Tony Adams...

Just now, owler66 said:

But to be able to defend a top centre forward of his generation they had to do him his words.

That was the game back then. You can't fart in the same room as these ponces these days. Hirsty gave as good as he got. And I'm absolutely sure the likes of Wilkinson, Eustace and Hennigan told the likes of Lyons, Shirtcliffe, Madden and Pearson to do exactly the same. 

Give their best player a clout early on. 

Some you win, some you lose. 

It was a part of football back then, it's sad because of the brilliant player Hirst was and how great he could have been without the injuries. But even back then we had our own tough players, we have had many over the years. The strong Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal teams of the 80s and 90s all had some tough men in their teams. That Arsenal defence was very good, and the main reason why they got the better over us in the two Cup's, if we had a bit more of that toughness it might have been a different outcome but we were more of a flair team in the early 90s. 

In a way it could be argued, that players get too much protection nowadays, no one likes seeing great players injured or seeing players careers cruelly shortened or ended. But it could be said, football is less competitive and a different game now, with the art of defending and tackling almost being wiped out by over protection, diving and play acting. Which makes it even easier for the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to score shed loads of goals, whereas back in the day they would have got clouted far more and would have had to avoid many strong challenges, like the true greats recieved.

49 minutes ago, vulva said:

That was the game back then. You can't fart in the same room as these ponces these days. Hirsty gave as good as he got. And I'm absolutely sure the likes of Wilkinson, Eustace and Hennigan told the likes of Lyons, Shirtcliffe, Madden and Pearson to do exactly the same. 

yeah men were men and breaking bones was ok

tell that to ian knight you ponce

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I will agree with that but the cult of Tony Adams is that he was a  defender kicking Hirsty in the fecking air aint defending 

5 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

If Hirst made more of an effort in rehabilitation than he did in his boozing we'd have been sitting pretty.

Shearer broke his leg twice and was still scoring goals in the Prem into his 37th year.

This 110%. The difference between Hirsty and Shearer was commitment and desire. Shearer seemingly happily hitched, Thirsty not so. I remember reading about Shearer celebrating winning the league with Blackburn by creosoting his fence. What would Hirsty have done??

Edited by Almat

7 hours ago, Rogers said:

If Hirst played now and had more protection, he'd have scored twice as many and played at least 100 more games. 

And been one one of the best strikers in Europe. 

Bould and Adams were just 2 of many who'd be sent off more these days. 

If they played for us, yes. Not if you play for Harsenal.

What nettled me about Adams, balding Bould, Jensen et al is that they got away with a lot because of whom they played for. Had they been on Wimbledon's books they'd have spent most of their time sitting in the stands. Mind you, I remember Adams getting a red at Hillsborough. Tw*t.

On 03/06/2017 at 16:19, BRADDO said:

George Graham was a scumbag. He told his players to nail Hirsty who was the best striker in the country at the time. That tackle was the beginning of the end for David.

Agreed but giving him injections when he wasn't ready was what set tendonitis in and the rest is history.

Edited by soldierboyblue

23 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Ian Knight was young, no guarantee on his future of potential - I've heard of stories of people saying they heard the break but I imagine time has made those stories whimsical and fanciful.

Football was hard back then and we knew less of the virtues of physio and recovery.

But I'm getting tired of people bleating about THAT tackle on Hirst. Arsenal were hard and football was different...

It was 25 years ago.

I was sat in the North on an icy Tuesday night and it happened about 20 yards in front of me, there were only a few thousand in the ground and you could hear the snap! 

Roy Keane made a career of injuring other professionals and that utter scumbag gets himself classed as a 'legend' of the game.

I simply can't stand any player who's tried to intentionally injure another. Cancer of the game. 

Honestly, if I was walking down the street and saw Roy Keane get hit by a speeding car the only concern I'd have would be potential damaged to the drivers paint work.

55 minutes ago, poite said:

Roy Keane made a career of injuring other professionals and that utter scumbag gets himself classed as a 'legend' of the game.

I simply can't stand any player who's tried to intentionally injure another. Cancer of the game. 

Honestly, if I was walking down the street and saw Roy Keane get hit by a speeding car the only concern I'd have would be potential damaged to the drivers paint work.

Missed the European cup final through suspension..By memory an FA cup final?:baby:

22 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

What nettled me about Adams, balding Bould, Jensen et al is that they got away with a lot because of whom they played for. Had they been on Wimbledon's books they'd have spent most of their time sitting in the stands. Mind you, I remember Adams getting a red at Hillsborough. Tw*t.

This. Adams and Bould were thugs and they got away with it because of who they played for. The tackle on Hirst was a shocker even by the standard of those days and to compound it, Adams followed through after he scored to make sure he wasn't getting up. It still makes my blood boil thinking about it and the weak referee who didn't even caution Bould

23 hours ago, vulva said:

Sorry but that's rubbish. You couldn't go through the back of someone even in those days. Your view flies in the face of your avatar.....Roland didn't need to try to cripple the winger to keep him quiet, he did it by skill. It makes me laugh when I hear Wenger bleating about his badly done to players have been injured by the naughty opposites who dare to tackle his players......and there is Bould sat next to him!!!!!!!!!!!!