Time to make our voices heard! Give us our STRIPES.

Yeah, as we move into the most critical stage of the season lets create negative vibes about a shirt that hasn't been designed yet. 

Do people really care that much...? 

Well I do. But then decades of watching Wednesday flailing around the divisions like a dingy in a violent and raging storm, does that to a mans senses!

There's a fundamental division - between those who value tradition and identity and those who are desperate to see Ryan Shawcross strut his stuff on the Hillsborough - or wherever else we end up - pitch.

lol

The Wednesday predate Hillsborough and stripes (on our kit, not the existence of stripes in general). The only reason you think of them as our identity is somebody changed the ground, changed the kit. In another 100 years, stripes and Hillsborough might be a distant memory in the collective memory of SWFC fans. They will still have the identity. 

Slight amendment and that's about 100% spot on old boy.

Stripes will be the major part of our history for a long time yet. But things have changed before, and it was actually fine. 

Edited by southportdc

Yeah, as we move into the most critical stage of the season lets create negative vibes about a shirt that hasn't been designed yet. 

Do people really care that much...? 

If there are negative vibes about the potential new design - and with this year's kit being the most popular kit in the history of the known universe that's highly unlikely - blame the fanny who proposed it. 

And I didn't write fanny. garymegson

Edited by rickygoo

Now have a look at some relegation years.

WHY WOULD WE WEAR A REMINDER OF OUR GREATEST FAILURES IN OUR BRIGHTEST YEAR?

It is far too early in the day, and I have had far too little to drink to start explaining the subtle changes to our socks which caused those inevitable failures!

But....suffice to say. I think we all know that Trevor and the boys would have lifted the title 1991-1992 First Division championship Trophy had umbro not tampered with the white stocking tops!

No automatic alt text available.

It is far too early in the day, and I have had far too little to drink to start explaining the subtle changes to our socks which caused those inevitable failures!

But....suffice to say. I think we all know that Trevor and the boys would have lifted the title 1991-1992 First Division championship Trophy had umbro not tampered with the white stocking tops!

No automatic alt text available.

I changed that post anyway, because it occurred to me that it was either during or shortly after the solid blue kit that we turned really, really bad. 

I've said many times in different threads that I absolutely despise this season's home kit. So much so that I have refused to buy it for both my kids, I dislike it that much.

In the past I would have quite liked to see us in next season's kit. However, the only option for next season would be Blue & White stripes. I'm baffled as to why a kit we wore for 7 years out of 150 is a nod to tradition.

Sadly the only way we'll get stripes back is if we refuse to buy any other kit. I won't be buying next season's home kit and will continue to boycott any home kit that isn't blue & white stripes. 

I find it bizarre that people will argue so passionately that the chairman should be able to do whatever he wants. For those arguing for success at all costs, you need to ask yourselves why you don't just bin it off and support Man City or some other elite team. I'm not suggesting you do, but just acknowledge there's a reason you still support Wednesday and that's because it's your club that you've got a lifetime of memories supporting.

In isolation, is changing our kit that big a deal? I don't like it but it's not really. Since Chansiri has been here though we have had his name emblazoned across our shirts, his name spelled out across the north stand, Thailand flags flying all over the ground, we're having minutes silences for the death of his king ffs! Ticket prices are through the roof which is a much more serious matter, and now talk of us leaving Hillsborough.

Together these things are a huge deal as bit by bit the identity of the club we have all grown up supporting is chipped away. We need to be careful because eventually there won't be a lot left that is recognizable to us. And every time there's a brigade of fans arguing to the death that we should just lie down and accept it, and they'll still be doing the same should the chairman decide he prefers red shirts to blue, or wants to rename Hillsborough 'The Chansiri Dome' or something. Why are so many people disgusted at the idea of fans having a say in how the club is run? Us as fans have spent incredible amounts of time and money on this club and will be there long after the owner. We are the club and we deserve a say.

If our entire fanbase was asked - simple question, nothing to do with how much money has been spent because the two aren't mutually inclusive, just yes or no, do you want blue and white stripes? Practically everyone will say yes. The owner knows this and he ignores us. That shows nothing but a lack of respect.

We're 7 places higher up the table since he bough us, it's not that much really.

There's a fundamental division - between those who value tradition and identity and those who are desperate to see Ryan Shawcross strut his stuff on the Hillsborough - or wherever else we end up - pitch.

lol

I wonder what happened to tradition and identity in the late 1800's when after the first 20 years or so of our existence not wearing stripes we moved to pinstripes before then moving onto the 'traditional' wider stripes?

This whole issue is why I am surprised those that really wanted stripes didn't make a big push and appeal to the club to go with a blue and white striped shirt for the anniversary 3rd kit next season. DC repeatedly said we wouldn't be going back to this kind of kit at home for a few seasons.

Thailand flags flying all over the ground, we're having minutes silences for the death of his king ffs!

Thai ownership is now a part of our identity, just as we have a banner that acknowledges the Serbian-American past owner. The identity of a club wasn't fixed when you were a kid and starting watching it. It continues to evolve.

Victorian Owlstalk would have been up in arms about the move from hoops to stripes or leaving Bramall Lane or whatever. The identity of the club was hoops.

Edited by southportdc

I find it bizarre that people will argue so passionately that the chairman should be able to do whatever he wants. For those arguing for success at all costs, you need to ask yourselves why you don't just bin it off and support Man City or some other elite team. I'm not suggesting you do, but just acknowledge there's a reason you still support Wednesday and that's because it's your club that you've got a lifetime of memories supporting.

In isolation, is changing our kit that big a deal? I don't like it but it's not really. Since Chansiri has been here though we have had his name emblazoned across our shirts, his name spelled out across the north stand, Thailand flags flying all over the ground, we're having minutes silences for the death of his king ffs! Ticket prices are through the roof which is a much more serious matter, and now talk of us leaving Hillsborough.

Together these things are a huge deal as bit by bit the identity of the club we have all grown up supporting is chipped away. We need to be careful because eventually there won't be a lot left that is recognizable to us. And every time there's a brigade of fans arguing to the death that we should just lie down and accept it, and they'll still be doing the same should the chairman decide he prefers red shirts to blue, or wants to rename Hillsborough 'The Chansiri Dome' or something. Why are so many people disgusted at the idea of fans having a say in how the club is run? Us as fans have spent incredible amounts of time and money on this club and will be there long after the owner. We are the club and we deserve a say.

If our entire fanbase was asked - simple question, nothing to do with how much money has been spent because the two aren't mutually inclusive, just yes or no, do you want blue and white stripes? Practically everyone will say yes. The owner knows this and he ignores us. That shows nothing but a lack of respect.

We're 7 places higher up the table since he bough us, it's not that much really.

Your points on the kit and identity are worthy of debate but that last sentence is ridiculous.

It may 'only' be around 7 places table wise but without the investment he has put in the realistic expectation for us would have been a downward trajectory with mid-table the very best we could hope for. The advances the club has made in the last couple of years mean much more than that last sentence.

I wonder what happened to tradition and identity in the late 1800's when after the first 20 years or so of our existence not wearing stripes we moved to pinstripes before then moving onto the 'traditional' wider stripes?

This whole issue is why I am surprised those that really wanted stripes didn't make a big push and appeal to the club to go with a blue and white striped shirt for the anniversary 3rd kit next season. DC repeatedly said we wouldn't be going back to this kind of kit at home for a few seasons.

The early part of any organisation's history involves a search for an identity.  We found it and settled on it - ditched it briefly in the 60s but realised the mistake - and now a superstitious or whatever fanny has decided to scrap it.  He doesn't like stripes so why would he accept a third kit in stripes? I don't even see any retro shirts for sale in the shop any more that are striped. And who has a third kit the same basic colours as the first kit? 

The early part of any organisation's history involves a search for an identity.  We found it and settled on it - ditched it briefly in the 60s but realised the mistake - and now a superstitious or whatever fanny has decided to scrap it.  He doesn't like stripes so why would he accept a third kit in stripes? I don't even see any retro shirts for sale in the shop any more that are striped. And who has a third kit the same basic colours as the first kit? 

So the first 20 years were a search for identity? How would anyone know during this time that this new pastime would last for the next 150 years and more?

Thought it wouldn't be the same basic colours given the issue is the lack of white stripes or white at all?

Not all clubs have a 3rd kit available for purchase, the colour doesn't really make that much difference as it would be different, the away kit would represent a change were one required for kit clashes and the choice of which kit we wear away doesn't seem to follow a pattern anyway.

Given that it is advertised as an anniversary kit, some nod towards 'tradition' would have been understandable, especially in view of those that feel the home kit is too far away from tradition.

Thailand flags flying all over the ground, we're having minutes silences for the death of his king ffs!

We have had fans continuously turn up to matches with Italian, Dutch, Czech, USA, Belgian, Swedish flags etc in support of specific players. Some of which have been mercenaries and did far less for our club than the current chairman has managed. 

DC flies the flag of his own nation at or ground, which may assist in raising our profile in Thailand and this causes you offence?

So the first 20 years were a search for identity? How would anyone know during this time that this new pastime would last for the next 150 years and more?

Thought it wouldn't be the same basic colours given the issue is the lack of white stripes or white at all?

Not all clubs have a 3rd kit available for purchase, the colour doesn't really make that much difference as it would be different, the away kit would represent a change were one required for kit clashes and the choice of which kit we wear away doesn't seem to follow a pattern anyway.

Given that it is advertised as an anniversary kit, some nod towards 'tradition' would have been understandable, especially in view of those that feel the home kit is too far away from tradition.

Ask people across the country what kit Wednesday play in the answer would be Blue and White stripes. Before Chansiri came along no-one was suggesting changing that. It was perfect. Up he pops and the idea emerges. Unlike, say Geordies or Mackems, we don't care what he does because he's got brass or do care but have our mouths so stuffed with a combination of tuna, wee wee tail and money we go along with it.  I don't like it - but I'm still going to watch Wednesday at Ipswich and I've renewed my season ticket. The fanny has me over a barrel. 

Ask people across the country what kit Wednesday play in the answer would be Blue and White stripes. Before Chansiri came along no-one was suggesting changing that. It was perfect. Up he pops and the idea emerges. Unlike, say Geordies or Mackems, we don't care what he does because he's got brass or do care but have our mouths so stuffed with a combination of tuna, wee wee tail and money we go along with it.  I don't like it - but I'm still going to watch Wednesday at Ipswich and I've renewed my season ticket. The fanny has me over a barrel. 

If you'd ask football fans that question when we became a club for 20 years, when no one knew how long football would be around for or how popular it would be, no one would have said blue and white stripes.

It's not having us by the balls, he has been given a fair amount of leeway to change things but a change of colour would make fans take action to stop him.

What makes Chansiri a 'fanny' in your eyes?