 times out of 1,000 if you simply don't produce anything at the end of it. Hence Helan didn't impact on the play-offs in 2015/16 and it's highly unlikely JJ (or someone of his ability) would have made an impact in the 2016/17 play-offs.

If we had bought on Jeremy Helan vs Huddersfield that would have meant we'd really p*ssed up our recruitment! lol

Give me a goal threat like Rhodes, who has made a career out of scoring every other game, than a pace meister like JJ/Helan, who couldn't lay on a goal or score if they played all day and night, any day of the week!

Hunt was my MOTM in the second leg, he kept VLP pretty quiet. Oh, and Quaner came on in place of Kachunga (now he's fast - and got subbed!) late on - Quaner himself isn't exactly fast!

JJ was about the only player who could get you out of your seat during a very poor time in our clubbs history. However 9 times out of 10 having got you out of your seat there would follow a disappointing/frustrating conclusion, with no end product. If we could find a player with his pace combined with the ability to cross a decent ball or find a good shot on goal even 50% of the time we would have a great player. 

He is like many wingers a player who looks a world beater on a highlights reel with many great turns, runs and goals, but who in reality is a poorer player than any of our current crop of players.

All the same thanks JJ for being the only entertainment we got for about 3 or 4 years (even if much of it was exasperated laughter).

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I want to agree with you, but then I recall the game away at Newcastle in 2009 when he played centre forward (Tudgay played deeper/midfield I think, and Francis "hit man" Jeffers was on the bench). He played surprisingly well as the target man, with a lot of high balls being knocked up to him and him taking them down and playing them off with a touch and vision that his wing play would have never suggested he possessed.

Also recall him having to step in a full back a couple of times? And probably doing better than some of the designated full backs that we had at the time (Otsemobor, Daniel Jones etc).

Anyway...One Love JJ :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Kanye West said:

One of my favorite players in the last 10 or so years, barring Forestieri we've had no one close to him in terms of entertainment. He had you up off your seat every time he had the ball, lovely bloke as well.

Not the most talented footballer but made the most of what he had. One of few during the dark times that had me off my seat when he started running at the opposition...OK most shots wayward but at least he had a pop and he did score some crackers. Lovely bloke away from the pitch too, always had time for fans, have a lot of respect for JJ and his time with us. 

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'm simply pointing out that pace alone won't make a jot of difference 999 times out of 1,000 if you simply don't produce anything at the end of it. Hence Helan didn't impact on the play-offs in 2015/16 and it's highly unlikely JJ (or someone of his ability) would have made an impact in the 2016/17 play-offs.

If we had bought on Jeremy Helan vs Huddersfield that would have meant we'd really p*ssed up our recruitment! lol

Give me a goal threat like Rhodes, who has made a career out of scoring every other game, than a pace meister like JJ/Helan, who couldn't lay on a goal or score if they played all day and night, any day of the week!

Hunt was my MOTM in the second leg, he kept VLP pretty quiet. Oh, and Quaner came on in place of Kachunga (now he's fast - and got subbed!) late on - Quaner himself isn't exactly fast!

A good attacking side has balance and options.

We had no option of anyone with pace who could stretch the opposition.  This was apparent all season, but even more so as the 2nd leg v Huddersfield demonstrated.

Getting all nostalgic I'll always remember that Sheffield Derby where JJ absolutely tore the pigs left back a new one (the match where Sodje & Tudgay scored).

You could see from the first few minutes JJ was on one, don't remember who the left back was but I bet he's still having nightmares now about it!!

1 hour ago, DesWalker said:

A good attacking side has balance and options.

We had no option of anyone with pace who could stretch the opposition.  This was apparent all season, but even more so as the 2nd leg v Huddersfield demonstrated.

In the 2 years Carlos has been here, we've never been a team with pace - perhaps that's not his style?

I'd like pace in the squad, but they have to be able to do something else as well.

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

ahhhh JJ, by and far Wednesdays most overrated player of all time. Pace and nowt else , much like Helan. Having said that, this season's snore fest kind of makes me miss that 

Overrated by who?

I can't seem to recall anything but universal acknowledgement of his weaknesses by our fans.

The flip side of the coin is that his talents (pace, occasional screaming goals (and yes, well all also acknowledge that 9 out of 10 shots ended up row Z)) brought us some at least some joy in often dark and dour times. 

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

ahhhh JJ, by and far Wednesdays most overrated player of all time. Pace and nowt else , much like Helan. Having said that, this season's snore fest kind of makes me miss that 

Scored 30 goals for us, so yeah, actually nothing like Helan.