Undead rubber

7 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

I do not care who we play, don't fear any of em. I can tell you for a fact that not one of the other 3 will be wanting to play us. So Fulham will try to beat us and reading and udders will be keeping an eye on our result. Stop wetting yourselves about Fulham. 

In a nutshell. 

Go all out for the win I want to finish as high as possible and I don't give a shitt who we play in the semis. 

I dont fear Fulham. WWWWWW. They should be fearing us.

I think whoever plays, it will pretty much be like a pre-season game. The odd challenge going in, but I doubt it will be blood and thunder from either team. I know neither team will want to lose, but I doubt too much sweat will be broken to try and equalise. Fulham fans don't care; we don't care and I doubt the management and staff of either club care too much either. It's an uncompetitive competitive match.

I would give Lee another run out. Maybe 60/70 minutes to improve his match fitness for the play-offs, play Rhodes from the start to see if he can grab a goal and lift his confidence if it is lagging a little (not saying it is, but he's not on the best scoring run of his life for some reason). Bring in Sasso, Fox and Palmer, and rest Loovens, Pudil and Hunt.

Is Nuhiu's contract up at the end of the season? If so, I think he is certain to play some part, as it will be his last contribution in Wednesday colours. Maybe give George Hirst a run out from the start, let's see where he is at with regards to his development. Midfield, McManaman can play out wide, maybe Semi in the middle.

We have some many options these days and even this seamingly "weakened" team would give any team in this league a game.

Edited by ChapSmurf

56 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

here's a thought, play the reserves including nuihu and instruct them to kick the sh*t out of any of Fulham's key players. It won't matter if anyone gets sent off and one or two Fulham players might 1.respond and get suspended or 2.get injured. Cynical I know but I bet if fezzy plays they will do the same to him.

Good idea. Except we will be kicking Fulhams reserves

Why do people still think we will be playing the kids, in particular Hirst when the U23 playoff semi is the next night?  We have enough fringe players that could use a full run out to rest key players.

I'd rest the certainties such as Bannan, Hooper, Loovens or Lees and Westwood and say to the fringe players that take their place that this is the chance for them to show that maybe the others shouldn't be automatic picks.

then say to those who need fitness (Forestieri, Lee, Hutch) and those who have players pushing for their spot to show why they should keep that place and prove themselves.

Make a number of changes but rest the most key players.

I'd go:

Wildsmith; Palmer, Lees, Sasso, Fox; McManaman, Jones, Lee, Forestieri; Rhodes, Winnall

Subs: Dawson, Semedo, Reach, Buckley, Hutchinson, Nuhiu, Matias

thats 9 changes the starting lineup with only Lees and Lee keeping their place (with half an eye on taking them off at half time or after 60 for Semi and Hutch)

11 minutes ago, StarmanNWC said:

then say to those who need fitness (Forestieri, Lee, Hutch)

Forestieri needs rest, not game time. His knee is causing issues which is why he has been limited to the latter stages in the last few games.

Edited by ChapSmurf

Play the kids/reserves, sure. Winnall has to play. Hirst should get a run out. BUT...

...tell them this is their chance to impress. Have them play all out attack for 90 minutes even if we're 3-0 up. Put the big names on the bench ready for the coup de grace. Give the fans something to cheer about.

I'd be effing delighted if we finish third regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

It's all about giving game time to players who might be needed in the playoffs.

Assuming our starting XI for the play-offs is going to be:

.....................Westwood.....................

Hunt......Lees...........Loovens.....Pudil

Wallace...Lee.........Bannan.......Reach

.............Hooper........Fletcher..............

Then we need to give game time and fitness to the players who might be replacing this XI if they get injured or suspended:

....................Wildsmith.......................

Palmer...Sasso.......Semedo.........Fox

Buckley...Jones...Hutchinson....Matias/McManaman

.............Rhodes........Winnall..............

Kieran Lee could maybe do with more football and Hutchinson is returning from injury so maybe a half each for them. Give Nuhiu and Hirst a run out off the bench.

Also, it is motivation for players like Jones or Rhodes who think they should be first team - go out and show what you can do. If Rhodes or Winnall score a hat-trick against Fulham they could earn a place in starting XI. Hopefully this team should be motivated to tear into them and try and leave Fulham with a defeat in front of 35,000 fans. If they fail, well, it's not our first team so nothing too much lost.

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

It's all about giving game time to players who might be needed in the playoffs.

Assuming our starting XI for the play-offs is going to be:

.....................Westwood.....................

Hunt......Lees...........Loovens.....Pudil

Wallace...Lee.........Bannan.......Reach

.............Hooper........Fletcher..............

Then we need to give game time and fitness to the players who might be replacing this XI if they get injured or suspended:

....................Wildsmith.......................

Palmer...Sasso.......Semedo.........Fox

Buckley...Jones...Hutchinson....Matias/McManaman

.............Rhodes........Winnall..............

Kieran Lee could maybe do with more football and Hutchinson is returning from injury so maybe a half each for them. Give Nuhiu and Hirst a run out off the bench.

Also, it is motivation for players like Jones or Rhodes who think they should be first team - go out and show what you can do. If Rhodes or Winnall score a hat-trick against Fulham they could earn a place in starting XI. Hopefully this team should be motivated to tear into them and try and leave Fulham with a defeat in front of 35,000 fans. If they fail, well, it's not our first team so nothing too much lost.

If any proof was needed that we have a decent squad, forgetting that we own Forestieri is probably itlol

2 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

If any proof was needed that we have a decent squad, forgetting that we own Forestieri is probably itlol

True. We could probably get half way to a decent third team.

I wouldn't play Forestieri next week, his knee needs rest. Seems like he won't be fit enough for 90 mins in the playoffs, at least not for both games, so will probably come off the bench for 30 like he has been doing.

We rest players for the semis but still go out and do all we can to smash them.

Let's end the media fascination with Fulham once and for all. They aren't all that and I'm struggling to see why anyone is scared of facing them.

They've come with a late run, so what. Huddersfield and Reading have been there all season and will provide a much stiffer test over 2 legs. 

The priority is to finish 3rd or 4th to ensure a home tie in the second leg. We play for 3 points, simple as. 

Guest wilyfox

Not sure which is better for us at the moment; win to try and finish high as possible, or be content with avoiding Fulham in the semis. Quite happy to let Reading or Huddersfield try and deal with them first.