Hirst scores again

16 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

We're foooooking about because we don't want to waste millions on a kid who is a million miles away from playing first team football.  I'd be amazed if there was anyone in League 1 who'd give him a game every week.  He's built like a child.  OK he's got a decent eye for goal but any defender older than 19 will absolutely demolish him physically.  Christ I remember people saying Madine was too lightweight and needed to bulk up, this lad is about 8 stone wet through!

He's one for the future, but at the minute the future is a decent way away!

Fair point and in my mind the main reason he is so far off the first team. 

Same for most of the development squad, all look rather talented but need to do a bit of work in the gym. 

17 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

We're foooooking about because we don't want to waste millions on a kid who is a million miles away from playing first team football.  I'd be amazed if there was anyone in League 1 who'd give him a game every week.  He's built like a child.  OK he's got a decent eye for goal but any defender older than 19 will absolutely demolish him physically.  Christ I remember people saying Madine was too lightweight and needed to bulk up, this lad is about 8 stone wet through!

He's one for the future, but at the minute the future is a decent way away!

Hi Atdhe :stuwinky:

Madine was lightweight, because the way he was used demanded someone much stronger then he was. I don't think Hirst is ready to get run of games with us, but I'm sure there are managers in League One and League Two who would find excellent way of utilising qualities that he do have right now.

No one looked more like a child to me then Alan Quinn in our last Premiership season, yet he did quite well and was one of our better players that season.

Luka Modrić was tall as your average blade of grass, andslightly heavier then one, yet he was still of of key players in Spurs "decent" Premiership team.

Robbie Fowler looked as a child when he first broke through, yet scored just under 20 goals in his first season.

There are plenty of others, who made it despite their slight frame, I wouldn't look too much into it.

The Toulon Tournament (officially the Festival Espoirs de Toulon) is a football tournament which traditionally features invited national teams composed of under-21 players. Although the first tournament in 1967 featured club teams, it has been limited to national teams since 1974.[1]The tournament is held around the Region-du-Var, with the final being held in Toulon itself.

Toulon Tournament is not run under the supervision of FIFA or an individual national association. Therefore, it is deemed as the most prestigious of all friendly tournaments involving U-21 teams, and considered an unofficial world championship before FIFA introduced the official World Youth Cup in 1977.[1]

10 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

The Toulon Tournament (officially the Festival Espoirs de Toulon) is a football tournament which traditionally features invited national teams composed of under-21 players. Although the first tournament in 1967 featured club teams, it has been limited to national teams since 1974.[1]The tournament is held around the Region-du-Var, with the final being held in Toulon itself.

Toulon Tournament is not run under the supervision of FIFA or an individual national association. Therefore, it is deemed as the most prestigious of all friendly tournaments involving U-21 teams, and considered an unofficial world championship before FIFA introduced the official World Youth Cup in 1977.[1]

top man

Definitely would have to bulk up a lot to get near Hooper,Fletcher,Rhodes.

I've actually been shocked how lightweight Jordan Rhodes is and he looks like Mike Tyson in comparison to Hirst.He's over a year older but you look at Tammy Abraham and as many have said he has a fully grown man's body and ready to battle Prem defenders.

Still, we need to tie him to a long contract on reasonable/sensible money as if bulking up is the only real issue for him right now that can be solved.Otherwise he'll be off to another side, have a year on the weights and be worth £10m and we'll kick ourselves.

This is one of those times Wednesday have to get something right to show this club has moved forward and wants to make decisions top sides do with ease on a daily basis.

Lee Briscoe  while at Wednesday 20 or so years ago played in it also. Someone else pointed out in another thread that Rafa Floro was the last Wednesday player playing for Portugal three years ago. Matt Hamshaw played when England sent an U20 squad like this time instead of the normal U21.  He never won an U21 cap.

Edited by Etchesketch

It's about more than just "getting on the weights" though isn't it.  He's been full time now for 2 years (?), I'm sure he has a bespoke nutrition and gym programme.  But some people just don't put on that body mass.  The club has a real decision to make here.  The kid clearly has talent, but that's not always enough.  It might be that realistically the best decision might be to cash in the chips.  Premier League teams can afford to take a complete punt on him.  Us probably less so with the kind of money that's being talked about.  Realistically if you were given the option between keeping Hirst or signing a quality first team player what would you choose?

Just not bothered...

Just now, mattitheowl said:

It's about more than just "getting on the weights" though isn't it.  He's been full time now for 2 years (?), I'm sure he has a bespoke nutrition and gym programme.  But some people just don't put on that body mass.  The club has a real decision to make here.  The kid clearly has talent, but that's not always enough.  It might be that realistically the best decision might be to cash in the chips.  Premier League teams can afford to take a complete punt on him.  Us probably less so with the kind of money that's being talked about.  Realistically if you were given the option between keeping Hirst or signing a quality first team player what would you choose?

Yes he has done his two year Scholarship now and next season will be his first as a fully fledged pro even though he signed his pro contract early, over a year ago because he had done so well.

9 minutes ago, Pulixifer said:

Is he a speed merchant like Vardy?

Was it a bit of an assumption to presume he was a hold up man, or are you just making unlike comparisons?

He is tall, but mobile with good burst of pace and clever movement.

It is not that he physically dominated CB's with his strength even at U-23 or U-18 level.

Sorry ladies and gents, but I really don't understand this attitude regarding his frame, and saying he is too lightweight. Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler anyone ? 

Look, George is not in their class, but saying he is NOT ready to make the step up because of his build is doing the lad a disservice.

5 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Sorry ladies and gents, but I really don't understand this attitude regarding his frame, and saying he is too lightweight. Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler anyone ? 

Look, George is not in their class, but saying he is NOT ready to make the step up because of his build is doing the lad a disservice.

It's not though is it really.  I've seen him play a couple of times now for the U23s and every time he's looked like a kid, and that's in a team full of kids!  The only thing the Hull CBs couldn't handle was his movement and runs on to good through balls.  Anything crossed into him or hit up to him just came strait out as he never had a chance.  He isn't what you'd call rapid either.  He really does have a long way to go IMO.  Yes he's scored a really good number of goals, but unless he has pinpoint service on the floor he'll get 0 goals!

Just not bothered...